shape
carat
color
clarity

Boston.... Any Suggestions.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trid316

Rough_Rock
Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.

My GF and I will be taking a trip to Boston, and I was planning on proposing there. But I''m not quite sure how or where.

Does anyone know of any good restaurants/romantic places/events/shows/etc.

Any other ideas for Boston!

Thanks in advance :)

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I''m born and raised here in Boston and one of my favorite places is the dock for the Swan Boats in the Public Gardens. Back when I was in hgih school, I loved sitting on the dock to draw and sketch. Wait until after the the boats are done for the day, I think it''s 6 that they stop. During warm weather, there are people strolling the area but it shouldn''t be loud and crowded, so if you sit and talk there like my boyrfriend and I do, you shouldn''t be disturbed by people around. It''s nice to look at the water of the pond and watch the ducks and swans going by. Just don''t get too excited and fall off into the water!

trid316

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help! I was planning on going out to dinner, and doing something just like you described after dinner. We won''t have a car while we''re out there (well, at least while we''re IN Boston, cuz we''re gonna travel 1 day to Martha''s Vineyard at the end of the trip, but I want to do it early, so I don''t have to carry the ring around and try to hide it). So yeah, we''re staying at the Colannade, on 120 Huntington Avenue, Boston, so I''m not sure how close that is, or if we''d be able to take the train/public transportation to this area, or not, but I will look into it.

Thanks for your help :)

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
I know the area of the hotel. Right across the street there is Christian Science Church complex and there is a huge reflecting pool. I''m not sure if it''s filled yet, but it''s pretty in the evening/night. If you still want to go to the Public Gardens, you can hop right on the green line at the Prudential stop and take it to Arlington stop, then walk through the park. Or, just can make it a romantic stroll down Commonwealth Ave which leads right into the Gardens. There is a Cheesecake Factory right across from that hotel also, and so many more cafes and restaurants in the area.

Boston Diamond Guy

Rough_Rock
If your going to do the city, I agree with both the comons or Christian science center area. but if you can, get up high... there are a few restraunts located ontop of some of the larger buildings in boston. Not sure if the Boston Alumni Club is open to Non b/c members but fantastic view from there. Top of the Hub... Also, if you head down south into Quincy, there are some nice water front restraunts... or the Cape... Chatam light house, something like that. And congradulations.

trid316

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the thoughts so far. I just made a reservation at the Top of the Hub for Sat night. Some of the reviews I read said that the food was just average, view was amazing, and staff had a little attitude, so I''m keeping my fingers crossed. But it should be a good time for the price :)

And then I''m gonna play it by ear. Possibly the Garden, or just walk til I find the right place. Any other locations to actually pop the question.....? I just don''t feel right asking in the restaurant.

I''ll welcome any and all suggestions. So far, very good ones!

THANKS EVERYONE!

NoonersMom

Shiny_Rock
Proposing in a restaurant depends on your GF. Is she a public or private person? Personally, I hope that it doesn''t happen in a restaurant, but again, that''s just me. I *love* the idea of the reflecting pool. What a great way to reflect on your relationship past, present & future during a proposal.

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
They get a lot of proposals at the Top of the Hub so if you tell them ahead of time that you are going to propose that evening (just not there !! ) ask them to reserve you a table by the window and if possible overlooking the State House and Boston Common. That should start your evening off on the right note. The view is beautiful at night.

A girl I used to work with had her proposal on the Common. From what I remember her fella rented a limo and picked her up from work and they drove to Boston Common ( he may only have rented the limo for an hour because our office was by the common!) .....they dropped them off by the side where the swan boats are. He must have gone earlier and set up a picnic on a little island and he kept a plank nearby that he balanced between the main side and the island, he walked her over it and there was champagne and nibbles waiting and then he proposed!! Very sweet and I think they went to the Bristol lounge at the Four Seasons right by there and had more champers!!

You could definately do a variation! I think it would be lovely to have a limo pick you up after the show and drive to the common....walk her to the bridge where the swan boats are (they will be stacked away at night!) and then propose under that stars. Then you can jump back in the limo for strawberrys/champers and maybe have the limo take you on a mini sightsee of Boston by night (if she hasn''t been here before).

The reflecting pool is also a sweet idea but I find it a bit concrete around there but then I haven''t been there at night in a while.

I''ll have a think of some more places......Boston is very romantic !
1.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
So what''s the difference between:

(1) The common

(2) The place where the Swan Boats

(3) The Public Garden.

Here''s what I have worked out so far:

Blue Man Show is at 4pm, we''ll take cab or train there from our hotel. Or walk if it''s super close.
Then, we''ll do dinner at the Top of the Hub. I tried to call and get a window view, but they said they can''t guarantee it. They put it down as a preference, but said it''s first come, first serve. So if we have to wait a little, we will, cuz I think it''ll be worth it. But I have reservations for 7pm. And I figure dinner will take about 2 hrs. SO I''m thinking to have a limo pick us up at 9pm from the hotel, take us on a mini tour of the area. And then take us to the Common/Swan Boats Area (or the Public Garden??), where we will take a little walk, and then I''ll proppose. We''ll return to the limo, for a little more touring. As the limo requires 2 hours minimum, that should should suffice for timing. Maybe even have champaigne back in the limo. Which will then return us to our hotel. Where I hope they could possibly maybe even have something special for us waiting in the room. I will have to check on that, maybe rose petals, more champaigne, candles, etc.

Hopefully that should all make the night memorable! My credit card company will certainly remember it :)

Any suggestions on limo services?

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Sorry...it is a bit confusing , The Public Garden and Common are seperated by a road - the swan boats are on the public garden side (but will probably be stacked away by dark). Sorry - I have been here too long and forget they technically are different. The Common is the anchor for what is called The Emerald Necklace - basically a series of parks all (figuratively) connected , which includes the public garden.......here is a link to an overhead picture .

Boston Common

You can see the water (where the swan boats go) and the bridge going over it and you should just be able to see the road that splits the public garden from the Common which should help give you some bearings.

I only know 2 companies for limos......hope these help.......

Boston Coach

Commonwealth Limo

You hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the Playhouse - or $5 in a cab. Its on the green line (boylston is the stop) one block over.

Not sure how long you are staying in Boston but your hotel also has an excellent restaurant which does a fab brunch on weekends!

Sounds like you will have a fantastic evening!! Can't wait to hear stories & pics!
36.gif

trid316

Rough_Rock
Since I''m planning on renting a limo after dinner to take us on a little mini tour of the city, would there be anywhere else that anyone could think of as a premier spot to actually pop the question? The Garden/Common Area will work great, but just double checking all my options....

Thanks to everyone who has put in so much input :) It is GREATLY appreciated!!!

3 weeks and counting
17.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 9:39:25 PM
Author: trid316

Blue Man Show is at 4pm, we''ll take cab or train there from our hotel. Or walk if it''s super close.

You might want to reconsider going to that show. Blue Man Group *can* get messy.

You might want to consider Meritage at the Boston Harbor Hotel http://www.bhh.com/ My husband and I went there for our anniversary last year and we enjoyed it very much. Nice views at sunset and the walk along the harbor there is very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results