shape
carat
color
clarity

Classroom proposal ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mjl5007

Rough_Rock
I''m preparing to propose to my 23yo girlfriend of almost 6 years who is just about to finish her first year of teaching middle school (6th through 8th grade), and I''m thinking of doing it in her classroom. Apparently the topic of her getting engaged has already come up with her students because she told me that she told them it would be before school is out for the summer. Thus, I''m not terribly worried about the possibility that she would rather keep her personal life separate from her professional/at-school life.

I''m not looking for something like making a video and playing it to the whole school or proposing over the PA system; that''s a little too public. My initial idea was to have a staff member come to her classroom to tell her that she has a delivery to pick up in the main office, which would be flowers from me. Meanwhile, while she went down to pick it up and was stalled for a couple of minute by the secretary, I would slip into her classroom, have the staff member that came down inform the kids in the class what was going on, and wait for her to come back from the office, hopefully thinking to herself that I was up to something (she knows it''s coming soon obviously and the flowers would tip her off) but that it wouldn''t be until later that evening and she would have to wait in anticipation for the rest of the day. Then, to her surprise, I would propose right then and there when she got back to her classroom.

What I''m still unsure about is what should happen when she gets back. Should I be waiting in her room in plain view, or hiding in the back somewhere, or maybe not even in the room but down the hall? I could write "Will you marry me?" on the blackboard and have her kids point it out to her when she came back in (if she didn''t notice it immediately herself). Another idea would be to quickly plant a trail of rose petals leading up to her classroom door while she was down at the office, or have the kids form a "human tunnel"-type thing outside the door, which would give away that something else was going on other than just flowers before she made it back into the room. Or, I could make little signs on card stock stapled to paint stirrer sticks to hand out to all the kids that say something along the lines of "Say, "YES!"" for them to hold up when she came back in, or just enough of them to spell out "Will you marry me?". I could do it late-morning right before her lunch break so she could show off her ring and receive congratulations and tell the rest of her kids for the rest of the afternoon, or wait until the last period of the day (when she has 6th graders, who would probably be more excited about the idea than 8th graders) so she didn''t have to get through the rest of the day before being able to leave and come home.

Anyway, I''m looking for other ideas, variations, suggestions, opinions, anything you can throw at me!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
You have some good ideas so far...

I agree about the 6th graders being the most receptive and enthusiastic about the classroom proposal...and she won''t have to wait as long to go home at the end of the day if you do it later in the day...(I would lose ability to concentrate on my work after something like that!)

I like the ''getting her to the office to get the flowers'' ploy and the ''say yes'' signs, on paint stir sticks idea to include the kids, as well as the writing out ''will you marry me?'' on the board...you could be kneeling in front of her desk when she walks in!

I''m sure she will be thrilled with whatever you come up with! My niece taught third grade the year she got engaged (he didn''t propose in the classroom) but the kids were very interested...and some even came to her wedding the following fall...it was cute to see them all dressed up and so happy for their teacher!

Good luck with the proposal!
21.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
How about getting a couple of the students involved by passing a note back and forth pretty blatantly? When she confiscates it and looks to see what it says, she would find "Will you marry me?" You could either be hidden or in the hall, depending on the arrangement of her classroom. Maybe as she is reading it, one of the other students lets you know it's time.

Just a crazy thought.

mjl5007

Rough_Rock
Ooh, I like that idea! My only concerns would be A) her not confiscating the note and/or not reading it when she confiscates it, and B) coming up with some way to know when she''d read the note since I''d have to be hiding in the hallway.

Maybe I just give a kid the note, and once she comes back in, puts the flowers down on her desk, explains that they''re from me, and then the kid goes "Oh! I was supposed to give this to you...", walks up and hands it to her. It could also just say "Say YES!", that way I can come in from the hallway and actually ask the question.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 5:03:47 PM
Author: mjl5007
Ooh, I like that idea! My only concerns would be A) her not confiscating the note and/or not reading it when she confiscates it, and B) coming up with some way to know when she''d read the note since I''d have to be hiding in the hallway.

Maybe I just give a kid the note, and once she comes back in, puts the flowers down on her desk, explains that they''re from me, and then the kid goes ''Oh! I was supposed to give this to you...'', walks up and hands it to her. It could also just say ''Say YES!'', that way I can come in from the hallway and actually ask the question.
I think this would be very sweet. I would prefer to hear the question than read it, so having the kids signs/notes/whatever reading ''say yes'' would be my preference.

mjl5007

Rough_Rock
One last question (it's trivial, but what the hey)...

Should I call her by her first name, or by "Miss " as she's known to her kids, since it'll be in front of them? Miss I think would be cute, but she might prefer her first name. Thoughts?

Vancity

Shiny_Rock
I would use her entire given name when you pop the big question.

ie:

"Miss Bertha Hortence Pachumpski - will you make me the happiest man in the world and marry ME?"
9.gif

Best of luck!
36.gif

Kasey3

Shiny_Rock
Does your girlfriend have tenure? If she doesn't this may not be a very good idea! The administration may not be too happy about classroom interruptions. As a teacher, I have never seen educational instruction interrupted for a delivery of flowers. The flowers are held in the main office until the teacher has a free period. Also, while your girlfriend may not mind the students knowing her personal life, the administration may not be too happy with the student involvement.

I just offer this to you as something to think about-you may want to OK it with her principal.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 9:44:16 AM
Author: Kasey3
Does your girlfriend have tenure? If she doesn''t this may not be a very good idea! The administration may not be too happy about classroom interruptions. As a teacher, I have never seen educational instruction interrupted for a delivery of flowers. The flowers are held in the main office until the teacher has a free period. Also, while your girlfriend may not mind the students knowing her personal life, the administration may not be too happy with the student involvement.

I just offer this to you as something to think about-you may want to OK it with her principal.
I definitely agree with this as you don''t want to get her in trouble after only one year teaching there. If the admin says it is okay, I think you have some great ideas. As long as you think she wouldn''t mind the public proposal at school.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
I agree - get it approved by the principal ahead of time (the more teachers that know, the faster word could spread and ruin your surprise). Assuming the principal is ok with it, perhaps you could avoid most of the class interruption/going to the office part by staging it to follow her lunch break... when she gets back to her classroom. I personally like the idea of having the kids involved. Definitely 6th graders over 8th graders I think.

Not quite a proposal but have you seen the ending of the movie "The Guardian"? Great movie and good inspiration for you. You''re on to a really great idea and I look forward to hearing the story.

Treefrog

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results