shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens if I buy a Cartier watch from a non-authorized dealer (such as amazon.com) ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I''m pretty much mentally committed to buying a small-size stainless steel ladies Tank Francaise.

I can get a great price from amazon.com However, there are no buyer reviews of that model (or any Cartier model that I checked). So I''m not sure what that means.

Questions:

- Why do so many websites sell Cartier? None of them are authorized retailers (Cartier''s own website says it does not guarantee *any* watches bought on the internet). I assume some of the online watches must be fake, but some of them must be authentic also! Where are these coming from? I assume Cartier themselves?
- Normally, I would totally trust merchandise from amazon. Any reason I shouldn''t?
- Cartier''s website says their Guarantee only covers watches from Cartier boutiques or authorized retailers. So does a watch from a non-authorized retailer affect the watch''s value (resale or otherwise)?
- I went into Birks (in Montreal, Canada) today and looked at the same watch. They said they or Cartier would absolutely never service a watch for a non-authorized retailer (even if I paid out of pocket for the repairs). They said nobody else would either (which I doubt... I have a watch expert here who does my antique watches and my husband''s Tissot). Any comments?
- Anything else I should think of?

BTW, I saw jomashop.com mentioned on PS as a possible place for luxury watches. They did have a good price (very similar to Amazon''s); however, when I checked the site''s shopper feedback on Yahoo, it was really bad!! The default feedback filter is set to "positive comments", but if you set to "negative comments" (or even just "recent comments"), there are many reports of cancelled orders, out of stock items, bad service, etc. So beware!!

Anne

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
When you buy a watch from a unathorized dealer you can never have it serviced at cartier, but of course other folks can fix a watch. in terms of value- some unathorized dealers sell real cartiers... but sometimes the serial number on the watch has been scratched out and this will always effect resale value. other unathorized dealers sell fakes.

i own two cartier watches and I would NEVER pay full price. However I did negotiate with a jewelry store that is a authorized dealer and i got a great price because I knew the best price i could get online from a reputable unathorized dealer. i do not know about amazon... I would highly recommend alanfurman.com

good luck!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my cartier from jomashop a few years ago and had no problems with them. My watch has a serial number and all paperwork. I believe they sell "black market" cartier watches, which are similar to what you get when you buy a watch at one of the islands on vacation. These watches are authentic and just as good as any other cartier watch but can be only sold outside US. The seller has not paid US taxes and the watches are not covered by US warranty. I'm still not convinced that warranty is such a good thing because US warranty has a lot of exclusions and you mightl have to pay for repairs.

The savings in buying not from an authorized retailer are substantial and, since the watches are high quality, I doubt that you will need repairs. However, if you do, the difference is price will probably cover them a few times over.

How do you feel about a used cartier? Signed pieces has a few of them for sale now and seem to be in great condition. Those will be authentic.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I dont think it''s as cut and dry as "they wont service your watch." I investigated this issue a lot before I bought my JLC. Grey market watches are typically watches that are over stocked by ADs. But ADs should, technically, be willing to take in your watch for official servicing. Let''s say you bought a pre owned watch from an AD. And you need to send it for servicing. There''s really no way that Cartier can know if you bought that watch at a Cartier AD or anywhere else. So technically they should service it for you. Particularly if you send it to them directly. But I''ve never tried it myself so I could be talking out my patootie!

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the issue with service is when there is no serial number- I found many online dealers did not mention it.... but if I called and asked, they admited the serial number had been "removed."

By the way- surfgirl- I have a JLC too and almost no one knows what the heck it is (except for watch folks)- NICE choice!!!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green, by ''service'' do you mean cleaning the watch or something else?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone.

So Surfgirl (or anyone else reading this who bought a luxury watch) - Did you end up buying it from an AD or not? What were factors in your decision?

Thanks,

Anne

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I bought my Omega Constellation and my Rolex Lady Datejust from AD's. I wanted full service on my watches, without hassle or question. Also, my jeweler will let me upgrade, if I desire
2.gif
It is tempting, however, to go on the grey market because of the prices.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Service can be a lot of things. i was told it should be brought in about every 5 years for cleaning/ general maintance for inside and outside. Maybe this is just being cautios- who knows. service also is if anything breaks or if it gets too wet, etc.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 12:58:59 PM
Author: Green with Envy
I think the issue with service is when there is no serial number- I found many online dealers did not mention it.... but if I called and asked, they admited the serial number had been ''removed.''

By the way- surfgirl- I have a JLC too and almost no one knows what the heck it is (except for watch folks)- NICE choice!!!
Niiiice, Green! Which model do you have? Mine is the old, smaller sized JLC Master Control, with the solid back, 18kt gold seal on the back, and French "Automatique" on the dial. I L
30.gif
30.gif
E that watch! I wanted something old school, like I''d inherited it from a grandfather or something.

Anne, yes, I did buy from an AD - from Neiman Marcus in fact. Because they wheel and deal on their watches. I dont know if they negotiate on high end jewels too, but we got a serious deal on my watch because JLC was phasing out the smaller 27mm size (I loathe that all nice watches are becoming tackily humongoid now), and so mine was one of the last older sizes in stock within NM, so I got quite the deal. Plus, it came with a black semi glass croc band on a deployant buckle and I said I preferred ostrich, so they sent me a free ostrich band and let me keep the black croc as well. And, with the ostrich band they included a JLC tang buckle just in case I preferred buckle to deployant clasp. I also decided that the deloyant was too large on my wrist so they swapped that out for a newer, smaller version. All in all, I''ve been very happy with my watch and the JLC/NM service. I''d highly recommend seeing if your local NM carries Cartier watches...I cant remember if they do.

BTW, watch "servicing" for high end time pieces includes a thorough cleaning, re-lube the inner workings, polishing cases, etc. and for time pieces of this level, they usually take them completely apart for servicing so it''s quite the task and it can take up to 6 months to get your watch back if it has to go back to "the spa" (ie: Switzerland) for something specific (most watch houses in Switzerland have a US service center in the NY/NJ area, but sometimes your watch needs special attention that can only be done at the mothership, hence it being sent to Switzerland)...My philosophy is if it aint broke dont service it! I''m waiting until my fine watches need servicing. Some folks have perfectly functioning watches, send them for service, and they come back not as precise...

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I know some Neimans do have Cartier... but I am quite surprised about surfgirls awesome deal. neimans is one of the only high end stores that does not even have an annual "friends and family" sale.

i went with an auth. dealer for piece of mind--- but as I said I did negotiate in a HUGE way. An official cartier store supposedly will not negotiate... but if you go to a mom and pop authorized dealer- they sure will. Also- I am not planning on sending my automatic cartier of my quartz JLC until I have to... why mess with it if it ain''t broke.

Surfgirl- my JLC was my first big purshase when I finally started making money. It will always be my favorite watch for looks and sentimental reasons. I was just told they do not make the exact same one I have any more-- the face is different. Mine is the woman''s reverso in stainless steel... it has a mother of pearl face and diamonds for numbers. it has a strip of diamonds at the top and bottom of the face that goes all around... so when I flip it over it is silver with diamond border on the opposite side. there is one JLC approved engraver who is the only one authorized to do engraving on the plain side-- you can put initial, family crest, etc. i still have mine plain and I call it my Vegas watch... when I am there I flip it over so it looks like a bracelet and you just do not need to know what time it is in Vegas!
31.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh I LOVE that watch! Except the one with two sides! And yes, I've seen the work the JLC engraver does at the spa and it is amazing! I believe it's two people is it? Or maybe just the one, but what a master engraver! The monograms are exquisite and the more figurative work is stunning. If you've never done so, please visit both Timezone.com and The Purists.com. Both have exceptional watch sites with specific JLC forums and they're always pleased to see a female JLC admirer, though both are a bit of a boy's club if you know what I mean!

Yeah, and who knew that NM would make deals on a watch? I was stunned when I gave them my price and they said okay. And I forgot to add before that after I got my watch, there were too many little scratches all over it - they said it was from taking it in and out of the case all the time but that seemed odd to me for a watch of that price range, so I complained and they gave me another 5% off what I already paid. Can you believe that? I was quite impressed. The currently have my beloved Master Ultra Thin on a black croc strap in SS and it is DIvine! So thin you barely feel it on. But it's mechanical wind, not automatic. Yours is a quartz? I had no idea they ever made a quartz model. You can see mine on this thread somewhere...

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/antique-jewelry-box-collection-bling-t62524.html

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Surfgirl- that is THE BEST thread!!! Love all the boxes and goodies! I have been in contact with the engraver in the past and he sent me some fresh ideas for initials and such- but i just can not pull the trigger. it is so pretty just plain! I was told it is very unusual to make automatic watches that are so small- I believe most of their delicate womens watches are quartz. My cartier is automatic- but I got the unisex mid size version.

To anne- you will never regret getting that cartier... it is a classic. Is amazon cheaper than $2650?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Surgirl & Green, you JLCs sound great. I love JLC watches but I'm not in that price range yet. Surfgirl, did you go with non-metal band because of price?

Have you sent your watches in for cleaning or do you do it yourself? I never cleaned my watch and see some dirt on the underside of the bracelet but afraid to screw it up somehow. It's SS.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a metal oyster bracelet on my Rolex, and leather straps on my JLC. I went with leather on the JLC because it''s an old school watch and IMO it should have an old school leather strap. Plus, I love the ostrich band and the black croc band is gorgeous as well.

As for grunge on the back of the bracelet or dial - just take a damp cloth and wipe it off well, then take a dry cloth and dry/polish it to make sure it''s dry. Easy!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2007 7:39:35 PM
When you buy a watch from a unathorized dealer you can never have it serviced at cartier, but of course other folks can fix a watch. in terms of value- some unathorized dealers sell real cartiers... but sometimes the serial number on the watch has been scratched out and this will always effect resale value. other unathorized dealers sell fakes.

i own two cartier watches and I would NEVER pay full price. However I did negotiate with a jewelry store that is a authorized dealer and i got a great price because I knew the best price i could get online from a reputable unathorized dealer. i do not know about amazon... I would highly recommend alanfurman.com

good luck!
Have you used alanfurman.com? $500 for a Rolex seems too good to be true! My SIL is not far from there. I was thinking of sending her there for a look around.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
they have a rolex for only $500? Is it just the band??? I know others who have used them- good return policy. i think it is well worth checking out.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Regarding servicing...I bought a new Cartier watch from an unauthorized dealer, and being a duffus, promptly overwound it. (It''s mechanical.)

I took it into an AD for repair, and had no problem. They didn''t ask where I''d purchased it.

widget

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/14/2007 8:12:28 PM
they have a rolex for only $500? Is it just the band??? I know others who have used them- good return policy. i think it is well worth checking out.
Oh duh!!! The savings is $500. Not the price!!! The red numbers got me all messed up. Time to go get those roots touched up so I look the blonde part.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results