shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you? Could you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I've happened upon a find of sorts...ala ladykemma
2.gif
...and would like your opinion. I was in an antique store here in town and found a ring. The owner told me the story behind it. It originally had a 1.5(approx)asscher stone with a pave halo. The family came upon hard times and the lady who owned it sold it. Her husband had passed on a year earlier. Her son heard what she did and went to buy back the ring. He didn't have enough money so the jeweler made him a deal. He sold him back the setting with a cz center. His mother was overjoyed and never knew it wasn't the original stone(or so she claimed. We may never know). The ring was purchased along with her estate.
My question is....Would you buy it and wear it til you could one day(far far away) replace the center with a genuine diamond(or perhaps a sapphire). Could you live with yourself knowing the stone isn't real. Does the story more than make up for the fake center. What do ya'll think?
BTW-The price is great.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sure why not! if it''s a great steal and you love the setting, then get it and put your own stone in it later. i love old pieces with history like that.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t see anything wrong with wearing a cz, especially if you love the setting. You can always get a new center stone...and how fun will that be picking out a stone
16.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
absolutely.
if you love the setting and are getting a great deal on it, do it!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input guys. The great part is I have an old piece I was looking to trade in and the shop is willing to take it on trade so it''ll cost me even less than I anticipated. Of course now I''ll be without a china cabinet if I trade mine so.....

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d absolutely get it and obsess for months about finding just the right stone. There are cool step cut gems ... ya''d just need to look for a certain size & jump on it when you find it.

1. wear it as is
2. search for gemstone
3. set gemstone ... wear for a while
4. save for Asscher!
5. search for Asscher!
6. set Asscher
7. design new pendent or RHR for gem
8. keep Cz as a memento of the story
9. the end

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I remember your ''straw ering'' SDL.
2.gif
I''m a sucker for a good story behind something. I think I may go for it. I''ll probably never be able to save up for an asscher but hey, I''ll have a great story on my finger. I recently put my ering aside. It was one of those invisible settings that is getting loose. I then went to a .20ct stone that is just invisible on my hand. I just can''t get myself to mentally wear a fakey. The white gold is real as is the pave'' so maybe......
20.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
An aquamarine could be STUNNING ... Cherrypicked gets some juicy step cut gemstones ... I just love love love love love me some stepcuts. I''m all about angles.
30.gif
(though big fat cushion/omc facets seduce
2.gif
)

Wear it as is, see how ya feel ... maybe you''ll crave JUICE! There''s still a 2ct cushion sapphire e-ring I think about sometimes ... back, naughty urges, get back. URGES, en garde!!
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go for it in a heartbeat. It''s a great story, sounds like a great ring, and if you love that setting, I would totally jump on it and replace the stone when I could.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 6:16:35 PM
Author: decodelighted
An aquamarine could be STUNNING ... Cherrypicked gets some juicy step cut gemstones ... I just love love love love love me some stepcuts. I''m all about angles.
30.gif
(though big fat cushion/omc facets seduce
2.gif
)

Wear it as is, see how ya feel ... maybe you''ll crave JUICE! There''s still a 2ct cushion sapphire e-ring I think about sometimes ... back, naughty urges, get back. URGES, en garde!!
31.gif
OOHHHH. You had me at aquamarine.
2.gif
Sounds divine.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I love the history angle on it! If you can get a good deal, and the setting is in good shape, I would go for it!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
atta girl!

i would replace the center with an aquamarine, i think. i hate czs.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm? Hmmm? Saw this poking around at Precision Gem when ILoveSparkles mentioned that vendor on another thread.

Green Tourmaline - 1.30 ct. This is a unique looking stone. There are a few shades of green and blue/green in it, and each flash looks a bit different. An easy to set square emerald design. Color 4, Clarity 5

$163

greenprecisiongem.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or ....

Gem 364 - Golden Tourmaline - 2.02 ct. A bright square cut. This design always looks good and has an interesting flash. Color 4, Clarity 4

$172

p.s (can you tell American Idol is over & my only jewelry project is out of my hands right now???)

goldtourmaline.jpg

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I would get it and wear it or replace it, it''s sounds great amd i have no problem with CZs, I would love an antique ring!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the story is cool. Just get it, and see what appeals to you. If the price is great and the setting is of good quality, it is worth it. Then you have all the options!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is SUCH a great story it def. makes the CZ more valuable IMHO. Of course a sapphire would be a great alternative as well. I love halo gemstone rings! So beautiful. Post pics please
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure if I would, but I definitely could! I think it has a great story and colored stone (I am partial to a deep aqua or a sapphire). Will you be wearing this in place of your ering?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for a gorgeous rhr with a gorgeous colored stone, aqua, or even a pink tourmaline!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 9:20:19 PM
Author: ladykemma
atta girl!

i would replace the center with an aquamarine, i think. i hate czs.
Ladyk......
emnote.gif
You're the meaning in my life....You're my inspiration....
emnote.gif

Can't remember who sings that. I know it's from the '80s.
9.gif

Wow, pink, blue, green, etc.....the choices are endless. I took another look today. The CZ is a late 70's early 80's one. Kinda scratched up. A jeweler can replace it with a more up to date one. I think I'll have him show me some other options also. The possibilities are endless. Still trying to make myself get rid of my old china cabinet though.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results