shape
carat
color
clarity

sizing ball just popped off - Grrr

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I have sizing balls (2) on the inside of my Signed Pieces
Eternity bands.
This morning one of the little balls just popped off.
I took the ring off and was kinda fidgeting with it.
Not sure what I was doing because I was listening to someone.
I don''t want to send this back to SP - just a little of a year old.
I wander how much it costs to get one put in?
Actually I think the little ball was platinum - of course
I could be way off on that.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m sorry ann, what a bummer. i''d probably just go local too, it''d cost more to pay the shipping probably. i think i read the other day that jasmine said sizing balls or the butterfly spring were around the same price which is $100 or so. but i really have no idea. let us know if you find out though..

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I''d go through the hassle of shipping, insurance on the package, wait time, etc for sending it back...I''d likely go to a local place that you trust. It doesn''t seem like a technically challenging thing to fix at all.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just go local as well, avoid the hassle. I had platinum sizing balls placed in one of my rings and it was not expensive at all. I know that I paid well below $100, but I do know the owner so he may have been cutting me a deal
emthup.gif
. Regardless, I am sure that it does not cost too much.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I probably will just use a local bench.
But are the little suckers that fragile?

I wear this ring every day - kinda surprised
this happened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 12:44:14 AM
Author: Ann
I probably will just use a local bench.
But are the little suckers that fragile?

I wear this ring every day - kinda surprised
this happened.
Hard to say, wouldn''t think so... But they can tell you their opinion when you take it to be fixed. I also agree in having it done by a local bench person.
2.gif

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
I have had sizing balls in my ering for 9 1/2 yrs with no problems. They have smoothed down a bit over the years with wear, but i think my fingers have gotten a little bigger. If you have lost one within a year, I think it was not on there too well to begin with.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
When soldering a jewelry item, jewelers want to use as little solder as possible.

Solder is brittle and doesn''t flex, like the ring metal. So sometimes, with just a little pressure the solder "breaks".

It could be that not enough solder was used, and that the ball came off. This sometimes happens with other solder joints for resizing etc.

When you go to a local jeweler, discuss the type of solder he intends to use, and how he intends to insulate any diamonds from being "overheated". There are a lot of different solders which have various melting temps. If the jeweler tends to make light of this, find one who will inform you thoroughly.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results