shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help! 7.08 cts. Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steff

Rough_Rock
Dear Everyone

I got offer one certified diamond described below.
Certified by IGI Bangkok.
March,2006
7.08 cts.
12.66 – 12.74 x 7.43 mm.
I-VVS2 (But it’s brownish I, not yellowish I.) (Equivalent I Diamond)
Fluorescence : None
Polish and Symmetry : Good
Proportions : Very Good (But bad VG)
Table : 57.5 %
Crown Height : 13.5 %
Pavilion Depth : 42% (Too shallow. When face this stone up it shows 8 dark shadow, like Bow-Tie Effect or Single Cut Effect)
Girdle : Very Thin to Medium (Faceted)
Culet : Pointed
Note This stone is type 2A diamond, but already checked by IGI that not HPHT stone.

I got final offer at 24% back from 5 cts. Rapaport ($ 15,048 / ct.). Is that reasonable whole sale prices ? How much should it cost ?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steve if you post the depth percentage that would help. Lets wait until more expert help arrives regarding this monster. Do you like how it looks? Regarding the 8 shadows I wonder if it is some arrow patterning you are seeing in some lights..some diamonds can display this effect ( not saying that this diamond you are considering is a H&A cut) but look at this link and see if the arrows on the diamond are similar to what you are seeing.

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2323719.htm

Some fancy shapes will display a bow tie effect, not really rounds. Check out this page for an example of a bow tie.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Shape/ShapeTips/

Such a huge diamond might behave quite differently to a much smaller one regarding the dark areas possibly, it could also be a fish eye you are seeing etc - you can read up on these under knowledge but I am only speculating at what this could be....anyway I hope this gets you started and if you decide to buy it an independant appraisal would be very advisable to make sure this diamond checks out. Make sure that very thin girdle isn't a durability problem. Best of luck and we would love to see pics if you get it! Also I don't know about getting a diamond for a wholesale price or what a fair price would be for such a diamond.

Here is the knowledge link for you. http://diamonds.pricescope.com/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2006 5:33:48 AM
Author:Steve SC

Dear Everyone

I got offer one certified diamond described below.
Certified by IGI Bangkok.
March,2006
7.08 cts.
12.66 – 12.74 x 7.43 mm. (58.7% depth, for what that matters)

I-VVS2 (But it’s brownish I, not yellowish I.) (Equivalent I Diamond) Not a bad thing... I would think, IMO. It is even harder for me to catch a ''tint'' on these)

Fluorescence : None
Polish and Symmetry : Good
Proportions : Very Good (But bad VG) Is this by IGI''s grading (is there one?) or what?
Table : 57.5 %
Crown Height : 13.5 %
Pavilion Depth : 42% (Too shallow. When face this stone up it shows 8 dark shadow, like Bow-Tie Effect or Single Cut Effect) aren''t those the arrows everyone pays for these days? ''Thought so... (short lower girdle facets might make them larger than average... seeing is believing though)

Girdle : Very Thin to Medium (Faceted) Would like to see how extensive the ''very thin'' part is, but on a large diamond that ''very thin'' is wider than in absolute terms than it would be on a 1 carat diamond... so, even less worry. Besides issues like this are what appraisals are meant for to clarify!
2.gif

Culet : Pointed

Note This stone is type 2A diamond, but already checked by IGI that not HPHT stone.

I do not know how IGI Bangkok grades diamonds. Garry had some nice words to say about IGI in general, but he didn''t get into that much detail. It may be worth looking into a confirmation of the grading (appraisal?) for a large diamond like this, IMO. After all, if one labeled this stone J/VS2 instead of I/VVS2 the ''good deal'' status of the price may change. I do not know if there is a good chance for this or not, but it would be one question I would ask.

I wonder if the crown height and pavilion depth are accurate as given... because those percentages would suggest an extremely thick girdle, while the lab report indicates thin. Sure enough, I did jump into DiamCalc to see what something like this might look like, and got a bit of darkness under the table (not a deadly sin in my book though)... but also, the numbers do not add up. More so, if I take for good the ''very thin to medium'' girdle notation instead of adding up the crown, pavilion and total depth percentages... the picture improves (either by allowing a steeper crown, or deeper pavilion or both) - not that it was so bad to begin with.

What your stats do not tell me and I would consider important is the optical symmetry (or pattern) of the stone - different than the symmetry grade there. Since the note says that the stone displays ''bow tie or single cut effect'' I would expect some pattern... which IMO, would make it look nicer even if the proportions are a hair away from ideal. Honestly, I am not sure what you mean by ''single cut effect'' (creative brillianteering? That may not be a bad thing in everyone''s opinion).
34.gif

Any chance you may get an IdealScope or ASET image of this? (if it is not possible to take a picture with that, verbal description goes some distance too).

My 2c

Hope some of this makes sense. I am basically arguing that the diamond is worth getting an expert opinion about. I am no expert and can''t see the stone...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ana how did you calculate the depth measurement on that please? I remember seeing the formula somewhere and can''t find it. I would like to know how to do it!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2006 7:17:25 AM
Author: Lorelei

Ana how did you calculate the depth measurement
From the measurements given for the stone (12.66 – 12.74 x 7.43 mm), depth % = depth in mm / shorter diameter in mm. (i.e. 7.43/12.66)
38.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldnt expect 24% back from RAP retail on any decent well cut diamond these days nor trust an IGI report not even for toilet paper.
the price come out over 100k for that price it better have an AGS cert in my book.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ana
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results