shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for appraisers/experts about apprailal received

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Nice typo in title. Sorry.

Hi all. So we moved and I needed a new appraisal for my e-ring....I brought it to a local jeweler who was nice and worked with me to get an appropriate value for the stone...

I received the appraisal, and it does not have the GIA numbers in the body of the appraisal...it simply says there "on the GIA certficiates attached"...
emotion-40.gif

Of course I know this is not acceptable
emotion-15.gif
....I asked for him to add the GIA cert numbers to the cert and he wants to simply write them in with his signature....
He says he doesn't "save his work" on the computer so that god forbid there is a break in people won't know where to find a nice 3 stone...etc....etc...(strange but understandable).... so he wants to simply hand write this info..he actually wants to put his initial...I will insist on a full signature....

So I guess the question is, is it sufficient for him to simply handwrite the cert numbers in (the rest of the apprasial is typed out) and put is signature...Or maybe I should really insist on him re-doing it having the GIA cert numbers typed with the rest of the info...I mean, come on, who wouldn't know that you need the GIA numbers on the cert?....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This ring is old news for sure...but the appraiser included the best picture ever so I wanted to share since I was never able to capture it in my (very) old posts....
(and I'm still thinkin that Cushion Guy :) used my ring in his PS banner ad :) ) God I love modern cushies and have (very) distant dreams of nice Leon prongs!

MMMthree.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask him to redo the certificate. His job is to provide you with a professional appraisal and you paid him to do just that.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that''s what I''m thinking MC...I would hate for this to be a thousands of dollar mistake bc I didn''t insist upon it or pay for another appraisal with someone else...

How much are satisfactory appraisals going for these days?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Well, I can''t answer any of your questions, but, I did want to pop in and tell you how much i love your ring! I never tire of looking at it!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
on legal documents hand written additions are generally allowed if they are initialed but it does look unprofessional and he should just retype it.
It will take less than 5 min so not doing so is just being lazy.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2008 12:30:32 PM
Author: MC
I would ask him to redo the certificate. His job is to provide you with a professional appraisal and you paid him to do just that.

I agree. While he's at it, he really should consider keeping records. It's one of the basic requirements of USPAP and it's one of the cornerstones of doing professional work. There are lots of ways to encrypt files to protect records from prying eyes and yes, I recommend that too.

Here's a pretty good protection solution

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others, and also with Neil about the records. I understand his reasoning, but there must be ways around that?! What if a client needs to make a claim and has lost their original ppwk - they go back to the appraiser, who has no indication of ever meeting them - where are they left?...
40.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much guys...I will do.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results