shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I have yet another question for all of you experienced PSers out there! I am ordering this ring (#917 bangle) from Van Craeynest in a couple of days and was discussing sizing with the jeweler today. I have a 3.75 engagement ring, which fits comfortably, although a bit snugly in the summer months, and I am definitely going to get this ring made bigger than that to allow for more comfort, room, etc. I had my finger sized at a jeweler the other day and just cannot tell exactly how much bigger I get it. The jeweler at Van Craeynest suggested going to 4 1/8, to give me a little more room, but not fall off. But I'm not sure if a little bigger (4 1/4 or even 4 1/2) would be the way to go. How did you decide what size was good for you? I have a fear of rings getting stuck on my finger, which has actually happened before, and I like to know I have wiggle room. The jeweler at Van Craeynest (sorry, I don't know how he feels about his name being thrown about on a public forum, so I'm not using it, lol)also assured me that if it ever needed to be sized up they could do this, and re-carve the design on the band... so there is some amount of comfort there. Sorry for rambling, I just really want to get this wedding band right! Thanks in advance!

*M*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though they say they can resize it, it sounds like a big deal, so I''d definitely get it larger than the e-ring. It''s hard to say how much bigger, though. Maybe 4 1/8 would be a good size.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker! I am really conflicted about how much bigger to get it, and it''s hard to tell without being able to wear the ring for a bit, you know? I''m not finalizing anything till later this week, so I''m sure the jeweler will make it bigger if I ask... I just don''t know, so I''m rambling, haha.

*M*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it is almost impossible to know for sure when you don''t have the actual ring to try on.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is a 5.75. My w-band is a 6.25- it''s an antique eternity band and I couldn''t have it sized- if I could have the band be a little smaller I would because it seems to jiggle around a lot. I actually bought a 5.75 skinny antique plat. band off e-bay to wear in between.
It''s definitely a matter of personal preference- could you try on a band of the same width w/ your e-ring in both sizes?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks dtnyc! I really wouldn''t mind it joggling about a bit. I''d really rather have that, then it being too tight. I did consider going to a department store and buying a ring that was about 4.25 or so and see how it fits, but I can''t find any in my size... so I''m not sure what to do.

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
*bump*

So it turns out I''m not ordering the ring for a couple more weeks, so any more advice would be appreciated. After talking with the jeweler again, he suggested a 4 and 1/4 tight, whatever that means. I am not sure how much tighter that would be than a regular 4 and 1/4. Maybe I should just go with the 4 and 1/8 like he suggested, just to be safe. I am probably overthinking this, right? I have a tendency to do that. For some reason I am very sensitive to the tightness of my rings, and after having a problem with my first wedding ring, I don''t want to make that mistake again! Thanks for reading if you got this far. Any suggestions would be appreciated (again).

*M*

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
Having checked out the pic, it is my opinion that shrinking or compressing this ring within a half size either way would not be a problem. I would suggest sizing it to the same size as the engagement ring. If you really feel that that is too tight, size it up by 1/4. If your jeweler is having some difficulty agreeing to size your ring, find another jeweler. You are paying too much to get anything but good service.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 11:17:40 PM
Author: Manmountain
Having checked out the pic, it is my opinion that shrinking or compressing this ring within a half size either way would not be a problem. I would suggest sizing it to the same size as the engagement ring. If you really feel that that is too tight, size it up by 1/4. If your jeweler is having some difficulty agreeing to size your ring, find another jeweler. You are paying too much to get anything but good service.
Thanks! They have been really great to work with. I haven''t ordered the ring yet, so it hasn''t been made, but right now they have the size I want recorded as a 4.25 "tight". He said he was more than willing to go down or up in size as I requested, so I told him I would have a final decision on the size when I called to order the ring. He even asked me about the way my fingers were shaped since we are on opposite coasts and he wanted to make sure to get it right. My problem is just that my knuckle is rather small, but the base of my finger is actually the thickest part. I''m just weird I guess, haha. I think my e-ring really does need to be sized up to at least in between a 3.75 and a 4...

*M*

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing to consider too, is that size may differ slightly by vender. And it also may feel tighter if it is a thicker band than your e-ring. Your e-ring can act like a guard for it too if it''s a little loose in the winter. I just had my new set sized down to a 3.75. The two rings weren''t soldered, previously I had soldered rings of just 0.5mm wider and they fit snug at a 4. That being said on my RH my ring finger is a size 4.25, I can get a 4 on (a little wiggling to get off) and a 4.5 is a little loose. So I think 1/4 of a size makes a difference. I would be a bit worried that 1/2 size may be too much. I have no idea what "tight" means though.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I realize that the sizes differ slightly by vendor, which is also another thing to think about (eep!). The wedding ring will be 2.5 mm wide, just like my e-ring. I didn''t ask how thick the band would be, but the pictures look like it has a substantial amount of metal, probably a little thicker than my e-ring. That would make the band slightly tighter, right? I think the 4.25 "tight" means that the ring will be in between 4.125 and 4.25.

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results