shape
carat
color
clarity

Sizing question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this in the jewelry forum, but figured it wouldn''t hurt to try and get a few more responses before I actually purchase this ring in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help!

I have yet another question for all of you experienced PSers out there! I am ordering this ring (#917 bangle) from Van Craeynest in a couple of weeks and have previously discussed the sizing with the jeweler. I have a 3.75 engagement ring, which fits comfortably, although a bit snugly in the summer months, and I am definitely going to get this ring made bigger than that to allow for more comfort, room, etc. I had my finger sized at a jeweler the other day and just cannot tell exactly how much bigger I get it. The jeweler at Van Craeynest suggested going to 4 1/8, to give me a little more room, but not fall off. But I''m not sure if a little bigger, like a 4 1/4 would be the way to go. He said that he could make the ring 4 1/4 tight, but I don''t know how much tighter "tight" is. I am also not sure how much difference there is in a 3.75 and 4 is, and honestly, trying a 4 on at the jeweler for a few seconds doesn''t help much.

So, how did you decide what size was good for you? I have a fear of rings getting stuck on my finger, which has actually happened before, and I like to know I have wiggle room. The jeweler at Van Craeynest also assured me that if it ever needed to be sized up they could do this, and re-carve the design on the band... so there is some amount of comfort there. Sorry for rambling, I just really want to get this wedding band right! Thanks in advance!

*M*

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wedding band will presumably have the e-ring above it to keep it on, so I''d probably choose 4 1/4. It sounds like you need a 4 for the e-ring, so a quarter size up is a very, very small amount larger for the w-band.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your help diamondseeker! My e-ring probably does need to be sized up a bit. I just wish my hands didn''t swell and thin out as MUCH as they do. In the winter the e-ring is fairly loose (but it is no where near coming off by itself), and in the summer it''s just uncomfortable to me with the tightness. I don''t know how much up a 1/4 size is, either, which makes it harder for me to decide. Thanks for your suggestions.

*M*

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/28/2007 8:26:55 PM
Author:poptart
I posted this in the jewelry forum, but figured it wouldn''t hurt to try and get a few more responses before I actually purchase this ring in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help!

I have yet another question for all of you experienced PSers out there! I am ordering this ring (#917 bangle) from Van Craeynest in a couple of weeks and have previously discussed the sizing with the jeweler. I have a 3.75 engagement ring, which fits comfortably, although a bit snugly in the summer months, and I am definitely going to get this ring made bigger than that to allow for more comfort, room, etc. I had my finger sized at a jeweler the other day and just cannot tell exactly how much bigger I get it. The jeweler at Van Craeynest suggested going to 4 1/8, to give me a little more room, but not fall off. But I''m not sure if a little bigger, like a 4 1/4 would be the way to go. He said that he could make the ring 4 1/4 tight, but I don''t know how much tighter ''tight'' is. I am also not sure how much difference there is in a 3.75 and 4 is, and honestly, trying a 4 on at the jeweler for a few seconds doesn''t help much.

So, how did you decide what size was good for you? I have a fear of rings getting stuck on my finger, which has actually happened before, and I like to know I have wiggle room. The jeweler at Van Craeynest also assured me that if it ever needed to be sized up they could do this, and re-carve the design on the band... so there is some amount of comfort there. Sorry for rambling, I just really want to get this wedding band right! Thanks in advance!

*M*
I''m the same way with the whole getting stuck thing. When I was sized at the jewelers for my wedding band and e-ring, they suggested a 4 (and then my rings couldn''t be sized anyway and when they were custom made, they screwed up the design and I was ticked off...d$#% zales, I wish my husband and I knew about PS
39.gif
...so now I have uncomfy ring guards...yuck!!) but I honestly felt that was way too tight since they had to use a lot of force to get the sizing rings off. I have plain gold bands that I wear for a wedding ring and those are a size 5 and fit very comfortably without falling off, even with vigorous shaking. I say try on different bands in the store, that''s really the best way, and shake your hand HARD and see if the sizes taht are comfortable for you are too loose. Goodluck, and I can''t wait to see the ring!!

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
a couple rings together will fit more snugly than seperately. If the jeweler has wider sizers they might be a good way to double check the size.

the differnce between 3.75 and a 4 is about 3mm in circumfrence.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2007 10:10:50 PM
Author: KindredSpirit717
Date: 4/28/2007 8:26:55 PM

Author:poptart

I have yet another question for all of you experienced PSers out there! I am ordering this ring (#917 bangle) from Van Craeynest in a couple of weeks and have previously discussed the sizing with the jeweler. I have a 3.75 engagement ring, which fits comfortably, although a bit snugly in the summer months, and I am definitely going to get this ring made bigger than that to allow for more comfort, room, etc. I had my finger sized at a jeweler the other day and just cannot tell exactly how much bigger I get it. The jeweler at Van Craeynest suggested going to 4 1/8, to give me a little more room, but not fall off. But I''m not sure if a little bigger, like a 4 1/4 would be the way to go. He said that he could make the ring 4 1/4 tight, but I don''t know how much tighter ''tight'' is. I am also not sure how much difference there is in a 3.75 and 4 is, and honestly, trying a 4 on at the jeweler for a few seconds doesn''t help much.

*M*

I''m the same way with the whole getting stuck thing. When I was sized at the jewelers for my wedding band and e-ring, they suggested a 4 (and then my rings couldn''t be sized anyway and when they were custom made, they screwed up the design and I was ticked off...d$#% zales, I wish my husband and I knew about PS
39.gif
...so now I have uncomfy ring guards...yuck!!) but I honestly felt that was way too tight since they had to use a lot of force to get the sizing rings off. I have plain gold bands that I wear for a wedding ring and those are a size 5 and fit very comfortably without falling off, even with vigorous shaking. I say try on different bands in the store, that''s really the best way, and shake your hand HARD and see if the sizes taht are comfortable for you are too loose. Goodluck, and I can''t wait to see the ring!!
Thanks kindredspirit! Isn''t it absolutely terrifying to get a ring stuck on your finger?
32.gif
Do jewelry stores carry rings below a 6 or 7 that I could try on, other than sizing rings? Maybe I''m just going to the wrong jewelry stores to ask for help, haha!

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2007 10:18:16 PM
Author: bujiatang
a couple rings together will fit more snugly than seperately. If the jeweler has wider sizers they might be a good way to double check the size.

the differnce between 3.75 and a 4 is about 3mm in circumfrence.

Thanks, I didn''t know that! I know that the width of the ring will be 2.5 mm, so that kind of helps with the tightness issue, but I did forget that two rings together fit more tightly (duh!). I just hate that the sizers are attached to that stupid sizer rings because I like to try on rings the same way I try on shoes... put it on and take it for a little spin around the store!

*M*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a small finger size too (3.5) and unfortuately most jeweler store don''t have anything in the smaller sizes. My wedding set is a 4 and too loose, I can shake it off my hand when I''m in air conditioning or if it''s cold out but I too am afraid to go down in size b/c I hate when my rings feel tight. anyway, if the 3.75 is snug you could probably go up to a 4 on your e-ring and I agree with DS that a 4 1/4 would probalby be a good idea for your wedding band. it will fit comfy in the summer and with your e-ring to keep it on it will stay in place when your fingers are colder.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2007 10:28:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''m a small finger size too (3.5) and unfortuately most jeweler store don''t have anything in the smaller sizes. My wedding set is a 4 and too loose, I can shake it off my hand when I''m in air conditioning or if it''s cold out but I too am afraid to go down in size b/c I hate when my rings feel tight. anyway, if the 3.75 is snug you could probably go up to a 4 on your e-ring and I agree with DS that a 4 1/4 would probalby be a good idea for your wedding band. it will fit comfy in the summer and with your e-ring to keep it on it will stay in place when your fingers are colder.

Thanks! Hopefully a 4 1/4 tight won''t be too tight. I guess it''s in between a 4 1/8 and 4 1/4, but I can''t imagine the size difference would be too drastic.

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results