shape
carat
color
clarity

Been To Kauai? Give me the deets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
After much discussion and trying to figure out where we are going to go for our honeymoon, it looks like we are going to Hawaii.

We are leaning towards Kauai. We want to relax, lay in the sun, swim, lay in the sun, eat great food and explore the island.

I''ve been to Maui several times and I love it, but it is definitely more touristy than what we are looking for. Didn''t really care for Oahu at all - Waikiki is basically just Miami on an island and I wasn''t a big fan of the north shore area either. I love the big island, but my FI isn''t all that wild about it...

Thus, looks like Kauai.

At this point, we are considering staying at the grand hyatt on Kauai. Anyone stayed there? What were your thoughts?

I''m definitely interested in staying at relatively luxurious resort. And I''m a total pool fiend. But I''m open to other suggestions, if anyone has any.

We are going to rent a car, so we''ll be able to see other parts of the island.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyssie, we got married there and absolutely love the island. we haven't been to the other islands which is kind of funny because we havde been to kauai twice. but based on what countless others have told us about the other islands, we don't really feel we are missing a ton. kauai is slow paced, beautiful, and more 'au natural' which is what we are into when we go visit. it's supposed to be the most romantic island. it's also the most mellow and laid back and unspoiled.

we didn't stay in a hotel so i can't comment other than to say that on vacations typically i am a total resort whore where i want to stay somewhere super nice, lay out at the pool/beach, be near attractions, whatever. but on kauai we actually reveled in being away from all of that stuff, we stayed in waimea at the plantation cottages, where we got married. it's much quieter over there and if you go into the little town, people don't assume you are tourists which we found kind of nice. the cottages range from really rustic to really remodeled so you can kind of take your pick, but some of them are literally steps to the water..which we liked. i don't want to go to hawaii and stare out at the ocean from my 10th floor hotel balcony. i want to be able to walk out 10 steps and touch the water.

anyway in terms of what to do, there can be a ton! mostly it's relaxation. the island is so small you can drive around it to the other side in about an hour. i think the grand hyatt is in poipu? if so that's kind of a 'central' location which is good, so you are kind of in the middle of the island (but still a little off towards the west). check out koloa which is a small town that leads into poipu. there is a ton of places to eat in and around princeville and koloa. you can drive into waimea for a visit, check out the cottages, take the highway road til it ends (past waimea further west) and then there are like private beaches all along there that are pretty. in waimea, stop at the cottages and eat at the waimea brewing company. greg LOVES their beers....and they have very tasty food as well for a lunch or something. we dream about their ahi poke. it's a huge plate.

on the other side of the island or while you are driving around,you'll go through lots of small towns along the water towards the north end (the name of the town over there is eluding me right now). anyway kind of partway over, i would recommend eating some tasty burgers at Bubbas, and then continuing onto princeville (where the biggest most expensive resort is) and then hanalei at the very north end. the west end where waimea is is the driest with hardly any rain and hanalei is the wettest and most humid of the island.

you can do boat rides around the island, you can take a boat ride off the little island whose name i can't remember and do snorkeling as well. we also did the typical luau one night just because you have to!! we did the one at the super old historic house, i can't remember the name but you drive by it all the time since it's in the middle of the island and on the way from the airport to poipu and waimea. that was pretty fun. oh and if you are game, try ATV riding. we did it both times and we LOVED it. greg is always daydreaming about it...you can do like 2 hour or 4 hour rides and the scenery is just beautiful. there are a bunch of companies that do it...i can't remember the one we used but they were good.

in terms of food and all that, i honestly didn't find the food on kauai to be super spectacular, but then again we are so food picky because of where we live...so most of the food was similar to what we'd have at restaurants here in the SF area...so it was good definitely but no one place stood out as absolutely fabulous have to write home about kinda thing. if you do not have a Roys where you are, i suggest trying the Kauai one because it is pretty tasty, but we have one here in SF and i think it was better hehe. they have an amazing chocolate souffle though!! and seafood is very fresh typically. but the burgers at Bubbas were YUMMY!

lastly, get a convertible car if you want to be a tourist!! it was so funny, we were like oh we have to have a convertible then didn't realize EVERYONE had one. but it turned into the biggest funny joke. every time we saw a sebring convertible we'd wave, they'd wave back, it was so funny. the second time we got a jeep which was just as fun actually...but the jeeps are not as well kept up as the cars, and i think people must take them 4 wheeling or out into the dirt because they said they clean then but they seemed to all be a little dirty. not like 'i can't sit in here' dirty but just not as clean as a car can get. i think next time we go we'll do a jeep again, it was pretty fun. so i'd say jeep or convertible sebring...hahaha. the weather out there is amazing for convertibles at almost anytime, i don't think we put our top up at all. but bugs will jump into the car so just be prepared, lol.

have fun planning!! we are talking about hawaii with my parents sometime in december...we would probably do 3 days on another island then 3 days on kauai because we really miss it. we are dying to return. overall the pace on kauai is very slow, i am sure even doubly slow compared to maui and oahu, there's not a ton of nightlife there and after 10:30pm or whatever there is not that many people on the roads, places don't stay open late etc. it's more of a 'relaxing' island. so if you aren't sure you are up for it for the entire honeymoon, split it up between two islands and do a few fun party days then a few relaxing days. greg just told me that they are introducing a ferry/boat ride between islands, but not sure when it will be done, but it will only be something like $50 and then you can take it to the diff islands, which is sweet because right now you have to take a plane which isn't a huge deal but just more of a hassle to me.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How exciting for you! We''ve been to Hawaii several times and Kauai is our favorite island. We''ve stayed at the Hyatt on two different trips and absolutely loved it. It is nicely located in Poipu and both times we have had monk seals sunning themselves on the beach! They have a terrific spa and some nice restaurants. We especially enjoyed eating breakfast there in the open air restaurant overlooking pools with black swans swimming and ocean views. The hotel swimming pool is like a lagoon and is simply wonderful. Our favorite spots to eat in Kaui are The Beach House restaurant with magnificent views as the sun goes down and Tomcat Grill for a casual lunch. You will have a fantastic trip!

njc

Brilliant_Rock

Kauai is great! You can do as much or as little as you want. We spent 2 weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon and stayed 6 days on Kauai. Awesome. Poipu is a great location… we stayed at the Sheraton… nothing special, but we splurged on our other hotels. We are fans of finding off the beat/non touristy places to eat and found a couple great ones. One was more of a fish market that served lunch. We went twice and both times there was a long line of locals. Another is the Fish Taco Stand (or something like that) on the upper side of the island near Princeville. Last is a pizza joint west of Poipu, fantastic.

One thing that I think made our trip great was getting the Hawaii Revealed books. There is one for each island and they are just full of things to do and how to do them. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kauai-Guidebook-Revealed/dp/0971727953/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-7601497-9627301?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179506935&sr=8-2 Everything we did from the book was awesome and my best memories. Hiking Waimea Canyon, the Queens Bath, most of the places we ate.

You are going to have a blast!

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
We''ve been to all of the islands and Kaui is my favorite - much more relaxed and what you picture Hawaii to be like. We stayed at the Hyatt in Poipu and loved it. The staff was great and if you mention you are staying there for your honeymoon or special occasion they will give you a bottle of champaigne and chocolate covered strawberries when you first get to your room (hope they still do this). Another place to check out is on the north side of the island, The Princeville, in princeville. Where that hotel is located is more tropical though and they do get rainshowers whereas Poipu is known for being sunny all the time. Either way you can''t go wrong. Also, north west past the princeville if you follow the main road to the end where the napali coast hiking trail begins there is an amazing beach there. The water is so clear and shallow there you can walk out probably 200 feet and it still is only up to your waist. Also, there is a river you can kayak down and the helicopter tours on the napali coast and into the middle of the island to see the waterfalls are phenomenal.

Have fun, you''ll love it.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome advice guys. I''m so psyched I can hardly deal!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I think we''ll stay at the Hyatt. I''ve done some looking around and that seems too be the best place for us...

If you think of any other places we''ve got to try, let me know!!!!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
We honeymooned there too! LOVED it. Can''t wait to go back.

Do try the shave ice -- it''s heavenly. As is Pierce Brosnan, who lives there. And yes, we saw him. Made the honeymoon. Well, that and the whole just married thing.
31.gif

kathyinjapan

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t been yet but we''re getting married there this July and I''m very excited
9.gif

We''re staying with family up in a rental on the north shore but will be spending our wedding night at the Hyatt following our reception at The Beach House restaurant

We don''t really have much planned for our trip apart from just relaxing and spending time with family (it''ll be just us and our immediate family only)

I''m really looking forward to it
21.gif

Good luck with your trip plans!

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
We got married there in March! Neither of us had been to Kauai before so it was a real treat. We had been to Oahu (Waikkiki) before, but I liked Kauai better. It is a much slower paced island.

There are a ton of things to do and see - I highy recommend seeing the Napali Coast. Totally gorgeous! We did a boat tour and also and island tour by air. Both were great excursions.

Have fun planning!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Well, we are all booked and confirmed!

I am so jazzed I can hardly deal!

We did rent a convertible - Thanks for the advice Mara!!!

And we are staying at the Grand Hyatt. Hoooo boy, I am so excited.

I am sure I''m going to LOVE kauai.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Kauai is one of my favorite places in the world.

We have stayed at the Hyatt and at Princeville. I love both.
But I love the beach at the Hyatt with the monk seals.

It is such a laid back place and the scenery is to die for.
I just told DH we need to make a quick jaunt over to chill for a while,
I think he''s on board with that thought!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay lyssie, how fun and exciting! we SOOO want to go back...we are talking about maybe December but we are really hoping to get out there this year.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited I could just about die! I have no idea how I''m going to make it through the next several months. I want to go TODAY!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 9:17:53 PM
Author: littlelysser
I am so excited I could just about die! I have no idea how I''m going to make it through the next several months. I want to go TODAY!!!

Oooooooo, I am excited for you too! It is mine and hubby''s fav Hawaiian Island!!! We go in a few days again. yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results