shape
carat
color
clarity

Which would you choose? WF X-factor or ACA RB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Everybody!

I''m pretty new around here, a lady patiently waiting
1.gif
I am trying to decide on an engagement ring and am having so much trouble. I have narrowed it down to two shapes(!): (1) the WF X-factor or

(2) ACA round brilliant

I know, two totally different looks.

Here are some links to stones in his price range:

(1) http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-28.htm#

Stats:
1.011 J SI2
5.58x5.59x4.12 mm

(2)http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-283255.htm

Stats:
0.83 I SI2
6.05x6.08x3.72 mm

So first, which would YOU choose and why?

And second, do you think there will be a big difference in size?

I remember looking at that thread with the circle in the square and the square inside the circle, and I think it was decided that a square with smaller measurements may look the same as a round with slightly larger measurements. Did I understand that correctly? Please help a newbie, your opinions are greatly appreciated and highly respected,

Thank you!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
First off, they are really different looks and you should base most of your decision on preferences of a general look.

However, here are some reasons to go for a round:
1) they sparkle more
2) it will definitely face up noticeably larger
3) they are easier to find stock settings for
4) they are classic

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I feel so silly, there is almost the same post today! I must have been writing while it was posted, I honestly didn''t mean to post such a similar question! Newbies must be frustrating
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2007 2:40:57 PM
Author: shimmer
I feel so silly, there is almost the same post today! I must have been writing while it was posted, I honestly didn''t mean to post such a similar question! Newbies must be frustrating
1.gif
meh, don''t worry about it. There are many repeated questions here and that''s fine. It helps other newbies who might also have the same question.

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
I chose a RB because that is what I always expected my diamond to be, but the X-factor is cute, too and what my daughter thinks she''d like (she''s 21) I thought that the RB are sparklier, too. I did get a diamond from WF very much like the RB you chose and I love it, It is being set now so I don''t have it and I MISS IT. BUT I want you to know that most of the other RB in that size are more money, so if you are really interested in it, and need that price point, please put it on hold. That one is a little bigger than mine, and came up after I picked mine--I almost switched but decided I wouldn''t be able to tell unless they were side by side.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Kcourssolle & HappyAnniversary, thank you for your response.

Do you really think the RB will be sparklier (is that a word?) than the x-factor? I see it being sparklier than the average princess, but the x-factor seems like such a great cut?

UHHH! I wish I could go to WF!

I''m leaning toward the x-factor b/c my hands are square-ish and I think it looks better on it than a round (I just cut out shapes from the amazon diamond size form (thank you to the poster!) that was posted on the princess vs. round thread, should I post pics and let you decide?), but I do want maximum sparkle...what''s a girl to do?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2007 3:07:29 PM
Author: shimmer
Kcourssolle & HappyAnniversary, thank you for your response.

Do you really think the RB will be sparklier (is that a word?) than the x-factor? I see it being sparklier than the average princess, but the x-factor seems like such a great cut?

UHHH! I wish I could go to WF!

I''m leaning toward the x-factor b/c my hands are square-ish and I think it looks better on it than a round (I just cut out shapes from the amazon diamond size form (thank you to the poster!) that was posted on the princess vs. round thread, should I post pics and let you decide?), but I do want maximum sparkle...what''s a girl to do?
Yes definitely, well cut rounds are more sparkly than anything else and this will be a noticeable difference.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Shimmer,

Yes, an ideal cut RB is definitely gonna be more sparkly than a princess or an X-factor, but if square is what you like, you should definitely go for it! I was in the same dilemma as you regarding the shape v.s. sparkle, but in the end I followed my heart and chose the X-factor.

I think the X-factor performs better than most princesses. I just received a 0.591 carat X-factor less than 2 weeks ago and I'm SO in love! X-factors come with cut-corners, so it has a less "harsh" look, no vulnerable corners and have a bigger face-up size than normal princesses. You can check out my thread for some gd pics of an X-factor. It looks 100% better in real life though!

BTW, I won't recommend an X-factor in J colour, cos princesses tend to show colour more than rounds. I'm afraid there aren't a lotta X-factors to choose from though.

WF X-factor, 0.591ct, F, SI2, Waiting for its setting!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Shimmer!
If you prefer square cuts, there are a lot of choices...princess, x-factor, asscher, flanders, etc...all of which will perform differently. If you want a square shape with the performance of a rb, I''d take a look at the sqauare hearts and arrows from GOG. If you do a search here you''ll find a few, and they are absolutely gorgeous. Hope that helps!

TaraLeigh

Rough_Rock
I really think that you should figure out which one YOU like best regardless of size. Don''t forget that the setting you choose can make the stone look bigger as well.

But since you asked... I would pick the X factor hands down! lol

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i would choose a superbcert princess with the round table, the good old gold square hearts and arrows, an royal asscher, or a WF ACA round.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Tara tt the setting plays a part too! A thinner setting will make the stone pop more, but a thicker setting will make the whole "package" look more substantial.

If you''re purely a size girl, I''ll suggest you go for the RB, since it faces up larger and hides more colour (so you can sacrifice more colour for size). On top of tt, it''s a more timeless cut. However, if you''re a square lover, I think you should go for a square (duh!)! You''ll need to sacrifice a bit on size though, cos you can''t go too low for colour (like J), and the face-up size will be smaller.

This is my X-factor, 4.8x4.75mm, in a trellis setting (the old crappy one with the horrible workmanship), size 4.5. You can''t see how sparkly it is here, but hopefully this helps you on the size issue. Do keep us updated!
2.gif

xhandshotset1.jpg

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thank you for all of the advice (especially the pic, gladyskristen, I''m sorry the setting didn''t work out but dang that rock is gorgeous!). I am waiting to hear from GOG on the prices of the square H&A (I think those are the best of both worlds!) and *cross my fingers* hopefully there will be something in his budget, I''ll let ya''ll know!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it comes down to personal preference. As awesome as ACA rounds are, I didn''t want a round stone, so I chose a princess. I''d go with the X-factor even though it will be a bit smaller. Check out the cut-corner squares at Good Old Gold as well.

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick the X-factor, but only because I tend to prefer a squarer shape and the X-factor is so unique. I bet noone in your circle would have one, and it''s kinda neat to be the only one with something. In the end it all depends on what shape you prefer. Sure, sparkly is nice, but if your preference is for something square you may never be happy with the sparkly round.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Similar dimensions both are 6 x 6... in that case I believe John and some of the experts said that IF they are similar in dimension the square will look bigger. SO... square!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results