shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Montrealers (and anyone else from Qc) please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Allycat has been giving me a bit on advice, and I was wondering about other people''s experiences too.

My boyfriend has a 2000$ CA budget (tax included). After trying a ton of rings on, I decided that I would love to have is an ideal cut eyeclean .50-ish ct RB in a WG tiffany style four-prongs setting. I know we could get this online, but if anything happened to the stone or ring it would be quite the hassle to get it fixed because we''d have to send it back across the border. On the other hand, after visiting a few stores together over Spring Break, I doubt very much that we could get the same quality and prices locally...
15.gif

Can you tell me about your ring buying experiences? Do you have any advice, and places you recommend visiting?

I''d love to hear from other non-American customers to and get there point of view! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
35.gif

bichon

Rough_Rock
Hi there, anchor31! I am actually from Mtl as well although my fiance lives in Toronto. The engagement was a surprise so I was not involved in the buying process (in fact, I was completely clueless about diamonds at that time ... but how quickly I became diamond obsessed after discovering PS!) You are correct in that it is difficult to get a nice ring - like H&A calibre - at competitive prices locally.

My stone, as well as my future SIL''s stone, was purchased in Toronto. Have you considered taking a trip down there? If you are looking for an independent jeweler, you may have better luck in TO without going down south of the border. I am sure there are a number of Torontonians on PS who can suggest some reputable jewelers who can search for stones meeting your criteria and budget. Also, you may want to look at www.diamondexchange.ca as a reference for pricing. I believe you can order from them on-line or visit them in person if you would like to view the stone. They are located in downtown TO and carry GIA, AGS, and other certified H&A diamonds. I have no idea how their pricing compares to the stores you have visited but it''s worth a try. Of course, they need to charge you the 6% excise tax and 7% GST but I think you only pay PST if you''re from Ontario (hence, you may be "saving" on the Qc PST).

If you absolutely want to buy from Montreal, have you tried Creations Paul? Again, I don''t know too much about this place except that a lot of Montrealers buy their rings from here. They are located on St-Laurent.

If you are looking for an ideal cut, please ensure that you will get the appropriate certificate (GIA, AGS, etc.) when purchasing the stone. Trust me, I''ve been to a lot of local jewelers who claim to sell "ideal cuts" that looked pretty crappy to me. Of course, since you are PS-educated, I am sure you know better
1.gif
!

Good luck!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much! Your input is very appreciated!!
35.gif

I''ll check out your recommendations. It seems there would be no way for us to escape from taxes, but local taxes (even with Quebec PST) are not as bad as import taxes. However, the ring prices might balance that out, which is why we''re still on the look-out for the best option.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bichon! I checked out diamond exchange and it''s an interesting option! Apparently, Canadian residents must add 6% Excise Tax and 7% GST. Ontario Residents add an additional 8% PST. So, at least we''d be saving on that additional 8% PST.

I''ve sent a request asking about a couple of stones and I''ll talk to my boyfriend about it. If anyone else has other suggestion, they''re very welcome!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anchor,

I am also Canadian but living in the US. I think that Ally''s situation is very unique. I don''t think that a simple tiffany solitaire, if done right, will give you very many problems. In fact, I''ve had my 3-sided-pave ring for over 1 year and have never had a problem with it. I have it checked every 6 months before i get it professionally cleaned and it always has been perfect, no lose stones and there are 100 on my ring.

So, if you see that you can''t find what you are looking for in Montreal or the rest of Canada, don''t hesitate to look at some of the online vendors. My favorite will always be Bill Pearlman at Pearlman''s Jewelers because I had a phenomenal experience with him. I would recommend him without hesitation.

As for repairs; it is possible to find a trusted jeweler in Montreal or anywhere in the world. Just do your homework!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock

Anchor: Did you visit the creation Paul H yet? I went there and I liked the designs a lot. I don't think of the hassle of sending the ring back and forth for repairs (it's a consideration) but with simple rings not as much. Have you looked at any of the other addresses I've givien you? What did you think of their inventory?

Forlove of diamonds: Anchor's boyfriend was concerned about the 25-27% tax at the border, that makes the price difference not so great, and so much a situation like mine. For example, my sister's boyfriend, bought a 1 carat diamond (GIA F colour VS1 from one of the addresses I gave to anchor fo 9800 + tax, 11385 $ Canadian). So randomly, a F VS2 expert selection from WF is $7525 so to Canadian funds $8744, with the lower taxes at 25% is $10990, so about $400 savings. I think for a smaller diamond, the savings will total less then that

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Ally - I haven''t had the opportunity to check them out yet as I am stuck in Rimouski until the 29th
14.gif
, but I will as soon as I can. I just want to look at every option there is, online and not, and I figured it wouldn''t hurt to ask.
28.gif
When we went shopping in February, one of the stores we checked out had a 0.5 ct H-SI1 uncerted "good" cut for $1800 CAD. They quoted us 300$ for the setting in 14k WG, so it went up to $2415 CAD, which is out of his budget by 400$ (and it is a big deal for us) and it wasn''t even a nicely cut stone...
38.gif
That really scared me from buying locally, but having heard your experience I definitely want to check out the prices at the places you recommended. So thanks!

So far I''ve found this:

With a US Pricescope vendor, I could get a 0.51ct H&A (0.9 on the HCA) I-SI1 in a 14k WG setting for about $1932 CAD import taxes included.

With diamond exchange Toronto, I could get a 0.50ct H&A (1.3 on the HCA) J-VS2 in a 18k WG setting for about $1969 CAD local taxes included.

Of course, between the two I would pick the first one. So, knowing what I can get online for his budget, we''ll go back to look locally and we''ll be able to take a decision from there.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Anchor, the prices are pretty comparable with the diamond excahnge in toronto and the WF. So curiosity, which store gave you the H SI1, "good cut" for that price? Was it the maul store like Lavigeur? Although that''s doubtful because Lavigeur/elinor etc., have never mentioned "cut" to me, as they tend to focus on colour, clarity.

Is the diamond exchange place online? I''ve heard of that place from people before, although I''m not sure exactly what they are. So when all is said and done, what is your boyfriend most comfortable/leaning toward? Online or B&M? I think both options have their pluses and minuses, but I''ve tended to see that guys are more comfortable with the B&M. This time around my boy is already about 90% set on a diamond locally, with a local setting too. Which is fine with me...as long as it''s pretty
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Anchor, try USAcerteddiamonds.com. They are in toronto. Martin is a stand up guy who sold me my center stone (superbcert) He sold Jazmine her marquise as well (if I haven''t just had a brain you know what). He''s a sweet guy too.

shay

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
I live in Toronto. I also used USACerted (Martin) to buy a SuperbCert. Worth checking out. Don''t be fooled by the slightly cheesy website.

Z.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 3:44:20 PM
Author: allycat0303
Anchor, the prices are pretty comparable with the diamond excahnge in toronto and the WF.
Yes, they are, but as tight as J''s budget is, even saving 40$ is good, and I''d honestly prefer an I to a J.

So curiosity, which store gave you the H SI1, ''good cut'' for that price? Was it the maul store like Lavigeur? Although that''s doubtful because Lavigeur/elinor etc., have never mentioned ''cut'' to me, as they tend to focus on colour, clarity.
It was a maul store, but I don''t remember the name. They didn''t have a cert, just a catalog of stone with size, shape, cut, colour, clarity. The lady was awfully snotty at me because I wanted a .50ct, apparently "that''s too big and expensive".
20.gif
I also want a fairly thin setting, and she said they can''t set stones "as big as 50 points" in a setting thinner than 3mm because it''d be too risky. Hmmm... right.

We did visit a Lavigueur, and we were both pleasantly surprised with the man we talked to. He really knew his stuff, warned us that the "knowledge" most B&M people offer wasn''t always accurate and was pleased to know I''d read on diamonds. He actually really helped me to educate my boyfriend on the importance of cut. It was great and a lot of fun to actually talk to someone about all this! I wish we could have bought from him, but as I''m sure you know, their stuff is really expensive, and not that great quality.

Is the diamond exchange place online? I''ve heard of that place from people before, although I''m not sure exactly what they are.
Diamond Exchange Toronto are both online and B&M. Bichon recommended it to me in a previous post. They have nice stones, I just wish they had H&A H or I SI1''s in the size range I''m looking for.

So when all is said and done, what is your boyfriend most comfortable/leaning toward? Online or B&M? I think both options have their pluses and minuses, but I''ve tended to see that guys are more comfortable with the B&M. This time around my boy is already about 90% set on a diamond locally, with a local setting too. Which is fine with me...as long as it''s pretty
2.gif

He''d probably prefer buying it in a B&M, I suppose. I''m pretty sure we''ll go shopping again when I''ll be back home. I know he really wants to give me a diamond I will adore and still be in complete awe with it in 50+ years, so if the best way to go to get that with his budget is to go online, I think he''ll agree. We really prefer having this kind of conversation face to face, and I know he hasn''t saved up everything he needs yet (unless he''s being very sneaky, which I doubt), so we''ll have to talk about this when we''ll see each other.
Thank you Shay! I did check them out, but their .50ct range stones are all G-VS2 and don''t fit our budget!
39.gif

bichon

Rough_Rock
anchor31 - Definitely consider all options although most likely, price-wise, you will do best with an on-line purchase from the US. Allycat is correct (hi there Allycat - nice to know there''s another Mtler on this board ... maybe one day, there will be enough of us to meet!) about mall stores focusing more on colour and clarity. It''s sad but some of these sale people know absolutely nothing about cut. And I mean *nothing*.

I''m glad to hear that diamondexchange is a consideration. Let us know of your experience with them. Also, I am guessing that you may be paying a slight premium for a Cdn diamond w/ the Ice branding. In the end, do what makes you and your boyfriend feel comfortable and fits your budget without compromising on cut.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, Bichon.
35.gif

As a matter of fact, I know Radiant Lover is a Montrealer too. That makes us four, I suppose... Well, as I told Ally, I''m not sure I''m going to get a job in Montreal this summer (I actually live about an hour north from the city), but I''ll be going to school and living there in September. It''d be really cool if we could all meet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results