shape
carat
color
clarity

Union Diamond - Excellence in Action

Delta

Rough_Rock
I just posted this on iVouch as well, so forgive me if you happen to be Google searching and have come across my review there also...

Buying an engagement ring can be a daunting and intimidating task, especially if you've never done it before. Buying an engagement ring over the internet is perhaps only slightly less nerve wracking than the thought of having one's wisdom teeth pulled out with a pair of pliers and without the benefit of anesthetics. Believe me, I was one of those terrified people up until recently.

I had planned on reading information on various sites about how to select the best diamond, and then start shopping locally, where I could see what I was getting in person. In my several week intensive process to further educate myself about the diamond business, I ran across reviews of several well known internet sellers.

One name that seemed to pop up rather a lot was Union Diamond. As I began looking at more of the reviews, I noticed that they were all overwhelmingly positive. Then I began looking at their prices, and comparing them to some local big named jewelry chain stores.

All of a sudden I began pondering the imponderable - perhaps I should begin looking online to complete my quest for the perfect engagement ring? I began putting my criteria into their search engine and came up with a veritable plethora of candidate stones. After winnowing my list down a bit, I came up with a couple of strong options, the primary one a .9 ct, H color, VS1, with excellent polish and symmetry.

I called Union Diamond, and spoke with Leah Cawley, one of their senior diamond consultants. I recognized her name from several of the positive reviews I read, which helped me breathe a little easier. I told her that I couldn't afford the ring that my girlfriend deserved, but I wanted to get the very best possible stone with the money that I had to work with.

Leah was completely understanding of my nerves and situation, and assured me that she would help me find a great stone for my girlfriend. The 30 day return policy also helped set my mind at ease.

I told her about one of the stones I was interested in, and voiced my concern that that particular stone was EGL and not GIA graded (having just read an article comparing the two labs' grading standards.) Leah was very honest with me and said that yes, EGL labs do tend to be slightly more forgiving in their grading than GIA stones (which is why they tend to be less expensive), and that the stone I was looking at would probably have been graded an I or J, and SI1 by the GIA.

Since the price of the stone was still well within my criteria for what I was searching for, and was a near match for a similar GIA J, SI1, I was ready to pull the trigger. Leah contacted me before I placed my order however, and told me about a stone that they had just gotten in that was not on the website yet. It had all the stats that I was looking for, at slightly less money than the EGL stone, and carried a GIA grading report, and laser inscribed girdle.

I put the stone's vital information into the HCA cut advisor, and it came back with extremely favorable results for fire, light return, and scintillation. I called Leah up, gave her my pertinent info, and was off to the races.

Because I was also ordering the setting from Union, it was going to take a few days to be ready, and because of this, it looked like I was going to just miss my girlfriend's family get-together to pop the question. I told Leah about this, and asked what it would cost to expedite my shipping to make sure I received the ring in time, and she told me she would take care of it, at no charge.

Friday morning rolled around, and I nearly tackled the FedEx driver when he pulled up outside my door. I rushed back inside with my package, ripped open the envelope, and got the first look at my fiancee's new ring. It was *stunning*! Leah had been completely right about how great it looked. It sparkles like nothing I've ever seen.

When Saturday came, and I presented the box to my girlfriend, she burst into tears (and said yes!). She absolutely loves her ring - it seems to have mesmerized her. Even a couple days later, I still catch her staring at the ring on her finger, and rotating it around under the lights. When I told her I could send it back if she didn't like it, she nearly slugged me. She thinks the ring is perfect.

So, in summary, buying a diamond on the internet isn't quite as scary as it sounds, as long as you educate yourself (go to Pricescope), purchase stones graded by a well respected organization (GIA or EGL), and are dealing with a trusted seller like Union.

I wound up with a diamond that looked better than the local big name chain's 'Peerless' diamonds that I viewed in person a few days earlier, at less than half of the price they were charging. This allowed me to get a stone substantially bigger than I would have gotten if I'd bought from the local stores.

Strongly consider looking through Union's selection, and if you give them a call, ask to speak to Leah.

Ring.jpg

Delta

Rough_Rock
I hate to throw out too many compliments for fear of sounding like a shill, but I took my, or rather my fiancee's ring in for an appraisal by an independent GIA graduate appraiser yesterday. The appraiser's company is responsible for gem/jewelry industry publications as well as software used in the appraisal business, so they had no bias in things one way or the other.

Her estimation of my ring and setting were very favorable. She was obviously exaggerating a little, but said that Union Diamond probably made enough profit on my sale to buy some coffee and donuts. She also said that Union actually under-appraised the value of my ring for insurance replacement purposes, and raised the estimated retail replacement value approximately nearly 20% above Union's ERV.

In all, she was very impressed with what I paid for my stone and setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results