shape
carat
color
clarity

2 Proposal Ideas...Help me choose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
I am having the ring built as I type. 1.66ct H VS1 H&A in a Tacori 2620 setting.

I have 2 thoughts for the proposal:

1. Take her on a picnic at hanging rock park /www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php]Website[/url]">> We go on picnics all the time, and I would plan on packing some chocolate covered strawberries, crackers, dip, gourmet cheese, and some wine. Depending on the pace of the evening I would take her on a walk to one of the waterfalls or the rock cliffs and ask her to marry me. I''d have some take a picture or I would bring a tripod with me to take the shot/video.

Problems with this plan: weather

2. Take her out to dinner at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville /www.groveparkinn.com/gallery/Sunset-Terrace/Sunset_View_2]Picture[/url]">> I would reserve a table with a nice view and wait till desert and slip a note into the menu asking her to marry me.

Problem with this plan: she has a dog and they''re not allowed in the hotel and she can''t leave it at home because we are going to my place that night.

Let me know your thoughts about each idea and any ways to avoid the problems that I mentioned with each plan.

chanpear

Rough_Rock
Hello, Mattcv, First, congratulations. I think that the first option sounds so awesome. Since you have picnics all the time, it may be more of a suprise than going to a nice restaurant, and more privacy. I looked at the website, and the place looks beautiful. As for the weather, is it possible to maybe check the weather report ahead of time? If not, the restaurant is also a nice option. If weather is not a problem, and you like both, what aboout maybe going to hanging rock earlier for the actual proposal and maybe going to dinner at a different place later on that evening or the next day to celebrate?

As for the dog (s), is it possible to bring him/her to your place ahead of time, so he/she won't be alone at her place? I'm not sure how far you live from the inn, but is it anyway possible to tell her that you want to "get away" for a couple days and if the dog (s) can be left with a friend or dog-sitter? Which ever option you choose will be the right one. I'm excited for you; let us know how it goes. Good luck, and again congratulations!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your first option, because it''s not "an everyday" event like diiner at a restaurant and its a bit more secluded I think. My hubby did this at the park for a picnic, but he enlisted a friend to hide in a brush where she took pictures throughout the picnic, very memorable.

Good Luck either way, it will be special.

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
I guess my biggest issue with the weather is it leaves things to the last minute. I do agree with you guys that a picnic will be more of an "us" type event.

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
If i was going to pick the picnic here are the two places I would want to pop the question. What are your thoughts on each?

1. Waterfall
2. Overlook

chanpear

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, well, I looked at the pictures and I think that if weather wasn't great, to stick with the cascades . I'm just assuming that it's a shorter hike, and on lower and more stable ground (I'm personally not a heights person). The lower cascades look so peaceful...but that's if the weather wasn't great.

If it's a beautiful, sunny day, the scenic view will probably be breathtaking, and I'd think it would feel like "being on top of the world" ...

You mentioned bringing a tri-pod or camera of some sort, you want to get pictures, so I'm not sure which place would be the best as far as setting it up and everything and how heavy it might be.

Also, pls. post pics of the ring once you get a chance. It sounds great, we'd love to see it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gosh that waterfall is absolutely gorgeous, however, I like the overlook this way you can get more "sun" if the weather isn''t up to par and you can get some nice pictures in.

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
I am planning on taking her on a picnic this weekend and bringing the tripod to take some pictures (I''ve never brought it before). Do you think this would make the time that I actually plan on proposing less suspicious?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/20/2009 5:47:17 PM
Author: Mattcv
I am planning on taking her on a picnic this weekend and bringing the tripod to take some pictures (I''ve never brought it before). Do you think this would make the time that I actually plan on proposing less suspicious?
yes, so she doesn''t think you''re up to something if you start using the tripod well in advance, she''ll just think its just another ''one of those'' things you do ... how exciting! can''t wait to see the ring and hear how it went
36.gif

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
Alright, one last issue. Again it is to try and remove suspicion. The week before I wanted to take her out an get her a manicure and pedicure so the ring will great on her finger.

1. Would the manicure still look good a week later if she got the french tip things?
2. Shes never been before, is that going to make her think something is up?
a. if it does make her think something is up, any suggestions on how she could get her nails looking nice without making her suspicious?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, I would think it would be very suspicious if my then DH did that for me especially if I was not one to get those routinely. Do you think you can give her a manicure gift right after the proposal or schedule an appointment for her right after the appointment I know its not so romantic, but at least its not a giveaway, and you can still have her treat her hands before you take pictures, just a thought

ETA: I'm impressed that you know what french tips are...lol my DH still dont know. but I've only had one manicure and that was for the wedding over five years ago

chanpear

Rough_Rock
If she's never gotten a manicure before, then it would be suspicious--unless you can say something like, I just want you to relax, you've been working so hard, etc, etc... If it's a week before, she may forget about it by the time you're ready. Most people get a nail touch up or manicure every 2 weeks, so it should be ok...

or, if you're up for it, this may be a little less suspicious, but maybe you can look at your hands and say, wow, my hands look really bad, and say you have a hangnail or something and would she be willing to go with you to get a manicure.

treefrog

Brilliant_Rock
You can''t go wrong with either location. They are both winners. Whichever one works into your plan better.

As for the surprise... if using a tripod for the proposal, getting her used to it beforehand is the only way. She may be suspicious the first time but will be immune to it after that. Another option is recruiting a ''stranger''. I suspect both places would routinely have visitors so it wouldn''t be unusual to see somebody there. This doesn''t have to be a total stranger but somebody she doesn''t know that can act like a tourist. Could be a co-worker, friend of a friend, whatever. Just make sure they''re reliable. It wouldn''t be unusual for a tourist to be taking pictures in either spot. Your tourist would have your camera, taking touristy pictures when you show up with her. When you drop down on your knee with the ring, you''d have plenty of pictures of emotion, first reaction, etc. You have to do a very hasty proposal with the self-timer otherwise. See thread...I think it''s below here and called something like "she said yes".

Manicure. The only way you can pull this off without tipping her off is if a friend of hers convinces her to do it. It would have to be a friend you absolutely, positively trust not to let the cat out of the bag. Good luck with that. I say do it afterwards for the ring shot. You don''t need it for the actual proposal. If you absolutely want the total surprise... do it afterwards.

Treefrog

HHP

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 2:35:50 PM
Author:Mattcv
I am having the ring built as I type. 1.66ct H VS1 H&A in a Tacori 2620 setting.

I have 2 thoughts for the proposal:

1. Take her on a picnic at hanging rock park /www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php]Website[/url]">> We go on picnics all the time, and I would plan on packing some chocolate covered strawberries, crackers, dip, gourmet cheese, and some wine. Depending on the pace of the evening I would take her on a walk to one of the waterfalls or the rock cliffs and ask her to marry me. I''d have some take a picture or I would bring a tripod with me to take the shot/video.

Problems with this plan: weather

2. Take her out to dinner at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville /www.groveparkinn.com/gallery/Sunset-Terrace/Sunset_View_2]Picture[/url]">> I would reserve a table with a nice view and wait till desert and slip a note into the menu asking her to marry me.

Problem with this plan: she has a dog and they''re not allowed in the hotel and she can''t leave it at home because we are going to my place that night.

Let me know your thoughts about each idea and any ways to avoid the problems that I mentioned with each plan.
Wow...The first choice sounds amazing..My husband proposed to me before we ever laid eyes on each other..:) Let me explain...We met 15 years ago on-line..I know I know not smart..but anyway we both were just divorced and were in a chat room on AOL and we had similar screen names..(I used to tournament water ski YEARS AGO and he loved water sports.)....so we started idol chit-chat.I figured no harm I lived in Alabama he in California...3 weeks later I got a box in the mail ...one of his shirts with my wedding band pinned where his heart is and now15 years later still in love more and more. We live in Alabama 4 kids,3 dogs and lots of surprises and love everyday!! So follow your heart and in 15 years you''ll look back and smile like reading your proposel made me..:) Blessings to you

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
The manicure would make me very suspicious. Unless you can get a friend of hers to tell her that they had a bad day and would like her to have a manicure with them.

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
I like the picnic idea. Not everyone would be comfortable being proposed to in a restaurant. The picnic idea sounds very romantic and like it is something meaningful to you.

I would go with the previous poster''s suggestion of scheduling the mani/pedi for after the proposal. It would be waaay suspicious if you gave it to her beforehand. And it would definitely not last a week. If I''m really lucky, I get 5 days out of the nail polish. I''m sure she will love getting the mani to show off her new ring.

Good Luck - you are very sweet to put so much thought into the proposal!

Mattcv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the comments and I think I am going to go ahead with the picnic. Unfortunately, I wrinkle has come up that I need your opinion on.

For reasosns I cant discuss (in case my FF comes across this forum) I need to propose on a certain day and missing that day would push back the engagement 3 months. The problem is my gf has 2 meetings that day which could stop my plans from working. Before I scrap the idea or delay it do you think it is appropriate to call the individuals who are heading the meetings to ask them to reschedule?

If so, any suggestions on how to do it with out putting her in an awkward position?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2009 9:48:14 PM
Author: Mattcv
Thanks for all the comments and I think I am going to go ahead with the picnic. Unfortunately, I wrinkle has come up that I need your opinion on.

For reasosns I cant discuss (in case my FF comes across this forum) I need to propose on a certain day and missing that day would push back the engagement 3 months. The problem is my gf has 2 meetings that day which could stop my plans from working. Before I scrap the idea or delay it do you think it is appropriate to call the individuals who are heading the meetings to ask them to reschedule?

If so, any suggestions on how to do it with out putting her in an awkward position?
Is the meeting during the day ? if so, then I would just pick her up on the way to your picnic. Is this an "important" meeting? work related? If its something that can be schedule for another day, and you know that for a fact (after some sleuthing) then maybe if you are comfortable to call and ask. I usually wouldn''t do that, unless she''s been at her job for quite some time, and everyone is a bit laid back. In some business its probably in appropriate, but if her work business is a laid back atmosphere then it might be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results