shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on Ideal Scope Picture

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This the EGL cert of the first Old European Cut diamond.

0.88 J VS1 OEC.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the actual picture of the 0.88ct J VS1 OEC.

DI40X_EGLUS30522801D.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the IS picture of the above OEC.

IS_EGLUS30522801D.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lastly, this is the Sarin report of the same OEC.

SARIN_EGLUS30522801D.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moving on to the next diamond: 0.79ct K VS2 OEC.

European Cut 0.79 K VS2 EGL.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a magnified picture of the smaller OEC.

DI40X_EGLUS32788601D.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Ideal Scope picture of the second OEC.

IS_EGLUS32788601D.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the last picture, I promise, the Sarin report of the second OEC.

SARIN_EGLUS327788601D.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You wanted pictures? You've got pictures!
11.gif

Please tell me how do I read this the IS? They both look quite nice for older stones, although I must admit I have a slight preference for the 0.88ct J VS1. Is it just me or does the 0.88ct J VS1 facets look bigger while the 0.79ct K VS2 have a more chaotic faceting pattern? I also just noticed that the 0.88ct is a transition cut and the 0.79 is an OEC according to the cert!

It looks like the Sarin is also telling me that the EGL certs a little off. This is the "newer" comparison stats:

Weight: 0.88 0.79
Diameter 6.05 mm 5.73 mm
Depth 63% 64.8%
Pav Depth 41.2% 43.2%
Pav Angle 39.7% 42.1%
Crown H 18.3% 16.3%
Crn Angle 38.5% 35.5%
Table 54.3% 54.8%
Culet Large Large
Girdle Thin-Thk Med-Thk
S/U Ratio 39:61 49:51
Proportion 6 4

I don't understand what some of the stats mean. Most of the numbers so seem quite close yet the looks are somewhat different. I hope someone here on PS will be able to explain these terms and what they mean to me.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I like the second one. It just looks brighter to me for some reason. I''m not much help, sorry.

shay

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmm
The first one is closer to other IS images of them iv seen and the second looks like it might be brighter but they arent about brightness they are about fire.
Have them view them in different light conditions and tell you which had better broadflash fire.
Im leaning towards the first one will win the contest.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I talked to Bob and here are some of the things we discussed:

1. Fire: Both have lots of fire, but J is the winner.
2. Colour: The J is obviously whiter, the K has a greenish tinit.
3. Chunky Facets: Both have the OEC look.
4. The 3 people at WF who saw both picked the J over the K citing it as the prettier stone.

Here's my other questions:
1. Would the green tint bother most people? It sounds like a very unique characteristic.
2. I am looking for an OEC. While the J is still a old stone (100 years old, I think), it is rated as a transition cut instead of an OEC. Should I keep looking for an OEC or should I consider the J? Bob said it looks very OECish.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Is there a big difference in the price?

Here''s what you should do. Buy the .88. Send it to ME. In return, I''ll write you a very nice thank-you note.

Seriously, I''m in love with that stone. It''s gorgeous!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm well it sounds like the J is the most popular visually and returns the most fire and appears the whitest...i would get that one hands down over the K based on what the people who have seen it have said. or keep looking til you find something that has all of the above but is a true old cut. good luck!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ooops, we were posting at the same time.

If everybody who''s seen them in person picked the J, that would influence me.

Is there anything about the J that you don''t like, besides that they''re calling it a transition rather than an OEC? It looks very OEClike to me. Probably some people would call it an OEC.

What is it about "OEC" that attracts you? The age? The look? The name?

As for the greenish K, that sounds like a plus to me--an interesting color. But I think the J looks like a prettier cut.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 hands down... because... of the better contrast in the IS.
1.gif
And nicer (more symmetrical) shape.. larger size and better color. Does it need more arguments? It has a higher crown than a modern brilliant... so probably more of the expected OEC looks, although both are textbook models as far as I am concerned.

And I might need a refresher about what indicates brilliance in Ideal Scope pictures, because these two seem very close in that department.

Just one vote, of course.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
I am so glad I caught you posting because I'd like your opinion since you have both a transition cut and an OEC. Can you see the difference in cut? How similar or dissimilar are the faceting? I want an OEC because I love large facets and fire. This is the reason why I'll pass up a RB any day over an EC or other step cut. I have to admit the age and name is rather romantic too. It just seems more romantic to say "I have an OEC" instead of "I have a Transition cut", but I'd rather get a pretty looking stone than one with just the OEC name. The price difference is $300.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Before I read what you and WF said, just looking at the picts, I honestly prefered the K because I thought it had a chunkier, more random look. I felt the J looked too "symmetrical" for my ideal OEC. Now that I''m reading the the J is technically a transitional I understand my reaction.

However...that said, if you and WF and everyone else (especially you!) prefer the J, I''d go for it. It doesn''t look like a modern stone, and is certainly gorgeous, so if you love it makes no sense to go for the K just because the J has the transitional name.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the J, looks great to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 1:38:52 PM
Author: Hest88
Before I read what you and WF said, just looking at the picts, I honestly prefered the K because I thought it had a chunkier, more random look. I felt the J looked too ''symmetrical'' for my ideal OEC. Now that I''m reading the the J is technically a transitional I understand my reaction.

However...that said, if you and WF and everyone else (especially you!) prefer the J, I''d go for it. It doesn''t look like a modern stone, and is certainly gorgeous, so if you love it makes no sense to go for the K just because the J has the transitional name.
This is also one of the things I''ve wondered about. I don''t want a look that is too organized but yet not too chaotic either. So is a good OEC supposed to have a more random look?

Hest,
Does that mean the J doesn''t quite look like an OEC (to you)?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Ha! This thread made me go take both my rings out of their boxes (not that it takes much to make me do that--and okay, I admit it, I was already wearing the OEC).

The J actually looks a lot like my OEC. Maybe mine is really a transition too? I don''t think there''s a firm line between OEC and transition, anyway. Think about the name, "transition"--it''s in between two things. If the J is a transition, it''s well over on the OEC side of the transition to RB.

My transition is well over on the RB side of the transition between the two cuts. It basically looks like a RB with fat arrow shafts. Help me out here, Ana (or somebody)--what are those facets called?

I far prefer the cut on my OEC, but that could be because my transition just isn''t all that well cut. It has a big table and it leaks a lot under the table and around the edges. I just spent some time peering at both stones with the ideal scope, and the IS image of the J you''re considering looks a lot like the image of my OEC--or even nicer. I bet it''s heavenly in person.

I wouldn''t worry about the J looking too symmetrical and organized in person. If it''s anything like my OEC--and I bet it is--it will give off lots of chunky flashes in person, and you''ll have to look hard and tilt it just so to get it to look as organized as it does in the pictures.

I can see the appeal of the K''s blocky, squarish, mosaic flashes. But I like the contrast better on the J. It looks like my OEC''s prettier little sister. (Sorry, OEC! You''re pretty too--and you have such a warm heart.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also chrono, i don''t think anyone would slap your hand if you got the J and called it an OEC, it definitely looks like one to my unexperienced eye, esp when just compared quickly to the K.

i love OECs! can''t wait to see what you decide.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
PS: I should also say, my OEC has fire, fire, FIRE!!! I bet you a 2 pointer the J will too.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2006 1:46:08 PM
Author: Chrono

So is a good OEC supposed to have a more random look?

As far as I know... the more symmetrical are higher priced. But to me it is a matter of taste. hands down - like either just as much.

It may be that older stones are more random, but one can find very old diamonds cut with impressively orderly patterns (=optical symmetry). Especially the larger ones - not because I am a snob (well... you know by now), but because technology limits what can be done with the smallest diamonds too.

My 2c

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!
23.gif
Take a look at that 0.88ct J VS1 OEC. Look at those huge facets! I think I have to buy this one.

I must state publicly that Bob Hoskins is the God of Patience. I've been calling him everyday, usually a few times a day to bug him with questions and requests and he has always been not only prompt, but extremely polite and patient.

EGLUS30522801D.jpg

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/13/2006 2:45:20 PM
I must state publicly that Bob Hoskins is the God of Patience. I''ve been calling him everyday, usually a few times a day to bug him with questions and requests and he has always been not only prompt, but extremely polite and patient.

Heh, I know the feeling, for me the tool of choice was e-mail.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The deed is done.
2.gif
I''ve plunked down my cold hard plastic and the OEC will be in my grubby oily hands tomorrow. I hope it''s a keeper.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2006 2:00:50 PM
Author: glitterata

My transition is well over on the RB side of the transition between the two cuts. It basically looks like a RB with fat arrow shafts. Help me out here, Ana (or somebody)--what are those facets called?
lower girdle facets (lgf)
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 11:52:17 AM
The deed is done.
2.gif
I''ve plunked down my cold hard plastic and the OEC will be in my grubby oily hands tomorrow. I hope it''s a keeper.
congratulations chrono!
36.gif

please (please) post pics of it when you get it!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
This is so exciting. I love it when somebody here gets a new sparkly for us to oooh and aahhh over. Please be sure and post pics.

shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results