shape
carat
color
clarity

How do these RBs sound

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have been hunting and hunting for stones, and these are some I am considering seeing in person. I know you guys are full of knowledge on cut, and I would surely appreciate any input you may have on these. I have researched and researched, but I am still not confident enough in my knowledge about cut. Ever since I discovered PS a few months ago, I have become a total cut convert. I look at all my friends'' rings in a different way--before I was like, "wow, it''s a diamond, it''s gorgeous," and now that I have done so much reading and looking, I silenetly wish many of their beaus had bothered to do a little research. I have gotten pretty good at seeing a diamond in person and just knowing, but I have a hard time telling from the numbers. Are these worth looking at? They sound like they will be pretty to me, but I''d feel better hearing from the experts!

.82 RB
VS2
H Color
Cut
Depth=59.5%
Table=57%
Pav angle=40
Crown angle=35
It says 1.5 on the HAC, but I don''t really have any notion as to how that affects performance.

SI1
E Color
Cut:
Depth: 60.7
Table: 56
Crown %=13
Pav %=44
the HAC says 1.6, but again, I don''t know what to make of that other than it is an "excellent" score.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. 40' PA is too shallow. Is that what it really is?

2. Needs to be checked for durability, and need more precise numbers and more information.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
i thought it would be too shallow. I will look at the certificate again--the writing is very tiny, maybe I am mistaken as to the pav. angle.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very possible for it to be 40. I only ask because I get 1.1 on the HCA for the first stone.

Also, the lab report is an important consideration.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
It is 40--so I suppose I will pass on that one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the second diamond an EGL report?

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the 2nd one is EGL, and the first is GIA.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL are said in some but certainly not all instances to be looser on grading than GIA and AGS, therefore diamonds which carry these reports are often cheaper. Also they give the crown and pavillion measurements in % which aren't as accurate as angles with the HCA. It can depend too on which EGL lab does the grading, EGL USA, Europe, Israel etc. Best thing to do would be if you have seen these diamonds and like them, get a Sarin Report on each if your vendor can do it. This will give you more accurate measurements of the GIA graded diamond and the angles for the EGL. Then see where to go from there, if you choose either then get an appraisal on the one you choose - the GIA in case of durability issues on the shallow pav as Julie advises and the EGL to make sure the grading checks out. Or you could keep looking, are these diamonds online or with a jeweller? EGL diamonds can be a great buy as I know so I wouldn't discount it, but verify.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the advice!

I had heard that EGL can be softer on grading, but I am not terribly concerned about that as far as color because a soft E is still an F or so. My concern was cut, which this cut seems okay, but I feel like I could find better. I am supposed to be looking at these stones tomorrow as well as two others that the jewler says are nice, but we shall see. I have a feeling I am going to want to look further.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 4:53:32 PM
Author: Fancy605
Thanks for the advice!

I had heard that EGL can be softer on grading, but I am not terribly concerned about that as far as color because a soft E is still an F or so. My concern was cut, which this cut seems okay, but I feel like I could find better. I am supposed to be looking at these stones tomorrow as well as two others that the jewler says are nice, but we shall see. I have a feeling I am going to want to look further.
The EGL (Israel) H that we had purchased was actually a J when taken to the appraiser and compared to the master set. Definitely look with your own eyes, and get it confirmed with an appraiser.
Also confirm the clarity with your appraiser too - EGL Israel was off two clarities (in the wrong direction) on that one too.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
good to know. I will def. check everything out when I go look. My b/f and I are def. okay with continuing to shop around if none of the stones we want to see work. And the jewler says she will keep looking until we find something that fits our price range and specifications.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 5:05:41 PM
Author: :)

Date: 9/28/2006 4:53:32 PM
Author: Fancy605
Thanks for the advice!

The EGL (Israel) H that we had purchased was actually a J when taken to the appraiser and compared to the master set. Definitely look with your own eyes, and get it confirmed with an appraiser.
Also confirm the clarity with your appraiser too - EGL Israel was off two clarities (in the wrong direction) on that one too.
I have an EGL isreal marquise that was compared to a master set and actually checked out as a D as what was stated on the partial cert I was given. But my clarity stated SI2 and the gemologist that looked at it said it was borderline SI2/I1...he was probably being nice LOL I can''t see the inclusions so it doesn''t matter to me. I''m more color sensitive than clarity but I was there for the color comparison and was happy to know that EGL did something right with my diamond.
I wouldn''t shy away from them as if you can find a stone with good numbers that you like it can represent a GREAT value. I would definitely get it checked out by an appraiser though...we got ripped off from a B&M store...WAY OVERPAID. But such is life when you are uneducated about diamonds. Good luck!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my b/f and I went to look at the stones, and both of those looked nice in person. THe EGL stone had especially nice color, but it had an inclusion that I did not like. When I first looked at it, I couldn''t see anything wrong with it, but under the loup, I could see a crystal. Then when I looked at it again without it, my eyes immediately darted to the place where the inclusion was, and sure enough, I could see it (It looked like little bubbles).

Our representative had brought in another stone that I had asked to see, and I thought it looked nice. It was very firey and eye clean (I could barely find the inclusions under magnification). How does this sound? The pavilion is off a bit I know. My main question is, would I be even more enchanted with something with a better pavilion angle?

SI1 (eye clean! The only inclusions are teeny and off to the side)
H color
Cut:
Depth=61.2
Table=57.4
Crown Angle=34.7
Pavilion=41.1

We are asking to see that stone again and compare it with 3 others when we return in a few weeks (we are having are setting made there, and it will be ready soon. Yay!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results