shape
carat
color
clarity

Shared Prong Problem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Hey all,

I wanted to consult the vast knowledge on the forum. I have a full-eternity shared-prong engagement ring. I''ve had it for 7 months now, and last month I took it in to the jeweler for an inspection. I had noticed the ring was warped out of shape as in, not perfectly round anymore. They agreed and said activities like heavy lifting, and other activities that put force on the ring can cause that. They reshaped the ring for me last month. Today I''m looking at it... and it''s going right back to the way it was. I have been SUPER careful with my ring since it was reshaped -- I take it off for any house work, and I''ve just been extra cautious with it.

Is this a common problem with shared prong settings since there is not a lot of metal? I have 4 pointers in a platinum setting. Has anyone experiences this, or is this a sign of poor workmanship? Otherwise I adore my ring, it was made by Quest Jewelers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
platinum is easier to bend than most white gold alloys - but over time it work hardens.

So it may be that after a few re roundings the ring will stop bending.
If there is no risk of stones falling out (which is not commonly an issue with shared clawws and a bit of bending) - I would not worry too much and see what happens over a year or 2.

Otherwise you will need the ring to be thicker and havier which does not look as nice.

If you are wearing it beside another ring though - beware - shared claws if the diamonds stick out past the side - can cut away at next door neighbours

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2006 7:29:30 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
platinum is easier to bend than most white gold alloys - but over time it work hardens.

So it may be that after a few re roundings the ring will stop bending.
If there is no risk of stones falling out (which is not commonly an issue with shared clawws and a bit of bending) - I would not worry too much and see what happens over a year or 2.

Otherwise you will need the ring to be thicker and havier which does not look as nice.

If you are wearing it beside another ring though - beware - shared claws if the diamonds stick out past the side - can cut away at next door neighbours
Okay Garry - please tell us more about "work hardening"

And to the OP: much as though most rings are *round* our fingers really aren''t... is your ring bending to the shape of your finger? Fingers are really shaped much like a loaf of bread, square on the bottoms and sides and rounder on top... I''m having my ring made in that shape... in a way (as long as the stones are safe) it would be cool if your ring was doing that on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results