shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Roadster Watch

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
One of my friends got this watch with the pink face and I am in LOVE! First off, does anyone have any experience with it; keeping good time, etc?

Also, I noticed that there are dealers online that sell these watches at steep discounts. Some mention they ARE NOT authorized dealers. Does that mean Cartier will not service the watch?

Is there a problem with a high end watch service center servicing this type of watch?

Are there problems with buying these pre-owned?

Thanks.

Watch1.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Jo...I love the Roadster! I''ve admired/coveted it for a long time.

I hope someone knowledgeable answers your questions, particularly if manufacturers will honor warrantees and service watches that were purchased from ''unauthorized'' dealers.

I asked an unauthorized, discount dealer this question some time ago, and he assured me that the watch I was inquiring about was new, came with all the papers, that the warantees were good, etc. etc...but I''d rather hear this from someone who wasn''t eager to sell it too me!

widget

elle

Shiny_Rock
Cute. cute, cute! I never knew that came with a pink face!
30.gif

To answer some of your questions:
I've had my cartier for 7-8 yrs - haven't had any problems with it - yet *knock on wood*.
I've had my watch serviced and they didn't ask for any verification or proof of purchase - you still have to pay for the servicing anyway. Not sure about the warranty issue though.
I don't think there will be a problem if they are an authorised dealer of the watch. However, that being said I always go back to cartier as I need a new strap every 6 months.
20.gif
I would not use anyone that is not an authorised dealer or does not carry the watch in the store - no matter how high end.
The only issue I have with pre-owned is trust. Unless you know and trust the dealer - who's to say the watch still has authentic parts inside. I have seen some really good copies. Hth
1.gif

Please post pics if and when you get it!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2006 6:03:01 AM
Author:Jo
One of my friends got this watch with the pink face and I am in LOVE! First off, does anyone have any experience with it; keeping good time, etc?

Also, I noticed that there are dealers online that sell these watches at steep discounts. Some mention they ARE NOT authorized dealers. Does that mean Cartier will not service the watch?

Is there a problem with a high end watch service center servicing this type of watch?

Are there problems with buying these pre-owned?

Thanks.
Jo
all "gray market" watches comes from authorized dealers so, there''s a good chance it will have a authorized dealer''s stamp on the warrantee card,if that is the case then i don''t see a problem with the warrantee.

i bought my Lange 1 (my avatar) from a UNauthorize dealer but, i make sure i got all the boxes,warrantee card, etc....

Jo

Shiny_Rock
elle - Have you had the Roadster for that many years? If so, great track record.

Dancing Fire - Can you recommend a good online dealer to purchase this watch from?

I called Cartier Service Center today. They said they would service the watch (for free)and honor the 2 year warranty if the watch comes from an authorized dealer. If it comes from an UNAUTHORIZED dealer they will still service, but will have to charge.

Anyway, looks like it''s possible to shave off 1/3 the retail price by going online and unauthorized.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/26/2006 11:45:47 PM
Author: Jo
elle - Have you had the Roadster for that many years? If so, great track record.

Dancing Fire - Can you recommend a good online dealer to purchase this watch from?

I called Cartier Service Center today. They said they would service the watch (for free)and honor the 2 year warranty if the watch comes from an authorized dealer. If it comes from an UNAUTHORIZED dealer they will still service, but will have to charge.

Anyway, looks like it's possible to shave off 1/3 the retail price by going online and unauthorized.
Jo
here's a web site on watches....
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32

if....the warrantee card has an authorized dealer stamp,i don't see why you would have any problem getting it service under warranty (if needed).

elle

Shiny_Rock
No, I have a baignoire.
1.gif
It''s battered on the outside but still going strong.

May I know which is the website you''re getting the watch from?

Do post pics when you get it!
9.gif

Jo

Shiny_Rock
elle - I''m in the process of emailing different websites regarding warranties, sales tax and shipping. Will let you know the final outcome.

Went to try it on again yesterday - it is so beautiful with the pink face. My DH thinks I''m OBSESSED!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: elle
No, I have a baignoire.
1.gif
It''s battered on the outside but still going strong.
Did you know that its relatively easy and inexpensive to have your watch repolished? (Stainless steal ones, anyway). They come back looking brand new!

widget

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2006 2:50:24 AM
Author: elle
No, I have a baignoire.
HI:

Besides the Tank Americanne, this is my fav. Cartier watch! Lucky gal!

Altho my DH doesn''t wear any jewellery, he loves this Cartier model--and the last time I checked the two shops in town who sell are authorized to Cartier, they are willing to give at least 20% off the retail price. Do unauthorized agents give substantially more?? Now I am really curious....

cheers--Sharon

Mr Majestyk

Rough_Rock
Cartier is usually considered jewelry first, and a watch second, but I think that with some of their designs, notably the Roadster, that image is changing.

elle

Shiny_Rock
widget - I did ask previously at the Cartier store but they said it couldn't be done. Maybe cos mine's wg or maybe Cartier just doesn't polish?? When I send my 1/2 gold & s/s rolex for servicing - it comes back looking like a brand new watch
36.gif
Is there somewhere I can take it to?

Sharon - Thanks!
9.gif
That was second on my watch list - I waited 2 years to get it!

Jo - I'm so excited for ya! Can't wait to see that cutie on your wrist!
9.gif

Mr Majestyk

Rough_Rock
Any decent watchmaker can polish any watch, regardless of metal. There''s a limit to what they can remove. Deep scratches and gouges are likely to remain visible, but the overall effect will be a graet improvement. Usually to do it properly the movement should be removed from the case, thus adding to the cost.

Yes, Rolex does a superb job refinishing their watches.They generally look brand new. I have one with a couple of deep nicks that would require removing much metal to smooth over, so they left them. That''s OK. Some battle scars are inevitible. I bought that watch used and it is 15 years old, so the two little marks are not a big deal. In fact, many owners of vintage Rolexes prefer NO case polishing, lest the edges of the case get rounded.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
canuk-gal - In my research so far the online dealers have steep discounts, close to 1/3 off Cartier''s price.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2006 5:52:28 PM
Author: Mr Majestyk
Any decent watchmaker can polish any watch, regardless of metal. There''s a limit to what they can remove. Deep scratches and gouges are likely to remain visible, but the overall effect will be a graet improvement. Usually to do it properly the movement should be removed from the case, thus adding to the cost.
HI:

I can attest to Ebel and Concord: whenever I have sent either of my watches for servicing they come back looking brand new! Can''t imagine why Cartier wouldn''t be the same.......

Thanks Jo for the tip: to which online sites are you partial?.....the wheels are turning.......

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2006 6:52:50 PM
canuk-gal - In my research so far the online dealers have steep discounts, close to 1/3 off Cartier''s price.
yep....30-35% off retail sounds right. for Rolex...you''ll be lucky to get 20% off.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2006 8:02:47 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

yep....30-35% off retail sounds right. for Rolex...you''ll be lucky to get 20% off.
HI:

I understood that Rolex delers were really "not allowed" to deal on their watches for fear of losing the license--correct me if I am wrong: that said I was interested in a Cellini for my DH and one fella locally said he "could manage" 20% off on that line, but zip on the sports watches (submariner, yachtmaster, etc...)

cheers--Sharon

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire - Do you think Rolex discounts are less because they hold their value better?

Speaking of that, does anyone out there know which manufacturers are best at retaining resale value?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/30/2006 1:55:02 AM
Dancing Fire - Do you think Rolex discounts are less because they hold their value better?

Speaking of that, does anyone out there know which manufacturers are best at retaining resale value?
Jo
Sharon is 100% correct on the above post.
36.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/29/2006 8:41:58 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 5/29/2006 8:02:47 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

HI:

I understood that Rolex delers were really ''not allowed'' to deal on their watches for fear of losing the license--correct me if I am wrong: that said I was interested in a Cellini for my DH and one fella locally said he ''could manage'' 20% off on that line, but zip on the sports watches (submariner, yachtmaster, etc...)

cheers--Sharon
Sharon
a SS Daytona is worth close to the 18k/SS model
2.gif
shhh!!! don''t tell everybody.
28.gif

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Jewelry....such an expensive habit. DH thinks I should take up knitting instead; much easier on the wallet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results