shape
carat
color
clarity

double prongs/claw prongs vs. 6 prongs- questions !!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

weagle

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone !
I am usually just a lurker but have recently started my "active" search for my E-ring. After much deliberation, I have decided on an oval. I know they can be tricky to find but nothing catches my eye like they do. The problem now is the setting. I want to put all the money in the middle- no side stones for me (maybe with the upgrade at a later time) My preference is 4 prongs (because I hate the way that 6 prongs make an oval look like a marquise)but I have read several threads on here and now I am very confused. Of course I am concerned about the safety of the stone (size will be around 1.5-1.7ct). Calling all experts !! If i go with double prong, or claw prong setting, will that be more safe than a traditional 4 prong setting? Would this take away from the stone and look too prong(y)? for this size stone? What are your thoughts on the security of the stone with a 4 prong setting vs. double prong setting? Thanks so much PSers !!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve dropped rings a couple times, so I hate the idea of exposed girdles.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen any double prongs in person...but I saw a few pictures of settings like that on this forum, and I really liked the look...I''m curious too whether there''s a difference in safety...I know this doesn''t answer your question, but I just wanted to make that comment.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon set Kaleigh''s beautiful oval in a four prong so if that is what you like that is how you should get it set. Double prongs are usually *very* thin by themselves so I am not sure how much extra protection they really are.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
With a largish oval, I prefer claw prongs. I don''t know if they are safer, I just prefer the look.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My all time favorite oval solitaire look is the oval from Harry Winston http://www.harrywinston.com/ I''m not sure about safety issuses, but, i looooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeee it. I''d just get it and walk around with my hand on a pillow all day. I adore ovals with double claw prongs.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a .94ct oval in double prongs. After 6 months of wearing it, I managed to crack the girdle on one of the long sides. I don''t know if this was a prong issue, or if my stone was pre-disposed to cracking. I think I hit it on the filing cabinet at work. I do love the look of the double prongs though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results