shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding the right local jeweler to resize a ring, in the DC Metro area.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Well as luck would have it I measured my fiances hand in the mall when we were walking around on a hot afternoon and she happened to be a size 7 that day. Now that I''ve proposed she is most definitely not a size 7, but a 6.5 or so. The ring is somewhat loose and I''d like to get it re-sized. I talked to Gary ant ERD and he said that it was fine to go with something local to do so. I prefer not to, but I don''t want to mail off the ring. You never know what can happen and I know she''d be heartbroken if it was lost. According to Gary it will be fine in the hands of another as long as they do their own bench work and are familiar with working with platinum.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a experienced benchman who works in platinum in the DC metro area?

dmus

Shiny_Rock
With out a doubt go to Quest. They come highly recommended here and it just so happens I''m getting my platinum ring from them today. Ask for Pete. 8430 Lee Highway, Fairfax 703-204-0111. Good luck.

MP

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 9:00:00 AM
Author: dmus
With out a doubt go to Quest. They come highly recommended here and it just so happens I''m getting my platinum ring from them today. Ask for Pete. 8430 Lee Highway, Fairfax 703-204-0111. Good luck.
Thanks, are you getting your ring resized or are you actually purchasing from them? Do you happen to know if they send their platinum work out to a third party or do they handle it themselves?

dmus

Shiny_Rock
They came recommended by dozens of folks here on PS. The regulars like MrsSalvo, etc. They do a lot of online work. I believe they do it in house. My ring was a custom job not resizing. When I had it done I seem to recall Pete indicating he had a benchman doing the work but got the impression he is not employed by them. But Pete claimed he was the top guy in the region. I''m from Chicago and just in town on business. They seem to be very sophisticated. I''ll be seeing their shop for the first time today. I''ll be there between 4:30 and 6:30 today looking at me ring and checking out diamonds for other jobs.

I hope other more experienced PSers step in.

vfrhokie

Rough_Rock
FWIW, their web page (under "Custom") has the following statement:

"All platinum and gold work is conducted in house."

cayce

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 10:43:31 AM
Author: vfrhokie
FWIW, their web page (under ''Custom'') has the following statement:

''All platinum and gold work is conducted in house.''
And when I was in there yesterday, they told me that they had all sorts of high tech equipment (lasers and such) and did all of it in house.

bella_91

Rough_Rock
I'm in DC, just asked my friend (who's a DC native and had her gorgeous platinum e-ring made locally) she recommended Dominion Jewelers in Falls Church. They do their work in house.

Here's their Web site:

http://www.dominionjewelers.com/index.htm

MP

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will be checking out Quest and Dominion. Both look promising and I will most likely go with whomever can do it in house for a day appointement. Don't want to take a chance that something will get lost. ERD told me that at most I should pay $50, what do you guys think is reasonable to pay for getting a ring resized down with no impact on the diamonds on the band?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, i think Quest would be a good choice. they do their own stuff inhouse and also do repair work on antique jeweler so I''d trust them. I would also suggest you might just wait a couple months to see what her hands do in the summer, unless of course it''s just falling off here. many gals rings will be loose in the winter and tight in the summer with summer swelling and i''d hate for you to size the ring, only to find out it becomes too tight in the summer and have to be sized again. you can buy some cheapo sizers at an mall store called Claire''s that might be something to try out b/f commiting to permanant sizing. that said, if''s it slipping off her finger, then definitely go ahead and get it sized.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results