shape
carat
color
clarity

V-TIP OR PRONG FOR PEAR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Which type of prong (?) offers more protection for the tip of a pear??

I am finally picking up my stone today and having it set.
36.gif

Kinda hard on my hands and want the best protection for my precious. :)

Thanks,

YMA

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your stone!

My original engagement ring was a pear shape and the jewler said that he would no set it in anything other than a V tip to best protect the point and to keep it from slipping out of a regular prong in the event I whacked the ring (which I did many times over the the years, LOL).

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dee Jay my fellow Chicagoan, I think??? :)

If I have been following the post correctly.

Well I am in south-western suburbs.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do a v-tip to protect that pointy end too; slightly more diamond coverage and secureness than a prong.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A wide prong, such as a V tip for the pointed end of a stone, is preferable for spreading the load or reducing the potential of damage being created. A V prong can''t prevent everything, but it helps in many cases. A V prong does make for greater stone security because it helps more to prevent a losened diamond from turning and becoming a lost diamond.

Some designs just can''t handle a V tip. Insurance companies don''t care, so you can use a wire prong instead, but it is good to know the downside.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I think the V tip would offer more protection. THe point is very vulnerable and I was heartbroken whe the point broke off my original engagement ring.
The insurance company only wanted to pay to have it re-cut but it would have lost a good deal of weight and the proportions would have been off. I finally got them to pay and we had to add the difference for a replacement stone but it was not my original ring.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey.....what happened to the princess?
34.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
I traded in my Radiant for this one, I was so undecided and I tried the pear on and fell in love.

I never even considered a pear until I tried it on, plus the price was excellent.

I couldn't pass this one up, especially when I placed it next to my radiant and it sparkled waaaaaaaaayyyyyy more to me.

Plus everyone and thier momma it's seems have the princess cut, it seems everywhere I look it's a princess.....and it was the one my husband like better:)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
pears look bigger too!
36.gif

good for you yma! i''m so glad you found something that you are happy with. wear it in good health.

btw...i''d get the v-tip
28.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
IIIIIIIIIIIIII kkkkknnnnnnnoooooooooowwwww, I must confess that was a deciding factor too hehehhe!

My Radiant was 2.02 and the pear is 2.37 but it looks way huge when I compared the two side by side.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you plan on showing us this lovely pear.
31.gif

V tips do offer more protection. However I have a prong on my pear tip, though mine is haloed so if I were to 'whack' it, that'd impact first. But I have insurance nonetheless!!
1.gif

(When my pear was in a standard solitaire setting though, it had a V tip)

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
V-tip here, too, unless I was haloing it like FG. Congrats on getting the stone! Looking forward to lots and lots of pics!
3.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
emteeth.gif
As soon it''s in my hot little hands and I can wrangle the camera from one my little(teenage) brats.

I am so excited I can''t even sit at work and concentrate, I wish I could leave work early.

nala2000

Rough_Rock
I would definately choose a v-tip. I have the single tip on my pear and I am constantly worried. I am in the process of finding a new setting....

The Show me your pears thread is quite an inspiration!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock

Date: 6/15/2007 2:34:40 PM
Author: nala2000
The Show me your pears thread is quite an inspiration!
I hope you will be adding your ring to it! I would love to see your pear. What are you considering for a new setting?

nala2000

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of mine with the single tip....

014resized.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
V tips are better, but as long as you are insuring the stone I wouldn''t worry about it too much.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s beautiful, and HUGE! How big is it? Can we see closer pictures? It''s awesome!!!

YMA

Shiny_Rock
WOW, Nala what are the specs on that baby!!!!

I looks so white and huge!!

I am sitting here looking at the clock I cannot wait untl 4pm so I can zoom outta here to pick up my lovely, I hope I make it!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope the time flies by...though it always seems like an eternity.....
3.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
It''s so funny that Nala''s skintone and hand looks like mine but my nails are shortties.
1.gif

I keep going back to that picture trying to imagine how mine will look. hehehe

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
v tip.

nala2000

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone -

My pear is a 2.78 carats, J colored, SI2. All of the other specs are at home....I will post when I get home....

YMA - Can''t wait to see your pixs.....
36.gif

nala2000

Rough_Rock
It''s a GIA certified J not EGL J....It faces up white! I would attribute it to the cut.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
I couldn''t leave work early so now I have to wait another day!!!

NALA your ring is gorgeous, after seeing it makes it all the more torturous(?sp) that I have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results