shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I Reset This?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I bought this diamond (and ring) pre-PS. The center stone is 2.28 ct. I/SI2 (GIA). The setting is 3.22ct. in 18K yellow gold and platinum. Since I bought this, I have been wearing mostly platinum and white gold. (I have multiple e-ring style rings and many wedding style band that I like to mix and match.)

I think my style has changed, and in addition, I will most likely be working as a prosecutor after I graduate from law school next year (and hopefully pass the bar), where I think a less blingy style ring would be more appropriate.

I''m considering get the stone reset into a classic style, like SC''s Tiffany replica.

I just need to hear some opinions- yes? no? another setting?

maroundweddingring.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would set it in a princess channel set band with two flanking princess channel set bands so you could just wear one band or two bands or all 3 together.

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''d use the princess cuts in a dbty necklace.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
If your style has changed and you have outgrown the setting then change it!!!

But personally, it appears to be a ring that commands attention and that may favor a prosecutor!!!

Good Luck
MWG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes another setting.

Something to make that diamond pop. I would do something thinner for the setting use two or four of those princesses kite set like Irina''s setting below only with maybe a little thinner parallel metal bands, and use the princesses for a eternity band.

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/TrillionFor-Realtor.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes another setting.

Something to make that diamond pop. I would do something thinner for the setting use two or four of those princesses kite set like Irina''s setting below only with maybe a little thinner parallel metal bands, and use the princesses for a eternity band.

TrillionFor-Realtor.jpg

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t really want to take apart the setting. If I do this, I would set something else in it eventually. Plus, the princess stones are tapered to make the curve of the ring, so I don''t know how well they would work in another setting. Frankly though, after having this ring, I really don''t want another one with princess cuts in it.

I don''t want a ring that is so blingy that jurors are looking at that, thinking about how much it costs and how I got the money to pay for it, etc. I''d rather have something that is not distracting in that way, if that makes sense. Maybe this is over-thinking things, but I think a more classic style would be better.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
LOL..... You have 2 carat solitaire!!!! No matter what setting you put it in, it will draw attention!!!

How about just leave it at home....when you try cases in court!!!
Date: 6/12/2007 12:47:13 AM
Author: MaryAlaina
I don''t really want to take apart the setting. If I do this, I would set something else in it eventually. Plus, the princess stones are tapered to make the curve of the ring, so I don''t know how well they would work in another setting. Frankly though, after having this ring, I really don''t want another one with princess cuts in it.

I don''t want a ring that is so blingy that jurors are looking at that, thinking about how much it costs and how I got the money to pay for it, etc. I''d rather have something that is not distracting in that way, if that makes sense. Maybe this is over-thinking things, but I think a more classic style would be better.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about an evening necklace... a nice DBY type chain his that diamond as the enhancer... so you can take it off for day and put it on for night.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if I got off track of your question...I wouldn''t even wear earrings in court. No flash...you would be risking too much in loss of attention to the task at hand. These people have had to take off from work...stopped their lives to make the justice system work...watching you flaunt your success is not a wise choice. After all the work you will have had to endure to get to your position~that should be sufficient to demand respect.

I would wear just a simple metal wedding band to convey trust...(even if I wasn''t married). There are appropriate times to wear your beauties, but this is not one of them. Of course that is my opinion. I would never wear my treasures say during an deposition...but I never wear mine in a financial situation anyway. What is the advice you will give you clients if you were the defending attorney? Don''t come to court blinged out...conservative dress...conservative hair...lighten up on the makeup. Best advice for anyone entering that door.

After reading your reply, not sure what you are asking. You don''t want to use the other stones? Put the other stones in a bangle or bracelet. You already have so many rings...you can''t wear them all at once. So why not place it in a pendant? That way you can wear it...you know you have it on, you just slip it inside when it is SHOWTIME. But remember you also risk offended colleages...slippery slope.

DKS

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
yes, reset.

the setting is pretty dated, but keep it for when it comes back into style.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 1:50:47 AM
Author: ladykemma
yes, reset.

the setting is pretty dated, but keep it for when it comes back into style.

ditto!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You might want to consider wearing a smallish [inexpensive] ring in a rather plain setting to court. Jurors may feel they can trust a "poor working girl" more than some flashy, highly compensated attorney. When you go out for a party or an event, put opn the big ring and have fun with its size and show. You could have the entire ring Rhodium plated to look white in color and with only infrequent wear, it would remain white for a nice long time.

When I go to court, I don''t like seeing jewelry on lawyers which takes attention away from their job, which is to have an effect on the jury. To succeed in this, one must make contact with them and have them pay attention. Anything which distracts them from your words, is not a good idea.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
If it means you'll wear that rock more, definitely reset in a simpler setting. No reason to let it gather dust!

Just to clarify, most starting prosecutors are far from highly compensated. In many places starting public school teachers and police officers make more than entry-level DA's. It is unfortunate that many people assume that all lawyers are well paid.

I agree that if I was going before a jury I would probably leave my sparklies behind. A simple band and small pearls are good for that sort of thing.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Here is the way to use the setting untouched, i grabbed this pad (though it's $$$) because of the shape and color i like but you can have fun picking your own colored stone right?
ETA: oops, i forgot 4 prongs at the corners, or a bezel on the short sides, because it's not going to be a tension but close.

M_A-ringg0.jpg

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 10:34:26 AM
Author: Pricescope
Here is the way to use the setting untouched, i grabbed this pad (though it''s $$$) because of the shape and color i like but you can have fun picking your own colored stone right?

ETA: oops, i forgot 4 prongs at the corners, or a bezel on the short sides, because it''s not going to be a tension but close.

Now that is interesting! I actually like the idea of a colored stone in the setting, but I''m probably more of a blue or pink person. Any way you could do it with a blue sapphire?

I had a criminal trial practice class this past year, and putting on a whole trial with a partner was the final for the class. I wore a simple platinum band and small pearl earrings. Perhaps that is a good standard to get in the habit of wearing.

I agree with the comment about pay for DAs. I know I won''t make much, but thankfully, I''m not in it for the money. I doubt anyone will think that the government is paying us a lot.

Regardless of all that, I still want to reset it, and I do NOT want to take apart the setting. I have a DBTY necklace (with rounds) and don''t wear bracelets. It is worth more to me to set something else in it later. And it has some sentimentality to it, so I don''t want to sell it.

Maybe I just feel I''m in a different stage of life then when this was purchased.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like what Sara said...use some of those beautiful stones in your reset! Take some of the princesses and make them into a single-row channel-set band for the engagement ring, then make the rest into 2 matching single-row wedding bands.

Or if you're really into the solitaire idea, are there enough princesses for a tennis bracelet?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your other post about not reusing the princesses. Then the colored stone RHR idea (that you wouldn't wear to court) would work nicely!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sure i can make it blue, just tell me what kind of blue and what to do with yellow "bezels", are we going to plate them?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would definately reset the center stone. I would take the princesses and make an eternity band out of them or even a 3/4 band if you are worried about sizing. I''m not sure that would go with a round solitaire so you could wear it on your right hand maybe?

I''m not a big fan of big busy settings and on your skin color I prefer platinum.

I think platinum and white metals look best on pale/pink skin tones and I think that yellow looks wonderful on darker and olive skin tones.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
MA, I am a long time lurker who drools over all of the rings on this site - and yours definitely are at the top of the list...

That being said, I would probably vote for a very simple solitaire setting for the center stone and add a blue sapphire as has been suggested into the setting.

The real reason I''m responding is the court "attire". My grandfather was a justice at the state supreme level and in his experience and opinion at all levels as a judge, he too tended to notice - and discount - big bling on the attornies. He loved jewelry on women (as could be attested to the pieces he bought my grandmother) but did not like to see them in court. Even when she went to watch a trial, she went w/ her plain band and very small pearl or stud earrings.

Congrats on the hard work in school and best wishes w/ your future career!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 11:29:42 AM
Author: Pricescope
Sure i can make it blue, just tell me what kind of blue and what to do with yellow ''bezels'', are we going to plate them?

I like a medium, kind of royal blue (or a tiny bit darker, but not inky dark) the best. I would leave the yellow gold, as personally, I think blue sapphires look better in yellow than in white.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 11:48:39 AM
Author: jmtomaui

The real reason I''m responding is the court ''attire''. My grandfather was a justice at the state supreme level and in his experience and opinion at all levels as a judge, he too tended to notice - and discount - big bling on the attornies. He loved jewelry on women (as could be attested to the pieces he bought my grandmother) but did not like to see them in court. Even when she went to watch a trial, she went w/ her plain band and very small pearl or stud earrings.

Congrats on the hard work in school and best wishes w/ your future career!

Thanks! I guess I should have made a separate thread about "courtroom jewelry"! I appreciate your comments. While I wasn''t sure if I would want to wear a 2+ ct. solitaire in court, I''m glad to hear that my thoughts were true(about wearing a plain band). I wasn''t actually sure how others'' opinions ran on this.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 1:40:20 AM
Author: door knob solitaire

I would wear just a simple metal wedding band to convey trust...(even if I wasn't married).
DKS, that had me rolling in stitches for some reason...because the irony is hilarious to me. 'Fibbing' to convey trust...THAT is a hoot.

MA, I would definitely reset that ring. Not only because it is WAY too flashy for court, but it is out of style at the moment. I know you don't want to take the setting apart, and the mockup Irina did with a sapphire is very striking. I, like Oshinbreez, would do a DBTY necklace or bracelet with those stones.

It is a good point that even in a solitaire, a 2 ct stone will command attention that I probably wouldn't want in a courtroom...but at the very least I'd put it in pretty solitaire over that blingtastic setting!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I really like! I actually think it looks better in that setting than my diamond does. Obviously it wouldn''t be a ring to wear every day (but then, I don''t wear any of mine everyday!). Thanks so much!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
What about a Tsavorite garnet as another option? Can I request something like this be photoshopped for comparison?

GTS-00061-l.jpg

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
I think I should take some profile pix of the ring....hang on....

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d reset the stone into a simple platinum tiffany style setting. The setting is a bit outdated. I definitely wouldn''t wear a stone that sized to court. You could either sell the old setting at pearlmans, put a colored stone in it like irina has photoshoped, or take it apart and re-use the diamonds and sell the metal for scrap.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Irina that a colored stone would be very nice in the setting, and I''d use the other diamond for another ring more in line with your current taste. And I agree with everyone on the conservative jewelry in court, although I think an eternity ring without an e-ring would also be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results