shape
carat
color
clarity

Ceramic flat hair iron

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 8:13:22 PM
Author: PunchNPie75
I use the T3 Tourmaline blow drier, curling iron and flat iron and LOVE them! Got them for less than half price brand new on ebay. No way I would have paid full price! I had the Tru Ceramic pro iron and liked it but paid $100 and it broke in a few months
29.gif

OHHHH OHHH!! that''s what i want!!! the T3 dryer!! do tell-- please!!!!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 6:01:38 PM
Author: MissGotRocks

Date: 3/23/2006 4:12:51 PM
Author: teebee
I love my Chi too!!! It was definitely worth it to spend the extra $$ for the quality. I also just upgraded to a $100 blow dryer, but totally worth it as well. My thick curly hair is straight & shiny in 1/2 the time it used to take w/ my Conair or whatever I was using. The serum is a good idea & I use the Aveda styling creme before blow drying, then a serum before I use the iron to finish.
Did you get the Chi hairdryer?

Teebee - I love your wedding website! The wedding site and reception site are both beautiful!
Thanks MGR!! I need to do a little updating on the website - I got most of the vital info up but need to fill in the gaps now that the invites are going out!!

Actually, the dryer I bought is a BaByliss Pro Carrera Ceramic Ionic... and damn I just found it on folica.com on sale for $68.!!! That''s a serious steal for this dryer, at least IMO since I bought it from the same place a couple of months ago @ $95...
20.gif
But really, I have super duper thick curly hair - my old dryer was just a step above sitting outside on a windy day as far as drying speed, but this BaByliss is like turbo-charged (aha, hence the name Carrera?). The only downside I''ve found is that you have to purchase a diffuser separately (it does come with a concentrator nozzle) which I have not purchased so far - on days that I wear my hair curly then I still get out my old dryer & diffuser.

I *almost* don''t need an iron with this dryer, but love having it to finish my style - especially great for ends!!

saturn

Shiny_Rock
Well, maybe I''m the only one, but I have this cheap ceramic straightener, and I love it. It''s quick and easy to use.
I don''t have curly hair, though, and I don''t straighten my hair every day, either.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
What product do you use to protect your hair when using the straightening iron?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
bumble and bumble makes a good serum.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Frieda Sheer Blonde Hi Beam glossing serum. I also use shine spray afterwards. I think the key if using straighteners is to protect protect protect! My hair is below shoulder length and coloured so I have to be careful when I straighten and this works for me. A drop of leave in conditioner can be good too.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Hai Stik that I have had since 2002, and also a new T3 wet to dry one which was over $200. The Hai is really much better. I would highly recommend it. I have heard good things about the chi one too.

Try asking at the hair boards on Makeupalley.com they are total experts there!

I love Bumble and bumble straight and also Frederic Fekkai Glossing cream.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of the good information! I see so many of you have thick, curly hair and I can definitely see where the iron would be a great thing for you. My hair is very straight and because I want to use it to smooth and curl I think I''ll wait until I go back for a haircut and ask the stylist if I can try using it myself. That way I can see if I''d really be able to use it with results as good as she gets. If I buy one, I think I''ll go ahead and buy one of the really nice ones. Anything else would seem to be a waste of money!

Thanks everyone - you guys are the best!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get great curves with irons MGR, it is all in the wrist action! Just curve your ends under, your stylist can show you too. A good pair are a worthwhile investment.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 10:09:59 PM
Author: jcrow
Date: 3/23/2006 8:13:22 PM

Author: PunchNPie75

I use the T3 Tourmaline blow drier, curling iron and flat iron and LOVE them! Got them for less than half price brand new on ebay. No way I would have paid full price! I had the Tru Ceramic pro iron and liked it but paid $100 and it broke in a few months
29.gif

OHHHH OHHH!! that''s what i want!!! the T3 dryer!! do tell-- please!!!!

I have medium length, fine textured wavy hair. The t3 is so amazing, the dryer dries it fast, shiny and adds a lot of body. I LOVE the straightener even more--it straightens in one swoop and flattens the flyaways i have. Its turns my crap hair new! LOL

i LOVE frederic fekkai products, esp the straightener. I love the way it smells. Also love the glossing spray from bumble and bumble (think it may be discontinued?).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if this has already been mentioned as I didn't read the whole thread but I have curly hair (frizzy when I was young!) that I chemically straighten about 3x a year, and then I still blow dry my hair to dry it, and then curl or flatten out again when I am styling because the chemical straightener does not get all my curl out! Depending on how long my hair is, I actually find that using a large curling iron makes my hair look better, softer and it gets less damage than with the ceramic flat hair iron. But if hair is too short to wrap around the large curl of the iron then a flat iron is the best bet I guess. I like the 'look' I get better with my big fat curling iron than the flat iron, but sometimes I switch it out.

I use the Hot Tools brands, they are so not expensive, something like $60 and I have the flat iron and the curling iron (2")...my stylist uses some real expensive $175 flat iron on me which works fine but I don't like that it doesn't seem as 'clumsy friendly' and I'm sure I'd singe off my ear or something.

Anyway I have used Hot Tools for years with no problems, each one lasts me at least 3-4 years before I have to replace it, and I kind of have a 'recipe' that works to keep my hair soft and healthy, I get trims every 8 weeks but I also use Pureology products and also now Keratase has a new line (orange bottles) which is just FABULOUS, it's expensive but you don't use very much and it literally makes my hair feel like silk. I also use the Keratase Relaxing Serum after I shower and put in Redken's AntiSnap for protection while I dry/flat iron/curl my hair. Then I use a bit of a shine serum (tons of brands have it) when I'm done. About a year ago my hair totally was getting dry so that is when I started using the Pureology and now the Keratase and it made a wonder of difference, so using the right products for shampoo, conditioner etc DO totally make a difference if you chemically treaten your hair AND abuse it like I do with various heated utensils!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara it''s funny that you brought up the larger curling iron as I had also been thinking about that as well. My hair definitely doesn''t need to be straightened - it is by nature straight. It has always had a silky texture to it - I can do highlights and/or use no conditioner to ''rough'' my hair up a bit. The difference in the stylist using the iron as opposed to me using my curling iron is that the curl and bend is larger giving the hair a poofy sort of look without looking curled.

Looks like Chi sells some curling irons made with the ceramic material - you get a bit of curl with the added bonus of the iron. While curling irons have never seemed to damage my hair, the ceramic may be easier on your hair than heated metal.

It''s definitely something to think about before I make a decision to purchase something. I don''t mind spending $100 on something that works - if it''s a bust and lays in a drawer then it is just a waste of money.

CourtHorn

Shiny_Rock
I also recommend the Hot Tools if you are going with a large curling iron. I have had a few different sizes over the last couple of years, and they really work well. My hair is super thick and course (and sucky) and pro flat irons or curling irons are the only ones that get hot enough to do anything. Those cheapo ones are target don''t make a dent! My flat iron is a Bion Digital Ceramic (150 bucks at Folica.com) it works well, but not fabulous.

My hair is so dry Mara, that I have been looking for something to use-- so I will try out your suggestions.

i also think I am going to upgrade my flat iron and hair dryer today! My BF is going to be so pleased
11.gif

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
I have medium length, fine textured wavy hair. The t3 is so amazing, the dryer dries it fast, shiny and adds a lot of body. I LOVE the straightener even more--it straightens in one swoop and flattens the flyaways i have. Its turns my crap hair new! LOL

i LOVE frederic fekkai products, esp the straightener. I love the way it smells. Also love the glossing spray from bumble and bumble (think it may be discontinued?).
I just got the T3 Evolution (eBay!) and OMG, it works like nothing I've tried before! I have layered hair and I always felt frizzy in the back. With the T3, nothing but silky soft hair! Amazing the difference! And it is so lightweight! I barely need to use my Enzo flat iron now. I also love, love, love the Fekkai shea butter shampoo and conditioner....that's my one indulgence! (well, ok, ONE of them...
9.gif
)

selflove

Brilliant_Rock
MissGR--don''t buy one of the Vidal Sassoon or Conair ones from Target, waste of your money. The brand of my flat iron is Ceramic Tools and it was about $50 at a beauty supply store. If your hair is already straight, you may be able to get away with a cheaper model like mine. My hair is super curly and it works great and I''ve had it for over 2 years.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes my hair is also quite thick and i was surprised that the hot tools (aka not a $100 model but a $60 one) works great on my hair and has for years, this is the curling iron. the flat iron doesn''t quite cut it for my thick haiir, one of the more expensive ones would probably work better, but i LOVE HT''s large curling irons, it gives my hair a soft flowing look but not curly...and the flat iron makes my hair a little ''too straight'' for my face if that makes sense!!

court horn i totally recommend the products i mentioned, they have worked wonders on my hair. i was using some other random brand of stuff that was on sale at the salon one day for a while and i think that just killed it, now with the mix of pureology and kerataste products it''s a whole different head of hair, also i used redken''s all soft for a while and that worked great too. the best part is that i am a total ''overuser'' of shampoo meaning i use a big glob of it because my hair is sooo thick but with the keratase shampoo i just use a tiny amount and it actually lathers up my whole head! previous products have promised that but never delivered. and it''s good because the bottle is like $30 for a small ~10oz one...but it has lasted me over 2 months so far and i am not even halfway down the bottle, i alternate usage with pureology as well. so it''s worth it.

kbaker

Shiny_Rock
I also get my hair chemically straightened and then follow it up with blow drying and a curing iron. The flat iron makes my hair too freaky straight. For anyone who straightens it chemically, what product do you use? My last salon used Menzanne (sp) and it was amazing. I just had my hair done a few months ago and they used a different chemical and it didn''t get the kinks out as well, I still have a few curls here and there, so I''m looking for another product option.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
For products I use Kerastase (an oily product that will treat and help prevent heat damage) when I blow dry, then I also apply a little Redken Smooth Down to my ends to make sure I dont singe them. I use the straightener and blow dryer every day and have found that I can go a long time between trims by doing this. Which is great since I"m trying to grow out my hair ; ) I also love Kerastase wax/pomade for styling, it's great for smoothing down cowlicks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo hoo i just got a chi flat iron on amazon. my old hot tools one which lasted me like 3 years just finally died died died and i need something ASAP!! i totally have been procrastinating on buying a Chi because i didn''t want to spend the time price shopping, i didn''t really feel like dropping coin on another hair product... AND i surely wasn''t going to pay $180 in the salon. so of course i need something NOW because i use the flat iron daily or else it''s bad news on the hair big time....
40.gif
my stylist uses her Chi on me in the salon and it does the trick quickly so i definitely wanted to try it.

so i managed to find it on amazon for $94 and then i signed up for a trial of amazon prime and got next day ship for $4.00 instead of $17.00...i''m leaving for a 1 day biz trip at like 1pm so i hope it comes before then, i will be desperate at that point!!
5.gif
wish me luck girls!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh mara, you will LOVE it! I couldn''t live without my chi.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
This is such a great topic...I recently got into straightening my wavy hair when I was on vacation. I bought a cheap straightener in Vegas and then when I got home invested in a middle of the road Hot Tools ceramic straightener. I love it. But you all have got me thinking I''m missing something with the Chi brand. I''ll have to check those out. I''m curious how Mara will like it since she''s going from Hot Tools to Chi. Let us know Mara...I want to know if its worth looking into!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results