shape
carat
color
clarity

Courtroom Jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
There is sort of a discussion about this in my other thread, but I''''d like to get opinions from others.

If you work in a courtroom as an attorney, judge, or other legal personnel, what is your job and what kind of jewelry do you wear, or what do you see others wear? What do you think is appropriate or inappropriate to wear? Have you seen judges or jurors be distracted by the jewelry an attorney was wearing? Does it make a difference whether the attorney is a civil attorney, a public defender or a prosecutor? Should any diamonds by worn at all? If so, what is the maximum appropriate size?

I''''d love to see a discussion on those questions. Please feel free to comment on as few or many as you want, or any others that are related.

Thanks!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I chimed in on the other thread where this came up as well. Going before a judge, unless I knew they had a reputation for picking on people, I would probably wear my e-ring (and w-band when it comes) and some other smallish jewelry (small studs, thin bracelet, watch, etc.). I agree with the nothing big or blingy. My e-ring at 1.3 ct is substantial but not something that calls too much attention to itself. I might leave it behind if I were going before a jury just b/c it is sparkly. I would also leave home the charm bracelet or other noisy jewelry. Big hoop earings are a no. Maybe something like a locket. I think the idea is to avoid distraction and come off as a capable and authoritative, but not overbearing or ostentatious, person.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i am not sure i have the same opinion as others here. i think that one needs to be conservative in their appearance when in court or any other business situation. i do not think that it means if you are wearing a wedding set that it will distract the other participants. i know this is a commonly held opinion but i am not sure it holds true.

some law schools offer mock trials and the mock jurors then critique the attorneys. i have known of these sessions becoming more about the appearance of the young attorney than their performance. some go on and on about any mannerism or how someone was wearing their hair or the length of the dress. hopefully by the time one gets to the court room they will know that conservative is the order of the day. i do not consider conservative to be austere.

moderation is the key word i would use here. i personally would not be distracted, jealous or offended by a pair of basic earrings, a wedding ring and or engagement ring, and a watch. to be truthful, i think this is reasonable if one wishes to wear these items. i wouldn''t wear more myself but if others did i don''t think i am that easily influenced that it would bother me. some attorneys have become known for their "different" styles. while i would not aim for that i think that the cream comes to the top no matter what they are wearing.
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on what you''re doing in the courtroom.

Whether it''s right or wrong, people make assumptions about other people based on appearances. In normal day life to a certain extent, but surely moreso in a courtroom where you''re trying to determine someone''s guilt or innocence, and whose story one should believe.

As a defendant, it seems logical that one should look as ''innocent'' as possible. If one is in jail, I guess you wouldn''t be allowed to wear your jewelry anyway, right? But barring that, simplicity would seem key to me. I would wear a wedding band (nothing blingtastic) and my engagement ring IF it wasn''t considered large or expensive.

As a lawyer I would still probably play it understated. A huge ring might make it seem that you are very successful and competent, but it might also make you seem materialistic, and by default more concerned in the ''prize'' than what''s ''right.'' It sounds absurd but you gotta wonder - sometimes people really do think this.

As a jury member, hell, I''d wear nice jewelry. If I had to be separated from my friends, family, tv, etc...I''d want something to keep me company and make me feel better.
9.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
If I were defending myself, e.g. traffic ticket, I would not wear my ering, only wedding band. Maybe a gold chain, pearl earrings. Anything else could breed contempt by authorities, IMO.

As a juror I would look as woebegone as possible! I don''t want to be a juror! I certainly would NOT wear anything expensive at all.

I got called into jury duty on a murder case. I got out of it by saying the two defendants'' appearances frightened me considerably and I did not like being in the same room with them. (Truth actually - and they beat a guy to death
14.gif
). Attorney let me out. Now if I somehow were forced onto that case you best believe my good stuff would not accompany into courtroom filled with murderers and their family members!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iv done a lot of computer work in courthouses and attorney offices and the answer is...
it depends...
Every courtroom and Judge is different but most are pretty conservative in how they dress.
Bling can be a distraction in some situations and no problem in others.
The majority of people I have seen who work in courtrooms keep it simple and on the conservative side.
E-ring doesn't matter much because its expected but smallish earrings, simple or no necklaces and a mid-range watch are pretty much the norm here.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Unless of course, you are in Judge Judy''s court. She sports some beautiful bling!!

Sorry, had to add my silly comment
37.gif

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
One thing I do wear almost every time I go to court (which isn''t nearly as often as a prosecutor!) is my great grandmother''s good luck pendant. It is a small (slightly smaller than a nickel) gold filligree-type pendant with the hebrew word for luck in the center. If you didn''t know what it was (even if you read hebrew) you''d never know what it said.
I think there really is a big difference going before a judge than before a jury. I do also think that your average person in the courtroom is going to notice more what you don''t wear -- we had an attorney when I was clerking who walked in wearing a cotton jumper over a t-shirt with elastic sandals. This was a federal government attorney. EVERYONE noticed that.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was he/she reprimanded?!

tx10

Rough_Rock
I am a recent law school grad, so my experience is limited to the classroom. However, my trial advocacy professor (who spent over 20 years as a prosecutor) had some valid opinions on the matter. She said anything that would distract the jury from listening to her was OUT. She never wore anything that moved, made noise, or otherwise drew attention to itself. She also ALWAYS wore her wedding band. I agree with others that it is best to err on the conservative side.

My fiance, also a lawyer, says he never trusts a male lawyer who wears jewelry other than a wedding band and watch. He''s had this theory for some time, and it repeatedly proves true for the lawyers he deals with.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, you just reminded me that I''m on standby for jury duty at the end of the month, which means I have to call in the night before and learn whether or not i''m needed. It is my first time being called at all, and I hate to say it but I''m not looking forward to having to deal with it, period. I live in a suburb of Chicago and if I do have to go, I have to go all the way downtown and I''m so nervous to do so, I have never gone downtown by myself and I''m sorta terrified.

Back to the subject at hand, though, I would say as far as bling in a courtroom if you''re in the legal profession it would be appropriate to have the attitude of "less is more." I''m thinking courtroom lighting would emphasize any bling no matter what the size, and I think wearing a wedding set, watch, and earrings would qualify as professionaly understated. As a potential juror, I don''t think I''ll be wearing a ton of jewelry, maybe WG earrings, my wedding set, and watch. I may even leave my e-ring at home, even if it''s not huge by today''s standards!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Monarch - I had to go downtown Chicago for jury duty about 3 years ago. I was nervous, but somehow I made it and everything was fine. No worries. Just buy a round-trip Metra ticket www.metrarail.com and then get into a cab once you arrive(there are plenty of cabs around the train), so you do not have to worry about how to find the building. You will walk into the building and there will be several security guards around, if you need directions.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ick Monnie, I did jury *service* (as they call it in NC) a few years ago. Luckily it was over in two days (of course I was chosen for a trial!)

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This thread made me smile. As a juror in April at a two day trial, I noticed that both the defense attorney and

the Asst. DA were both using cheap plastic pens like you get in the mail (a sample).

They didn''t wear any flashy jewelry but the defense attorney wore a tacky tie with baseballs on it to

welcome opening day. If my life is at stake, I want my attorney to be able to afford (or use) a

quality pen.
20.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

peridot83

Shiny_Rock
My bf was on a jury recently and they DO notice things like rings, pens, clothing (I mean you''re in there for hours ...for sometimes multiple days...your mind wanders). If it''s a lawsuit with money involved, I def. wouldn''t want to wear anything bigger than a 1 ct diamond ring (or whatever is small side of norm in your area).

People will think:

Look at that greedy person/lawyer, already has a nice diamond ring why do they want more money?
Or look at that diamond ring, they can afford to give their money away!

If you''re not a lawyer, or one of the parties, I imagine as long as it''s tasteful... no one''s going to really care that much.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
plus I am ashamed to say the trial I was on was BORING! I thought it would be more "Law and Order." So anything distracting probably DID distract.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think simple and tasteful is never something you can wrong in. I would notice certain things, because that is the type of person I am, and though I am not sure it would impact negatively or not, it is usually best not to call attention to things needlessly. I think certain judgements are automatic and reflexive, whether we want to cop to them or not. A simple band, watch and small earrings is not ever inappropriate in a work setting, especially if you are a public defender. You want your persona and skill to stand out, you would not want to stand out because you have evening make up on, or highly inappropriate clothing or too much jewelry.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, Jeff if I do get chosen for jury duty (I''m on standby), I will check out the lawyers'' pens, ha! It''ll definitely give me something to scrutinize besides everyone''s bling!

Omieluv--thanks for the heads up. I always forget about cabs for some reason...I like to walk but not in unfamiliar territory. If I do end up getting called, I am fortunate enough to be assigned to the Daley building which I hear is a plus. But now I''m not as freaked out knowing I can just hail a cab as soon as I get off the train!

Elise

Rough_Rock
oh yes. and a very elegant understated watch and no bangles or bracelets! they are far too distracting when you are flipping through your submissions or notes.

diamond ear studs are good too.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
My father is an attorney, who feels it is best to dress conservatively, which includes jewelry to a minimum. Since he has been practicing law, he has seen a range of people dressing very conservative, to people wearing flashy jewelry. He says it just depends on what you are doing at the courthouse in the first place. If you are going there to file paperwork and will not be involved with a case, he says it probably doesn’t matter what you wear, as long as you appear professional.

Monarch - You are correct, the Daley center is ideal! There are other locations, some are terrible, some not so bad. In terms of location, you will be just fine. I do not work far from the Daley building & I do walk there from the Metra, though it does take me about 15 minutes. If it is a nice day and you would not mind walking, go ahead and take a cab and then walk back, if you are brave! What I always do is print out a MapQuest map, so that I can map out the most direct walking path from the train to my destination. I am not sure which Metra Station you will be coming from, but if you get out on Madison & Canal, you can walk down Madison Street and then turn left onto Clark (the building is on the corner of Clark & Randolph). A cab ride will cost you $8-10 (not including tip) & you can just tell them you are going to the Daley building...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 1:09:56 PM
Author: omieluv
My father is an attorney, who feels it is best to dress conservatively, which includes jewelry to a minimum. Since he has been practicing law, he has seen a range of people dressing very conservative, to people wearing flashy jewelry. He says it just depends on what you are doing at the courthouse in the first place. If you are going there to file paperwork and will not be involved with a case, he says it probably doesn’t matter what you wear, as long as you appear professional.

Monarch - You are correct, the Daley center is ideal! There are other locations, some are terrible, some not so bad. In terms of location, you will be just fine. I do not work far from the Daley building & I do walk there from the Metra, though it does take me about 15 minutes. If it is a nice day and you would not mind walking, go ahead and take a cab and then walk back, if you are brave! What I always do is print out a MapQuest map, so that I can map out the most direct walking path from the train to my destination. I am not sure which Metra Station you will be coming from, but if you get out on Madison & Canal, you can walk down Madison Street and then turn left onto Clark (the building is on the corner of Clark & Randolph). A cab ride will cost you $8-10 (not including tip) & you can just tell them you are going to the Daley building...
Thanks omieluv!!! I''m taking the BNSF (green line), and I think I''ll plan on taking a cab to the Daley building, but I''ll print out a mapquest in case I end up having time to walk. I still have to check the train schedule to see how the timing will work out. I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks again!
35.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2007 1:19:37 PM
Author: monarch64

Thanks omieluv!!! I'm taking the BNSF (green line), and I think I'll plan on taking a cab to the Daley building, but I'll print out a mapquest in case I end up having time to walk. I still have to check the train schedule to see how the timing will work out. I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks again!
35.gif
No problem! Here is the direct link to the BNSF schedule: http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/bn.shtml
Also, here is the link to the Metra station you will be arriving at in Chicago: http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/chicagounion.shtml

This station is located on Adams Street, which is 2 blocks away from Madison. Since Madison & Adams run the same direction, you can take Adams to Clark (turn left on Clark) and take Clark to the corner of Clark & Randolph. The Daley building is black & the other buildings near it are lighter in color, so you cannot miss it.

EDIT: Should you decide to walk, you want to head toward the Adams street bridge!

caveat_emptor_lex

Rough_Rock
As an attorney in the midwest, "city attorney" and "country attorney" looks must both be cultivated.

In the Federal Courts and in the city minicipal courts I will wear my wedding band, my custom birthstone/class ring from law school, a low profile watch and quality cufflinks. My clients are usually corporations that portray a certain image that I mirror.

In small town courts, I wear only a watch (with a leather strap) and my wedding band.

I have both Montblanc and Waterman pens, but prefer to use the Watermans in court, because they still look nice, but won''t be missed as much if lost.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 5:59:58 PM
Author: caveat_emptor_lex
As an attorney in the midwest, ''city attorney'' and ''country attorney'' looks must both be cultivated.
I have both Montblanc and Waterman pens, but prefer to use the Watermans in court, because they still look nice, but won''t be missed as much if lost.

I do not want to threadjack, but I had to share this old letter with you. I wasn''t sure I could find it on the ''net, but the ''net is an amazing place. I had a yellowed copy of this in my desk drawer for years! I remember this for the line in which the Laramie, Wyoming attorney tells the expensive one in California that in Laramie they''re lucky if a lawyer wears sock to court :).

Laramie Letter

Deb
34.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2007 2:18:33 PM

Date: 6/22/2007 1:19:37 PM
Author: monarch64

Thanks omieluv!!! I''m taking the BNSF (green line), and I think I''ll plan on taking a cab to the Daley building, but I''ll print out a mapquest in case I end up having time to walk. I still have to check the train schedule to see how the timing will work out. I really appreciate your suggestions, thanks again!
35.gif
No problem! Here is the direct link to the BNSF schedule: http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/bn.shtml
Also, here is the link to the Metra station you will be arriving at in Chicago: http://metrarail.com/Sched/bn/chicagounion.shtml

This station is located on Adams Street, which is 2 blocks away from Madison. Since Madison & Adams run the same direction, you can take Adams to Clark (turn left on Clark) and take Clark to the corner of Clark & Randolph. The Daley building is black & the other buildings near it are lighter in color, so you cannot miss it.

EDIT: Should you decide to walk, you want to head toward the Adams street bridge!
Thanks so much omieluv! You''ve been so helpful, I really appreciate it. My DH lived downtown (Bucktown area) for 5 years post-college, and was raised in the suburbs close to where we live now, so he''ll also be able to direct me as I''m not from here, but it''s so nice to have your help as well. You''re a "gem!"

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2007 3:50:01 AM
Author: AGBF

Date: 6/22/2007 5:59:58 PM
Author: caveat_emptor_lex
As an attorney in the midwest, ''city attorney'' and ''country attorney'' looks must both be cultivated.

I do not want to threadjack, but I had to share this old letter with you. I wasn''t sure I could find it on the ''net, but the ''net is an amazing place. I had a yellowed copy of this in my desk drawer for years! I remember this for the line in which the Laramie, Wyoming attorney tells the expensive one in California that in Laramie they''re lucky if a lawyer wears sock to court :).

Laramie Letter

Deb
34.gif
Love it, AGBF, thanks for sharing that! ROFL!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results