shape
carat
color
clarity

How am I doing on the diamond trail?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brum

Rough_Rock

Please help, I’m very close to buying the diamond for my hopefully-fiancée-to-be.

My budget is around the $2500, though may be able to squeeze $3000 at a push and I’m looking for something between 60-70 points

From the info that I’ve soaked up so far, this is my present view (though it does change)

1.) Cut is nine tenths of the law- round brilliants are the clear cut choice for light-return
2.) D is expensive, but white is desirable, therefore F is the cheaper “colourless” alternative.
3.) VS1-SI1- Eye clean-if its eye clean then to me, its invisible.
4.) Think girdles are a waste of money.
5.) If I’m to buy a diamond online, technical data such as the Brilliancescope & the Idealscope are far more important to me than average angles and dimensions etc. A good dealer will back any diamond up with his professional eyeball, but this apart; surely something that measures light performance is the only true alternative?
6.) Reputable dealer with good warranty and trade-in policy.

Trouble is, put all this together, add my present location-Asia, and I have really limited myself to a few jewelers!

Having read this, can anyone kindly offer me some advice?

Cheers.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
What shape diamond will you be purchasing?

brum

Rough_Rock
round brilliant!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Okay, with a very well cut round, you can definetly go down in clarity. You can consider a very nice, completely eye-clean diamond. I would not go higher than that. In your case, a VS is kind of a waste of money, IMO. Also, depending on how much your eyes can differentiate colors, you can go with anything from a G to a J (or lower if you wanted). You can of course go higher, but well cut rounds will face up very white. I think an H or an I would be about perfect, especially in the carat weight you are considering. It will be very white!

I wouldn't necessarily discount a diamond with a thin girdle, especially with a round. I would stay away from very thin or worse. Of course, medium is the best.

Numbers are important (they work better with rounds), but I like to see pics and IS images better. Have you considered working with Whiteflash or Good Old Gold?

brum

Rough_Rock

Hi Jazmine.

Thanks for your input.

I’m working with GOG at the moment and awaiting a Brilliancescope report from Gemex, though they are taking a long time about it.

Because I rate this report, I am naturally attracted to Superbcert, DBOF and diamonds-Ideal.

WF doesn’t seem to offer the same level of data, so I''ve not really studied their inventory.

Anyone else out there who are data-rich with their diamonds?

Jazmine, you figure that with a small diamond, hi colour grade is not so important? I guess that makes sense. A small puddle of water is going to look less brown than a whole bath tub full of the same!

brum

Rough_Rock
Does anyone feel that my stats could be changed to get a more appropriate E-ring diamond for my money?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 1:18:09 AM
Author: brum
Does anyone feel that my stats could be changed to get a more appropriate E-ring diamond for my money?

Absolutely. Ideal cut I and J colored stones look extremely white (I have an "I" and I can't see a tint, even from the side!) and are a great value, IMO.

Here's a gorgeous stone worth considering:

.728, J VS2 Hearts & Arrows, 1.3 on the HCA, $2155 after PS discount

Drop it in a platinum setting...(http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong-Tiffany-Style-in-Platinum_608.htm)

...and you have a beautiful engagement ring for $2550.00!

brum

Rough_Rock
Thanks EBree,

How big is your diamond?

My budget does not include the setting, which is being made as we speak, here in Singapore.

My lady has tiny slim fingers and I''m having the ring made to fit her Size 4 US knuckle. It may be a tad on the large size, but I''m taking no chances on that.

The ring will be a half bezel of 10 each, 35 pointer melees of high-grade colour, so I''m a little concernd that the ctr stone may need to be of a simliar colour.

I''ve told the jeweler that the stone will be between 60-70 points.

Should I relax on my colour grade?
Shoud I relax adjust my Clarity marker?
Should I not place to much need on the Brilliancescope results?
Should I just relax?! - This whole diamond thing is starting to tire me out!

brum

Rough_Rock
Sorry, forgot to say that the band width is 2.25 mm

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I would go down to J SI2. then use your EYES to see if it is pretty. I have an ideal cut that meets all the numbers, it''s pretty on paper but not in person. And I have several diamonds that are not pretty on paper, but stunning to the eye.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 1:32:15 AM
Author: EBree

Date: 2/14/2006 1:18:09 AM

Absolutely. Ideal cut I and J colored stones look extremely white (I have an ''I'' and I can''t see a tint, even from the side!) and are a great value, IMO.

Here''s a gorgeous stone worth considering:

.728, J VS2 Hearts & Arrows, 1.3 on the HCA, $2155 after PS discount

Drop it in a platinum setting...(http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong-Tiffany-Style-in-Platinum_608.htm)

...and you have a beautiful engagement ring for $2550.00!
wow that is a nce one

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Please ignore this if you''ve already done what I''m suggesting here, but I get the impression that you haven''t.
I would suggest you go to a local jeweler and see with your own eyes what the various colors look like. Without doing this you may settle on, say, an F but later on realize that you can''t even detect any color in an I meaning you wasted some money. Or vice versa. I bought a J for my fiance and it could be a D for all we can tell. Yet I was able to buy a much larger stone for the same money because of our insensitivity.

The point is that you need to be able to tie the letters to something in your mind. Remember that an ideally cut diamond will likely "face up" (or show less) color than an inferior cut.

You may be able to nail down what color you are really looking for.

Mark

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/14/2006 11:58:47 PM
Author: plg_cp
Please ignore this if you've already done what I'm suggesting here, but I get the impression that you haven't.

I would suggest you go to a local jeweler and see with your own eyes what the various colors look like. Without doing this you may settle on, say, an F but later on realize that you can't even detect any color in an I meaning you wasted some money. Or vice versa. I bought a J for my fiance and it could be a D for all we can tell. Yet I was able to buy a much larger stone for the same money because of our insensitivity.

The point is that you need to be able to tie the letters to something in your mind. Remember that an ideally cut diamond will likely 'face up' (or show less) color than an inferior cut.

You may be able to nail down what color you are really looking for.

Mark

Completely agree, good advice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2006 9:33:19 PM
Thanks for the info

I found this.

Tim said it is totaly eye clean.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_72ct_f_si2_h&a.htm
brum
beautifully cut stone.
30.gif
10.gif
36.gif

brum

Rough_Rock
thanks for the comments guys. but my main concern, regarding the go-into-a-jeweler thing is this:- my lady has no idea about this. i may not see the colour in an lower grade, but she may do and i want to give her the best with the budget i have.

i''m now seriously looking at anything eye-clean, but i''m not sure about taking a risk on the colour grade.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 10:59:33 AM
thanks for the comments guys. but my main concern, regarding the go-into-a-jeweler thing is this:- my lady has no idea about this. i may not see the colour in an lower grade, but she may do and i want to give her the best with the budget i have.

i''m now seriously looking at anything eye-clean, but i''m not sure about taking a risk on the colour grade.
brum
so,what''s wrong with the GOG F SI2 stone? if it is eye clean.

brum

Rough_Rock
hi DF.

look at my new thread. yes the stone is right up there, but i''m now looking for sound advice from the ever-vigilant ps panel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results