shape
carat
color
clarity

What should we register for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
I am getting close to registering for the shower. My family usually registers at macys and fortunoff, but being in jax, I don''t have that down here...so I''ll probably register at BBB or lnt or target or any combo of those three. Anyway, we bought our house last year and so we have some stuff, but I''m not sure what I am missing...

WHAT WOULD YOU HAT TO LIVE WITHOUT??? WHAT SHOULD I REGISTER FOR???

thanks in advance!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
china? crystal? sterling?

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
We chose not to register and to ask for Lowe''s gift cards instead because we''d like a new washer and dryer more than anything. We already have the basics like sheets and towels, and my mother gave me her beautiful Noritake wedding china so we even have our formal china. Not registering turned out to be very confusing to people, though, and they just don''t seem to know what to make of the gift card thing.

If we had registered, I would have gone for really nice things that I would never buy for myself, like the stainless steel trashcan that I could never pay $170 for but people could go in together to get or the comforter set that I crave from Pottery Barn.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 8:38:53 PM
Author: ladykemma
china? crystal? sterling?
Haha - I actually didn''t register for any of those things! Never use it...couldn''t see the point in having to store it!

What about kitchen machines you might not have? I got a Cuisinart, blender, juicer, ice cream maker, crockpot....things that I might hold off on just buying for myself. Bread machine? (awesome for making breads, bread dough, and pizza dough!!)

Also, nice sheets or comforters, duvet covers, throw pillows, furniture...we registered for furniture at Pottery Barn. Even if no one buys it....you get a discount if after the wedding you want to purchase stuff you didn''t receive!!!

I wish I had registered at Williams-Sonoma...I am ADDICTED to that place. I registered at Pottery Barn, BBB, and Macy''s.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are registered at BB&B (because they are EVERYWHERE and have a great return policy) and C&B. I registered for All-Clad pots and pan, mix master, dyson, lots of little kitchen gagets that I just never bought myself, new towels, new sheets (we just got our king bed less than a year ago so only have one set), new comforter (made due with the full size down comforter until my mom bought our king one for my shower), new silverware (stainless), glasses, rice maker, good knives, mixing bowls, that kind of stuff. Pretty basic. Most places have a guide list to help you. We already own a home and have lived together for almost 4 years so basically I picked out really nice stuff I could see loving and lasting a long time and stuff I wouldn''t want to buy myself. The stuff we had/have were passed down to us and not in great decisions. Is it a waste, maybe, but people LOVE giving gifts (usually instead of money where I am from) so I rather it be something I like than something random they just pick out. The discount afterwards is nice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well... here's my theory. You know your guests and their budgets. For me-- I registered for four or five 'splurge' items... Dyson, a Lalique Vase... that kind of stuff. And then practical stuff like sheets I would like to have, and other things that fall into the 'can't have too much of this' catagory... and then finally really inexpensive stuff... measuring cups and so forth that people cold double up for what ever if they wanted to. I just registered someplace with a good return policy... and figured if I got it and decided I'd rather have 'x' I'd just return it all and get 'x.' Oh and I registered at more than one place. For china and stuff you can't beat Ross Simon's prices... and I thought I should pass that onto my guests... so even though they are mostly online... I registered there anyway.

The main piece of advice I was given is.. get your nice crystal and silver registered for. It's stuff that you'll probably not want to pay for yourself... but would cherish as a gift.

ETA: IF you are crystal and silver person. I am. I will be hosting holidays and love having dinner and cocktail parties. So for me, it made sense... so did the 20 place settings of Wedgwood White I bought myself (took it off the registry) because RS was have a nice sale. I then added a secondary dish set to my registry. Waterford Brocade. Love it. Will use it. Want it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we registered at WS, PB, and CB...kitchen stores much? hehee. i wanted some really quality pots and pans and similar...and we got every type of glassware known to man...as well as our china from CB. we got a few other house things too in the way of decor and a few smallish furniture pieces, but most of it was kitchen stuff, which i am addicted to..hehee. i didn't want to register for anything like towels or sheets or things that would go out of style or wear out and then i wouldn't have them anymore. with kitchen stuff or glassware, china etc i knew i'd have it for a really long time. whereas furniture and house decor stuff for me is typically seasonal.

the funniest thing is that my mom's friends gave us these really random expensive lead crystal stemware set (4 glasses) that are etched and rimmed with gold, totally not our style! well greg LOVES using those glasses for his wine. it's really funny. he doesn't let anyone else use them at all and he is always excited to use them. it totally cracks me up. we have like 40 other wine glasses (3 types) and here he is with the random lead crystal glasses he loves. too cute.

so you just never know, you may get something funky that you end up loving! i think that each person's registry is individual and you should register for what you really NEED or want. we already had a lot of things, we also got a few appliances like a good blender, ice cream maker etc. lately couples have been registering for things like honeymoons or wine collections or other things that are important to you. my cousin is getting married in september and they setup a honeymoon fund because they don't need anything else really. kinda cool.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
We''re serious winos, so we registered for 8 of every single type of Riedel wine glass available. That is what we couldn''t live without.

I know that''s a bit extreme to some, but just think of your favorite "lifestyle hobby" and shoot for the moon!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the Reidel idea, if you love wine it makes a lot of sense and why not have the best? I think we all love to get gifts...I have gadgets out the ying yang, juicers, fondue pots, waffles makers that spin or make heart shapes, cofffee grinders, expresso machines...I wanted it ALL. I I have upgraded things over the years and do use some of them, but most of it gathers dust. We are cleaning out closets right now and my hubby is laughing his butt off over the smoothie maker and special milksahke maker and the ice cream maker and the blah blah...I am trying to convince him that I WILL use it all, someday!!! I will be married 16 years in August and I have used my formal china, let me see, ONCE. It is in great shape and I have all the serving pieces too.. time for a garage sale?!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
We registered for some kitchen equipment that I haven''t been able to justify buying ourselves, the kitchenaid mixer being one of them. FI was totally fascinated with the dyson, so we did that too. We did a lot of little cheaper gadgets. No fancy silverware or china. Everyday settings is what we chose.

But what I really wanted was some nice bedding, so we registered for that. I figure that we spend a lot of them in that bed...might as well make it worthwhile!
31.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 12:32:08 AM
Author: Gypsy
Well... here''s my theory. You know your guests and their budgets. For me-- I registered for four or five ''splurge'' items... Dyson, a Lalique Vase... that kind of stuff. And then practical stuff like sheets I would like to have, and other things that fall into the ''can''t have too much of this'' catagory... and then finally really inexpensive stuff... measuring cups and so forth that people cold double up for what ever if they wanted to. I just registered someplace with a good return policy... and figured if I got it and decided I''d rather have ''x'' I''d just return it all and get ''x.'' Oh and I registered at more than one place. For china and stuff you can''t beat Ross Simon''s prices... and I thought I should pass that onto my guests... so even though they are mostly online... I registered there anyway.

The main piece of advice I was given is.. get your nice crystal and silver registered for. It''s stuff that you''ll probably not want to pay for yourself... but would cherish as a gift.

ETA: IF you are crystal and silver person. I am. I will be hosting holidays and love having dinner and cocktail parties. So for me, it made sense... so did the 20 place settings of Wedgwood White I bought myself (took it off the registry) because RS was have a nice sale. I then added a secondary dish set to my registry. Waterford Brocade. Love it. Will use it. Want it.
did you get 20 place settings? you bought for yourself? good for you! and 2 sets of china!

i have service for ten. if my party gets bigger than that, I have a (set of 40) plain glass plates, bowls, and small plates for buffet service. got those from garden ridge pottery. friends borrow it all the time, in fact I need to inventory and replace broken pieces.

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
thank you for all of the wonderful advice!!! We aren''t too big into wine, though we enjoy a glass now and then, so maybe a set of wine glasses to match pieces for china.

Tacori - we''ve been living w/each other for about 4yrs too, so we have a lot of hand-me-downs that I''d like to upgrade as well.

Mara - I understand the sheet thing, but the nice ones are so da** expensive right now that I think we will sign up for some quality egyptian cotton sheets & comforters. I also want alot of matching towels - since we are the vacation house for our family members, it would be nice to offer new towels to them!

Diamondfan-where''s your garage? heheheh, I know ur too far away to raid, but are u putting up any of your pieces in that sale? love your rings!!!!

I guess we''ll have to take a trip to the stores & start looking around..

One other question, I live in FL & my shower will be in NY...how do I nicely suggest (through bridal party) that my guests should purchase gifts off line so I wont have to lug everything 1000 miles after the shower? I know everyone loves showers b/c they get to see the gifts, but I can''t see myself driving a uhaul back from ny on I95...any suggestions?

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
A little bit off topic, but I''m a total sheet snob... high, high thread-count is a must. Department stores charge $200+ for high count sheets (450 or 600). I got a set of 800 thread count from overstock.com for $90, and a set of 1200 thread count for $140. They''re awesome, come in great colors and you''ll never want to get out of bed.
20.gif

Just an FYI really...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the PERFECT solution for you! We live in NC, one shower was in OH, one and the wedding in WI. What I did with the WI shower (because we drive to Ohio so it wasn't as big of a deal) was return all the big, heavy stuff and re-bought it when I got back to NC. Most my stuff is at BB&B and they made it SO easy to do this. Now that I am getting closer to the wedding lots of people are sending their gifts (which is also helpful).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lilmaria, i am a total towel and sheet/bedding whore...that's partially why we didnt need any for gifts...hehehe. i have so many sets of sheets for our bed and like 3 duvet covers for our bed, depending on my mood. the guest room has it's own set of towels and covers/quilts etc. also towels, wow...we have i think about 30...my husband is always asking why we have so many towels. i like plain plush white and creams because they go with everything and look crisp, but we also have a about 8 diff patterns of hand towels for the various bathrooms, i buy everything in sets of two....esp from PB when it's on sale is a great way to redo the bathroom for cheap. between my linens and kitchen obsession, it's crazy really. hehee.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
FI and I have nearly everything already so we''ve decided to upgrade. we reagistered for new pots and pans- stuff i wouldn''t just go out and buy, new glassware, stemware, dinnerware. we''ve even upgrading things like our toaster. we put a couple of sheet sets on our reg. too, cause you can always use another. we also have decided to register for our honeymoon.

so we are at:
C&B
BB&B
honeymoonwishes.com

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hey don''t forget about registering at places like REI. Together we''re 95% covered on kitchen stuff, so if we do register it''ll probably be with Rei or something.

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
That''s a great idea, Tacori. I hope I have enough time to do it though, I think my shower will by around thanksgiving break b/c school will be out and I can travel to NY w/out a problem. My sister-in-law doesn''t think too many people will send gifts via online/mail b/c they like to see the bride open them at the shower. Who knows...worse comes to worse, I''ll have to stay an extra day or mail some to myself!

Thanks!

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
What''s Rei? never heard of it

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

maybe it''s a west coast thing?
23.gif
It''s the biggest, greatest, get off your duff and start moving, outdoor sports store. http://www.rei.com/ I guess I was thinking of it because it''s a fairly common place to register in the Pacific NW where fi comes from and because we just bought mountain bikes to celebrate our engagement. We''re going to be a fit active and fun couple rather than dumpy computer potatoes like we are now.
2.gif

9.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful about registering at Target--don''t get me wrong, I adore target, and I shop there constantly, but their return policy is not the greatest. They pretty much only give store credit for gift returns and if it''s on sale, you get the sale price in credit rather than the price that was originally paid (unless they have changed that policy recently). Plus they tend to discontinue patterned items pretty quickly (it seems like it happens with each season change), so if you register for something, it may disapear from shelves before anyone buys it (dishes, bedding, towels, etc). There are of course lots of items that don''t become discontinued quickly and will be avaliable like vaccumes, grills and such, and those things would be safe to register for. Or you may want to register for Target gift cards because it sure is fun to shop there--I just hear it is not so fun to return things there.

BB&B used to have a policy where they gave you a 20% discount off of everything on your registry that you do not recieve as a gift, so if they still have that policy, that could be pretty cool.

Oh and there is a great checklist on theknot.com for registering.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/16/2006 12:56:52 PM
Author: IndieJones
23.gif

maybe it''s a west coast thing?
23.gif
It''s the biggest, greatest, get off your duff and start moving, outdoor sports store. http://www.rei.com/ I guess I was thinking of it because it''s a fairly common place to register in the Pacific NW where fi comes from and because we just bought mountain bikes to celebrate our engagement. We''re going to be a fit active and fun couple rather than dumpy computer potatoes like we are now.
2.gif

9.gif

We have them in the midwest too and one is coming to Charlotte now. They are a co-op which is kind of cool.

lilmaria

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help. I''m on the east coast and haven''t heard of REI. I''ve never been camping, though it sounds like fun. I didn''t think about the return policy, so thanks for the food for thought! I think I might check into MACYS in orlando so my NY family members can get me things from there & BB&B for NY/FL. I love WS, CB and PB but I think some of their things are too expensive to request for gifts. I figured target would be easy b/c they have tools for FI, but maybe homedepot would be better...hmmmm not sure. I just sent out my STD cards so, hopefully I''ll have some registry items up w/in the next month or so. I don''t want to seem to anxious to get my gifts!!! lol

Congrats, SDL on the pink mixer, my friend just got the sage one for her bday. I like it, but dont think I''d use it too often...the older I get the more I like cooking rather than baking...maybe when i have kids it will change, who knows.

have a good one!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Those pink mixers are precious!

36.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I dunnos if you are big into cooking or not, but the one thing DH and I have used the most since our wedding is our new Wustof knife set. It is absolutely amazing how much fun chopping can be with quality, sharp knives.... and they are so expensive, it was nice to recieve them all... it woulda taken a long time for us to build up a set like that on our own.

The other thing we''ve used a lot is our bakeware - we totally upgraded on this, bc what I had was pretty much old hand-me-downs from college, and the new stuff is so much nicer - evenly heated and the non-stick surface is still non-stick!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results