shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut dilemma - Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
Here is my dilemma:
8.gif
I just can''t afford what I want! I want a 3 ct. stone. But to get the color and clarity in an emerald cut is just going to cost too much. I have long fingers and coverage is very important to me because I also have a size 7 finger. Soooo, if you really, really, really wanted a new diamond ring and had $25M to spend, what kind of stone would you get and why - Pear, Oval, Cushion or Radiant? These are the only other stones I like. Your honest input and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a hard one, but my true favorite of all those is a cushion, but I know it isn''t the one that appears the largest. I wouldn''t mind having a radiant in an octagonal halo either.
30.gif
Or an oval like Kaleigh''s set by Leon.
30.gif
Or an emerald cut like Fran Fine''s or Diamond Fan''s with side baguettes.
30.gif
Wait, or an asscher set by Leon like Widget''s.
30.gif

Hmmm, I have a long wish list!
33.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an emerald cut and I love them too. I also like the other shapes you mentioned and I would only be concerned with bow ties in the oval, but I do love them too. You might just have to be very diligent, but I agree, an emerald cut, without faceting you really need it to be clean and clear, and you might be better off with another shape...Good luck and keep us posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
A pear will look the largest for the weight. Can you get a smaller EC and upgrade in a few years?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Weeeellllll.....first of all, I''d chose a vendor that had a good trade up policy & make sure to choose a stone that is trade-in-able (since some vendors don''t allow all shapes ... GOG for example). Sounds like you''re not going to be *really* satisfied until you get that 3ct EC so you might as well leave the door open!
9.gif

As to cuts that look big ... Ovals & Pears are the biggest bangs for the buck visually out of your choices ... though a rectangular radiant might work (though those will also emphasize color).

A cushion in a halo would give you lots of finger coverage ... but that is such a different look than a 3ct Emerald. Actually all of your choices are. Why not get a 2ct emerald in a halo ... Maytal Hoffman does a gorgeous one for EC''s! Her own e-ring is a 2ct ish EC in a split shank halo. YUM!
18.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... what about this? From Singlestone (vintage jewelry dealer) ... 2.37 E color Vs2.
30.gif

Don''t know the exact price ... but from previous quotes from them I''d guess it''s in the ballpark pricewise.

singlestone237evs.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco that is a beautiful setting!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...nice find, Deco!
30.gif

Lulu: Have you actually seen a warmer colored EC? They might be much lovelier than you think. Fran Fine waxed so eloquent about her J-colored EC in this thread that I started thinking I might need to trade in mine for one with more color! LOL

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/no-she-did-not-use-that-on-her-ring.52834/page-3

If I were you, I'd stick to my first wish for an EC, and lower my color requirements if need be. After that, I'd get an oval.

widget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2006 4:52:01 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hmmm... what about this? From Singlestone (vintage jewelry dealer) ... 2.37 E color Vs2.
30.gif

Don''t know the exact price ... but from previous quotes from them I''d guess it''s in the ballpark pricewise.
This site is killing me today. Stop showing me things I just reaaaallllly love!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a 2.71 GIA cert G color Vs1 EC with the dimensions 9.83x6.45x4.73 for approx $25K ...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My EC is an "I". I am not sure if you are willing to go that warm but I think it is beautiful (I am bias though)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/5/2006 5:04:00 PM
Author: widget
Wow...nice find, Deco!
30.gif

Lulu: Have you actually seen a warmer colored EC? They might be much lovelier than you think. Fran Fine waxed so eloquent about her J-colored EC in this thread that I started thinking I might need to trade in mine for one with more color! LOL

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/no-she-did-not-use-that-on-her-ring.52834/page-3

If I were you, I''d stick to my first wish for an EC, and lower my color requirements. After that, I''d get an oval.

widget
Yep, Tacori E-ring''s beautiful EC is an I color, and it is gorgeous, too! I''d take one any day!

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Pears are my first love, my 1ct. halo RHR looks so much larger than my 1.74ct RB solitaire! Oval would be my second choice for finger coverage. I also love cushions and was going to buy one, but they looked so much smaller than their carat weight. I like radiants, but prefer them in yellow. Are you interested in colored diamonds?

What color and clarity are you looking for?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2006 5:14:13 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Wow...nice find, Deco!
30.gif

If I were you, I''d stick to my first wish for an EC, and lower my color requirements. After that, I''d get an oval.

widget

Yep, Tacori E-ring''s beautiful EC is an I color, and it is gorgeous, too! I''d take one any day!

Ah, thanks J! We must have been posting at the same time.

I agree though, if you love ECs an EC is what you should get!

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Thanks everybody for such quick responses.

Yes, I have considered starting with a smaller stone and trading up as time and money allows. I know WF has a great trade up policy that would allow me to do just that...with an emerald cut or whatever else I might choose (as long as it is GIA certed). I am going to try to "keep my options open", however, to try to find a great diamond at a great price. That is a beautiful ring you found Decodelighted! Thanks for scoping that one. I''m going to swing over to that site and check it out. You are right, I probably won''t be 100% satisfied until I get what I really want.

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
Wow...nice find, Deco!
30.gif

If I were you, I''d stick to my first wish for an EC, and lower my color requirements if need be. After that, I''d get an oval.

widget
How on Earth did I miss THAT? What a gorgeous ring...and its a J, a J, a JJJJJ! AND its a LEON! I have renewed hope. Oh...my...oh...my. Thanks, Widget! Thanks to everyone!
36.gif

Lady Lulu

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for researching those stones JayRenay9. I have been looking at minimum clarity of VS2 and color ranges from G to J. Most of the posts I read about lower color step cuts say they will look too yellow, and that because of the steps they really show the inclusions. I have seen an I in a store in their lighting conditions. It looked good, but it also was a smaller stone. I have to say Fran Fine''s J is beautiful. I know in the end, it will have to be my own two eyes that make the final call. I just don''t want to make a mistake or end up feeling not so in love with my stone after I let go of all those $$$, you know.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take your time. But if you LOVE the EC stick with it.

Ovals cover alot of finger. And ones without bowties can be found.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i agree with Stone Hunter
EC''s are my passion as well, and my ring size is a 7, too.

i''ve no doubt you can find something you love in your price range!

if you look for one with a lower depth %, you''ll get a larger looking stone for your $$

my personal opinion, i wouldn''t go below an F on an EC, but i am REALLY colour sensitive and i don''t like ''warmth'' but, again, that is a strictly personal opinion.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lulu-

I second the idea of getting in touch with Maytal, and having her do a beautiful halo around one of those shapes. I have talked to her a few times and emailed her many more. She is wonderful to work with. I can get you her email if you''d like it.

As far as shapes, I like the idea of the oval or the pear for the size option it offers and it is different than everything else out there. You could get a nice 2.2 or 2.5 carat stone and spend about 5 or 6k on the setting, and have your look.

There are 3 carat stones out there for your price, but you''ll most likely be looking at a J or K, SI 2, and excellent to very good cut. I know because I am looking at all of them too, but I am looking for a round. Have you considered a round? I just sent back one to WF that didin''t work for us, but may be perfect for others, and it was just over 20k! I mean that sincerely. Bob over there would know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results