shape
carat
color
clarity

Millionaire Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
I thought I'd introduce myself to this board with my proposal which happened in May 2005.

We live in Sydney, Australia, and drove 13 hours north to reach the sunny Sunshine Coast. After a week of chilling out in the surf and sunbaking, we collapsed back at the hotel. My girlfriend Mira had always been a fan of the TV show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", so having no energy to do anything else, I said "who wants to play 'Who wants to be a millionaire'?"

She excitedly said "How?", so I grabbed the remote control for the hotel TV and switched on the TV. Whilst the TV picture was coming on, she said "but it's on Monday night, not now". The show's intro started nonetheless. "Wow" she said. Little did she know things had been going on behind the scene. You see, I'd been to the "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" website and ripped off their online version of the TV game. I modified it to look like the start of the TV show and customized the gameplay for my purpose. I put questions in there that were not too easy but not too hard either, and instead of monetary prizes, I had loving surprises which would only be revealed when she answered their question correctly. I had the game running on my laptop, secretly hidden behind the television and I had a cordless mouse hidden in my pocket for control.

The intro finished, and to her surprise a game screen came up. "What's this? - how do I play?" she excitedly demanded. I wish I'd taken a photo of us in the hotel room with the TV, but it was the last thing on my mind. Here's a pic what she saw on the TV anyway:

61545643.jpg

I then took the role of the host of the Australian version of the show, 'Eddy', (who is relatively easy to impersonate), and announced the first question. She immediately said "Lock in answer B" - I clicked the appropriate mouse button sequence in my pocket, answer B highlighted and the familiar "correct" sound was heard. She had won her first prize, a loving hug. But she could only have it if she quit now or chose to continue answering questions until she'd passed the first safe level, question #5.

She decided to continue, and she continued answering correctly and had the surprizes revealed to her along the way. She answered #5 correctly and was jubilant in knowing she's secured those prizes. She went to continue, but the familiar "end of show" horn sounded and I informed her the show would continue tomorrow.

Next night - "When are we playing Millionaire?" she asked hopping up and down.

"It's on at 7.30 - in 10 minutes" I responded.

Soon we were back in action, she answered the next question correctly, but got stumped on #7.

"Do I get my lifelines?".

"Of course". These are the 3 second chance 'cards' the show gives, allowing her to narrow the answer choices from 4 to 2, ask the audience for their opinion, or finally phone a (intelligent) friend.

She asked the audience's opinion, I displayed what they all said, and she went with their choice. She sighed when she heard the 'correct' sound.

She moved on, used another lifeline and continued to reveal the prizes that she'd might be winning. She finally secured those prizes and then reached the second last question.

It was a toughy, a question dealing with a piece of mountaineering equipment - very foreign to her. I relied totally on her ringing her best friend Frankie (an outdoor girl) for help. But somehow Mira started to mumble the right answer, but I really wanted her to ring her friend, so I started to point out what happens if she's wrong. She caved in and rang Frankie.

Frankie confirmed her choice, it was correct and I informed her that the prize, "Something Warm", was hiding in the wardrobe. She rushed over and discovered this coat that she'd dreamed of owning, one that Frankie had secretly told me about weeks before.

She was still on the phone to Frankie when she saw it. Her softly spoken words: "f###, ........... Frankie..., it's that... that brown coat".

It couldn't have gone better to plan. After 10 minutes, Mira calmed down and asked, "There's a final prize? What is it? A car?"

"Let's see". We went to play on but the "end of show" horn sounded.

The next day we checked into a beautiful bed & breakfast getaway retreat in the mountains run by a Japanese couple - it was exactly the style we appreciate, incense, shiatsu, no TV. The next morning just before checking out to head back home, I said "ah, we forgot to finish Millionaire last night".

Mira said "but there's no TV here".

I said "we don't need it - come outside"

We went out to the backyard which overlooked the valley and hills, sun still breakfasting on the morning's fog. I had 'installed' the male host at a secret window with a camera with a big zoom lens and the hostess collected a fresh bouquet of flowers from her garden for me.

I had Mira close her eyes and I handed her the bouquet. I said "The final, million dollar question is.." - I knelt down, flipped open a box revealing a diamond begging for attention and continued "will you marry me?".

She opened her eyes, saw the diamond, realised that this was more than a game and whilst still in shock, told me "yes" and we kissed....

61548607.jpg

We had the diamond mounted in a ring handmade by Mira's family jeweler who fit the stereotype perfectly - a fantastic grey-haired Jewish man with a permanent monocle attached to his eye. I'll post a pic of the ring one day.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Stebbo! What a fantastic and amazing story
6.gif
I'm really in awe of how detailed your proposal was! Congratulations and welcome to PS!
35.gif

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that''s for sharing the proposal story! That is truly unique and must be exciting to share with people the details!!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful, thoughtful, and fantastic proposal!!! It sounded like it went perfectly according to plan and she loved it! Bravo!
36.gif

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...this was such a thoughtful proposal! Props to you...

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~That has to be one of my favorite proposals ever!!!
2.gif

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your kind comments - it still brings a smile to my face to read the story today. I might even post how the wedding turned out, it wasn''t exactly conventional either.

Stebbo

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you certainly win the prize for most inventive proposal!!! She must have loved it...I loved reading it so I can only imagine being there!!! We need ring and ceremony details as well, cannot miss out on these!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
worshippy.gif

Post the other stories!
1.gif

Sujuann

Shiny_Rock
So I am at work reading this.... and totally bawling!! That is awesome!!! What a great way to propose! I can''t write much more because I called in all the females in my office to come read this!

Congratulations!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha the only thing i could think of while reading this was....damn i SOO wouldn''t be all into playing the game night after night on vacation. she sounds VERY agreeable. i''d be like HEY, what is this all about, how did you rig this, must have details, what does this mean, why can''t we finish tonite, what is up with the 3 night dealio, are you messing with me...
11.gif

congratulations!!! very detailed proposal!
5.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2006 2:09:33 PM
Author: Mara
ha ha the only thing i could think of while reading this was....damn i SOO wouldn''t be all into playing the game night after night on vacation. she sounds VERY agreeable. i''d be like HEY, what is this all about, how did you rig this, must have details, what does this mean, why can''t we finish tonite, what is up with the 3 night dealio, are you messing with me...
11.gif

LOL - Mara and I SOOOOO don''t have the patience for something like this! LOL

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
1.gif

I guess what kept her patient was the fact that it was a game with very real prizes along the way, each of the two nights were only 15-20 minutes long, and that the 'come back tomorrow' bit is a teasing part of the real game as well, (that she is very familiar with).

Stebbo

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Stebbo, you have the patience of a saint to draw this out for 3 nights, most men can''t wait to get it over and done with because they''re a bag of nerves. You did good. Congrats!

debi wexler

Rough_Rock
Stebbo,

You have quite an imagination and you are very much "the planner". I am a frequent lurker, but rarely make too many comments on Pricescope. This story, however, really warranted some positive recognition - not that you were looking for it! Your fiance is very lucky to have a guy who thinks about every last detail - Japanese Inn etc... Please keep the post going. I would like to read what comes next
2.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ya Know... I gotta stop reading these things.. it only makes me wonder "WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY HUSBAND!!!!" Geez... how come only some people are beaten with a romantic stick and others with the ... ummm... not romantic stick?

Sounds great!!

stebbo

Shiny_Rock
It's very nice to relive the experience, and hear such nice comments too. Thanks.

Well I promised I'd post how the wedding went - here goes:

Three days after leaving the Japanese Bed & Breakfast Inn, we were on the plane to Slovakia to meet Mira�s family and to have a European Wedding. After many weeks of greeting and sightseeing, we started to do the preparations for the wedding - visiting many castles and organising paperwork (yes, 14th century castles are affordable over there!). It however was a long, bureaucratic process and we became very frustrated by the limitations on where we could marry and the level of authentication required. It got also tricky because Mira's parents insisted on paying for everything, which made us feel restricted. The wedding began to lose its oomph.

Then one night, dispiritedly we joked "let's just go to America and get married". The joke developed into a vision so romantic that we became serious about it and decided to "just do it". We got all excited about the wedding again, made our travel plans, worked out a way to break it softly to Mira's parents and in a matter of days, took off on our wedding/honeymoon adventure! We drove to Vienna, Austria, and flew to Los Angeles. We then drove up to San Francisco via the stunning coastline and then caught a plane over to Las Vegas. And before you ask, no, we didn't want an Elvis/Marilyn wedding.

We arrived without a booking at the huge Luxor pyramid hotel and took possession of a large suite with a big spa and lounge room. Tomorrow we would be getting married - it was hard to believe. We went an obtained a license to marry, and checked out the wedding chapels, thinking if they were good enough for Britney, they'd be good enough for us. But we didn�t like them at all. We then checked out some of the chapels in the hotels, and had a good feeling about the one in the hotel we were staying at - so we booked it for 6pm, next day.

We woke up exhausted, and both of us still had the flu. A lot had to be done today - buy some formal clothes, hair, nails, makeup, learn to waltz, even attend a timeshare condo sales talk we'd been sucked into.

The day didn't start well. I spent 2 hours on the phone finding out why our bank account back in Australia was locked. Not today, please. Maybe the bank knew we were going to a sales talk? - Behind schedule. "Conned-dominium" sales guy calls - Sorry, no time. Off to the mall to buy the full outfit for me and a nice evening dress for Mira. We parted to rejoin in 60 minutes. I came back with trousers, jacket, shirt, bow tie, shoes and belt, Mira came back with nothing, and not because she was picky - they simply didn't have any dresses there.

In the taxi - bonus tip for fast driving, off to the taxi-driver�s choice of wedding-gown hire shops. I waited in the taxi, Mira finally emerged with the wedding dress, shoes, tiara, and veil. Back to the hotel at 2pm for Mira's hair/nails/makeup appointments. I prepared myself back in the hotel room and discussed some vows with the mirror, then took myself and the rings down to the chapel. I met the photographer, asking him to make sure the 60 odd empty chairs didn't appear in the photographs. I also met the minister whom I waited with until the big French doors opened.

In she came, she was amazing. The dress was spectacular, her hair was fairytale, her walking pace was... very fast. Was she on a skateboard? No, just nerves. She arrived to the front before I had a chance to admire anything else. The minister did his bit, I said my vows, Mira said hers, bla bla, and then the photographer played with us for a while. We then had a fantastic dinner at Italian Steakhouse in the hotel complex, the obvious destination to take your new (vegetarian) bride? I think they applied the "just married and thinking of other things" surcharge from the amount of the bill.

Then we went for a bit of a glamour trip around the hotel, still in our wedding attire, lapping up the attention. With the aid of a miniature tripod, we took lots of portraits against the Egyptian backdrops. And that's about it (well not really but that'll do). What a day!

52901657.jpg

Stebbo

PS. More pics at http://www.pbase.com/clasico if you're interested.

debi wexler

Rough_Rock
Stebbo,

I had to check out this thread again. Thanks for Chapter 2. Your bride and now lovely wife is glowing in the black and white. sounds like you had a few bumps on the way, but in the end love conquers all. Congrats - look forward to seeing the first year anniversary story unless anything comes up sooner
9.gif

Best of luck to both of you,

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow that has to be one of the most amazing wedding pictures i have ever seen!!!! you two look divine! congratulations!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it too, it looks like you both are about to waltz together...love the black and white!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results