shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on Ideal Scope Picture

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a notice from Whiteflash that my OEC is here this morning at my local Fedex station. Guess I won't be able to concentrate much at work today.

I dropped by my local jeweller yesterday evening to look for settings and POW! I saw an OEC in an antique setting! It was a 1.28 J VVS OEC with a very visible culet set in a platinum prong mounting with 3 small channel set rounds down each shoulder. It was also very finely milgrained. Price? $9500! Isn't that too expensive? The J was also very warm (obviously yellowish). Are OECs in J colours supposed to be that yellow or do you think it is just that stone? I hope my 0.88ct J OEC will not be that warm. I loved the funky facets and initially thought it was an old mine cut because the prongs made it look squarish.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Ooh...can''t you sneak away from work to get to the Fed Ex station? I haven''t commented so far b/c I know next to nothing about OECs, but I do have a .51ct and I love it! I''m excited for you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS,
Have you posted yours here before?

Okay, so I picked it up this morning, sneaking quietly out of the office after getting a bit of work done. First impressions? I was stunned by how white it is. I would never have guessed a J. It also reflected lots of chunky blues and greens in indirect sunlight. It's not a bright sunny day today, perhaps a slight overcast.

The diamond shows a hint of warmth next to my E emerald cut in the office, but is a pleasing colour. My E is icy white, the J is "soft" white. It seems that the best view for this puppy is from far away (at least 1 foot away), even in fluorescent lighting. Nice large blocks of golds, greens, blues shouting at me. The VS1 is as clean as can be.

I am dying over the side close up view.
30.gif
The high crown, huge facets... What "bothers" me is the close-up view from top down a few inches away. The culet is kinda small for my taste but I can live with it. It's the table. I think it is a smidge too large and when I look straight down the table (up close), I can see the blocky "flower" pattern. Am I making sense? I suppose in the modern RB, I would be seeing arrows instead. The flower pattern is pretty and I like it but I wish it were smaller so I can see the chunkiness of the crown facets. Am I just being silly because I can see this organized symmetrical pattern way up close from the top down? Everything else about this J is a winner. If I move just an inch or two further away, I don't see it, all I see are blocks of colours in my eyes. Is this the "head obstruction" everyone is talking about here in RBs?

At the same time, I don't want to part with this OEC because well cut OECs aren't a dime a dozen either. I'd like opinions and comments even from non-experts here at Pricescope. In the meantime, I've been scouting as many blown-up pictures of OECs of various sizes to compare the looks all over the WWW. There are tons out there that are terrible and only a few that are drop dead gorgeous (in my humble, unexpert opinion).

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:42:15 PM
Author: Chrono
LS,
Have you posted yours here before?
Check out the Under 1 ct. thread and mine is on the last page. I don''t know anything about the cut (I bought it second-hand for a STEAL), but I like the way it looks. It originally was in a vintage repro setting, but I slapped an aqua into the old setting and had Quest make me a yellow gold x-prong. I might have them put it into a halo, though, eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results