shape
carat
color
clarity

question about my canary diamond''s size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I''m new to this forum. I have a question about my diamond which I bought before finding this site. I got my canary diamond right hand ring from Van Scoy a couple of years ago. It came with a paper that has some info, but not a formal report. It''s called fancy yellow, SI1, cushion cut, .75 carat. However, I measured my diamond with a ruler and the measurements are 5.3x5.5 which seem like it''s closer to a .9 or even a 1 carat. Is it possible that my diamond is larger than the paperwork states? I never had it appraised as I really didn''t know much about diamonds when I bought it except that I wanted a canary. It is a very nice diamond, so clear and sparkly (I haven''t been able to get a good picture yet, just got my first digital camera a couple of days ago). I can''t see any inclusions at all. I did look at it through a magnifying glass and I don''t see any black specks, just something that looks like a white haze maybe.

rxtechcanary.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it''s probably not larger carat wise. They''re pretty careful about that.

It just means that your diamond might be cut a bit shallower than others. But a round in a 1 carat ideal cut is about 6.5x6.5, so it''s not facing up nearly as big as that. My cushion is a .81 and is 5.94x5.16, so I think it''s pretty normal for a cushion.

If you''re using the amazon size chart it is often pretty off for fancy shapes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
depth plays a big role as well in the carat weight of the stone... it is possible your stone is fairly shallow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Measurements with a ruler isn't really accurate; calipers are best. That said, the measurements seem spot on. I have a 0.7 ct Jubilee and it measures about 5.36 x 5.37 x 3.47 mm so I doubt there are any mistakes. The total depth of my stone is 64.7%

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your responses. I didn''t think they''d be wrong, I guess I was just hopeful
1.gif
Now that I found this site I''m more interested in knowing all about my diamonds than I was before. Maybe some day when I''m through with nursing school, I''ll take it and get it appraised. Can they appraise it without taking the ring apart? I wouldn''t want to take it all apart for that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's difficult to get an accurate appraisal with the stone still mounted. They can only guesstimate. Is it for insurance purposes, for fun or you just want more information? I say just wear it and enjoy!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results