shape
carat
color
clarity

Scenes from JCK 2007

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 5:18:55 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Here''s a photo many Pricescopers will love: Richard Homer’s collection of concave faceted gemstones. It was a big hit at the party.A stunning and peerless assortment.

can you get a closeup of that triangle purple one in the right box lower left corner? Looks like one of those knife disk things that ninjas throw (or someone throws LOL)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

On behalf of all of us, gracious thanks are due Peter and Deborah for opening their house to a bunch of cut nuts for the whole day, and to the entire AGSL team for being on hand to share their research & developments.

thanksimage.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the report, John!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 5:30:38 PM
Author: Harriet
Thanks for the report, John!
Ditto that. Thanks for taking the time out of your activities to keep many of us in the loop!

36.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks...,

Now that''s the true meaning: Business (+) Pleasure...

Looking good guy''s

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
You're all very welcome. I thank my colleagues, who are all kind enough to take part in the shutterbuggery. Not everyone brings a computer to the show so it will be nice when the others can add their input; we have attended slightly different events. Gary Dutton, Rhino and a few other familiar faces are here as well, so I'm sure there is much more to come.

Today the show floor opens, so you can anticipate more pics of bling - unless photos aren't permitted (some areas of the show started enforcing this policy last year).

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
You are so good to us
31.gif
We'll be waiting for the rest of the show...er...pics!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic report!!! I love to see the pictures and hear the stories. Makes us feel like we''re there!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
John, thanks for the pictures and info. It's great to see it all again.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 5:18:55 PM

Here''s a photo many Pricescopers will love: Richard Homer’s collection of concave faceted gemstones. It was a big hit at the party.A stunning and peerless assortment.

Did Wink borrow some for WinkTV???????

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I enjoyed reading all of that, the scintillation research and seeing you all at your bbq.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2007 9:55:47 PM
Author: Pricescope
Thanks a lot, John
1.gif

Summary of Garry''s presentation at JCK: Understand the Internet, Holloway Says
"“You need to know more about diamonds than the best-educated consumer to keep the children of your best clients as customers,” he said. “I have learned more on the Internet, and asking people questions on the forums, than I have in all of my gemology courses.”"
Well said Garry.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2007 4:48:21 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 6/1/2007 4:41:58 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 6/1/2007 4:39:24 PM
Ellen, Lorelei & RisingSun - Debi''s hand is petite so it''s actually not as big as you might think from the photos. It''s a mere 3.2 carats. You may be surprised to know it''s an I color. It''s a wonderful example of an I that faces up extremely well.
John,
Is it an ACA?
harriet, are you a woman? LOL if she is encouraging others to buy nothing but the best,w hy wouldn''t she?
Through the miracle of the internet I am logging in as Wink on John''s computer. Normally I enjoy the respite from logging in and responding to anything while on my journey to Vegas as this is my time for hero time and friends. (Hero time is the time devoted to talking with and listening to your heros, and many of my personal heroes are here so my days and evenings are incredibly richly full.) Hoewever I am compelled to answer this post as it highlights one of the issues that I have with the understanding of diamond quality.

Cehra, the issue that you are addressing is rarity and has NOTHING at all to do with quality. A D-IF is a rare stone, but of itself it is not a high quality stone. How it has been crafted to return the light that enters it to the eye in the most pleasing combinations of shape, angles, optical and physical symmetry etc., these are issues of quality. Some of these issues will be dictated by the original shape of the stone and others by the tastes and skills of the cutter.

It is sadly possible, and I have seen more than one, to have a D-IF stone that is unattractive due to the poor quality of the cutting. It is also possible, and I have seen thousands of these gems, to have gems of lower color and clarity that are of the highest quality of cutting that are much more beautiful than any low quality D-IF.

So for me, quality is the issue of how well man the cutter has worked with the gem of which he has been presented. Rarity is the work that nature has done before man was part of the picture.

Wink

P.S. I use the term man as the species and such species doth include woman as capable and gifted in their ability to impart quality to the gems with which they work.

P.S.S. Don''t forget that John and I will be presenting live at 6PM EST this evening with further information from the show.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would like to thank Peter and Debrah too for their hospitality and the congenial opportunity to exchange ideas and challenge theories in a friendly yet engaging way.

Thanks to John the cronicler (sp?) for the great job he does on recording history as it happens.

As they say in the play / movie ''history boys'' "History is just one damm thing after another". But we have been having fun, although I think I walked at least 30 miles today.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to pop in and thank John Pollard for posting another annual pic fest...I rather enjoyed seeing all of you again, lol!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2007 5:13:09 PM

I am so sorry to report that a certain terrible rumor is true…Paul Slegers LIKES Fish Eye!

No Paul!Don’t do it!
As for this rumour, what you did not realise, is the following: a 10,000 Carat Fisheye for under 50 bucks is a great deal.

No wonder that Lieve and Deborah were so eager to study a possible re-cut.

Live long,

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
JCK has thousands of exhibitors; many are suppliers from near and far featuring incredible gems and jewelry.In the interest of protecting designs and proprietary information some areas of the show have started to limit or prohibit photography this year.

Here are some photos of gems and pieces the exhibitors permitted me to share.

Pala International had a fascinating display of many colored stones.Here is a collection of outstanding spessartite garnets.

IMG_4184_Spessartite1.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

This beautiful necklace consists of 36 pieces, 77.74 carats, and would retail for around $80,000 USD.Doesn’t this look like it’s begging to be set?

IMG_4187_SpessNecklace2.jpg

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
i love those colors!!!! i''ll take one of those necklaces once its set
emwink.gif
...oh yeah--i also need a LONG term payment plan...hahaha...looks like you had a lot of fun....any more bling pics? i can''t believe that ring was "only" 3.2 cts.....finger lipo is necessary one day
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/1/2007 4:39:24 PM
Ellen, Lorelei & RisingSun - Debi''s hand is petite so it''s actually not as big as you might think from the photos. It''s a mere 3.2 carats. You may be surprised to know it''s an I color. It''s a wonderful example of an I that faces up extremely well.
I DEFINITELY need finger lipo
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
Wow...and an I colour! Stunning!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2007 9:53:24 AM

A line of riveting demantoid garnets.

droooooool! The garnet stones for the necklace are amazing as well!! If only I had an extra 80k sitting around.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results