shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Morrell Sunburst Solitaire with GOG Solasfera

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Dear all experts,

I have recently purchased an E color 0.82st SI1 Solasfera from GOG and I''m planning on setting it in Mark Morrell Solitaire. I need some help from experts here before going ahead with the decision.

1) I measured an existing ring that my GF has which is a size I in Australia. I need the equivalent sizes in USA size. The confusion arose because some conversion chart converts it as 4.5 and some 4.25. Which one is the accurate one?
2) I was told by my best friend who is in the jewellery trade in Singapore NOT to get platinum ring. This is because there are very few platinumsmith in Singapore willing to work with platinum and it will be very costly to have it resize or polish in the future. Also Mark Morrell uses 90% Platinum and 10% Iridium which is not the common 950 Platinum. Will this really cause me major problems in the future?
3) My GF liked a thin shank and I''m just wondering how thin is thin since this is my first time buying a ring. The diamond width is about 6.09mm and her finger size is about 4.5, would 2mm be too thin or I should go slightly thicker like 2.2mm or 2.5mm?

Thank you.

Aaron

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
1) I would give Mark the Australian size and let him make it that way.
2) I would still get platinum, I dont think it will cause you "major problems" if any.
3) I would ask MM for his opinion, but think a 2mm shank would be lovely.

Good Luck it sounds like your girlfriend is going to have a stunning ring!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I have a size 4.5 ring with a 2.5 mm shank (cathedral solitaire), and I think 2.5 mm looks plenty thin (for me at least). Ask Mark his opinion.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 8:06:57 PM
Author: Matatora
1) I would give Mark the Australian size and let him make it that way.

2) I would still get platinum, I dont think it will cause you ''major problems'' if any.

3) I would ask MM for his opinion, but think a 2mm shank would be lovely.

Good Luck it sounds like your girlfriend is going to have a stunning ring!

ditto on all 3.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am betting that sunburst solitaire is a bit wider than 2mm, but it is well proportioned and I''d probably get it as designed. My solitaire setting will be 2.5 mm and that is still thin.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I was hoping to see pictures. I think this combination will be divine. I have never seen anything from MMM that I didn''t love. And the solasfera - wow. I don''t think you should have to worry about sizing too much as long as it is done right the first time. I have had mine sized up (just a bit at a time) a couple times over the years due to a bit of weight gain and the fact that it was really too small the first time around. My fingers have swollen some too living in a more humid climate now. But of most of my girlfriends, I think I am the only person who has had theirs sized except initially.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks for all the input so far. I believe I'm convinced to get platinum now.

Today, I had just double confirmed that her existing ring size is H 1/2 Australian and currently it fits her perfectly in Australian climate (10-20 degree celcius weather). The problem is we are moving from Australia back to Singapore/Indonesia in a year. As for sizes, do I need to cater for swollen finger due to humid climate? If I cater for swollen finger, should I get 1/4 size bigger or 1/2 size bigger. Mark Morrell even works in 1/8 sizes :)

diamondseeker2006, the standard Sunburst Solitaire shank is 3mm to 3+ mm wide before it tapers and about 2mm wide at the small end of the taper. Mark Morrell sent me a picture of another customer's Sunburst ring which is about 2mm wide and I think it look georgous. Now the width of the ring is decided as well. :)

Thanks and I will keep updating this thread until the ring is completed.

Aaron

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it be possible for your girl to get a plastic ''ring sizing'' set (online?) try it out, and send you the right ring from the bunch? Even faster should be for her to measure the diameter (two better than one) of a ring she is wearing, if she is wearing one on the same finger as the engagement ring will.

This, if she knows what is comming. Measuring rings could also be done by anyone that does have access to such an item (frind?), but...

Besides, the ring can be sized, rght? Approximating by as much as a whole size would not be much of a problem then (sizing 1 size is not) and, after all, wearing a slightly larger ring (about half size) is not much of a problem. Tight ones are...

Just an idea.

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say that my Mark Morrell is quite similar to the Sunburst design...and it''s very dainty in person. It''s still substantial, don''t get me wrong, it''s just not at thick as it looks in photos. And the platinum that Mark uses helps to keep his work looking "liquid" for years to come. I love my "Heartthrob" ring

klr
30.gif
prongs

DiamondLover23

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait to see pictures of your ring!

I recently saw the Solasfera video on GOG''s site and was blown away!!!

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
I just got my MWM ring last weekend, and it has a 2mm band. I have a 5.5 ring size, and I think 2mm looks great. Keep in mind that Mark''s work looks very "big" on his website, but in person it''s really quite delicate.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 1:11:38 PM
Author: WestsideLisa
I just got my MWM ring last weekend, and it has a 2mm band. I have a 5.5 ring size, and I think 2mm looks great. Keep in mind that Mark''s work looks very ''big'' on his website, but in person it''s really quite delicate.

ooo, do we get to see pictures of this MM masterpiece?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh wow..it''s gorgeous...girl, you really need to start your own thread over in SMTR..

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 1:25:17 PM
Author: WestsideLisa
One more
Ooo! Westside, please tell us more about your ring!! it''s beautiful
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes please start a new thread for this beauty!!!
36.gif

aaronx88

Rough_Rock

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
I will try to post something in SMTR later today (that''s the right place to post, isn''t it?). The diamond has an AGS cert, and I''m not exactly sure how to read it...but I''ll try to figure it out for y''all. I think it looks amazing, so please don''t burst my bubble once you see the specs!
1.gif

WestsideLisa

Rough_Rock
I started a new topic for this here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mark-morrell-whiteflash-another-pricescope-success-story.44581/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to go see Westsidelisa''s new thread! But I did want to tell Aaron that you don''t want to take a Mark Morrell stone to be sized by someone else if you can possibly avoid it. So try to get the size right. Maybe add 1/4 of a size for the climate difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results