shape
carat
color
clarity

Split shank rings?

love rocks

Rough_Rock
VAgal/Reena:

I have seen an Asscher in person (~2ct), and it does indeed sparkle - however not the same way as a round.

The one I saw sparkles very much like an emerald cut (pretty intuititive, huh?) - with bold, broad flashes - it was pretty brilliant, and had lots of colorful light, but, of course, not as much as a round shape (or another antique shape, a cushion).

I think Asschers are really very very beautiful, definitely a very unique look, you just have to see one in person to truly appreciate the look.

They're absolutely gorrrgeous! (drool)

reena

Ideal_Rock
VAG, i went to UVA undergrad so i have many friends who live in northern virginia. it's beautiful there. i wouldn't wish i lived in NYC if i were you--i despise it here.
1.gif

good luck with the asscher/daniel k setting hunt.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Blasphemer! LOL. That's b/c you live in nasty NYC now I bet. I'm orig from Suffolk county and I freakin love it here!
1.gif
Queens. eh. NOT so much! LOVE these split shanks. I hate wearing a wedding band and ring really....so I love this look...

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Love Rocks- thank you for your insight on the light reflection of Asschers. I really appreciate it.

My initial instinct was to go w/ a round cut, but once I saw the Asschers posted on PS, I became torn. While I still adore a classic round brilliant, there is just something that makes me want an Asscher cut soooo bad.

I will hopefully get to go look at some A's soon. I called a local jeweler and he said that he has some in and that I could come take a look if I liked. I wonder if he'd let me see it outside?
2.gif

Mine would be WAY under a 2ct...probably looking at .75 or slightly bigger. Do you think an Asscher would look funny not being a full ct?

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Reena- I love UVA!!! Its so pretty out there.

Small world, isn't it?! I guess NYC would be quite a change from Charlottesville.
9.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
i just adore charlottesville.

mmm you're right, i do live right in the city. had to walk to work today because the subway flooded. got stuck in a bomb scare last week. paid $60 for a one-way cab ride from jfk yesterday.

i'm SO over it.

2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Oh that sucks. I dropped hubby off at the e today. He calls me ten minutes later...telling me his pants are soaking wet and he had to walk to the 7 train bc of the flooding. Poor guy. I can't handle the city. Eh, come out and work in Nassau!

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah i take the c and it was like a sauna of human body heat down there. waited 20m for a train, which was sardine-packed with sweaty commuters. couldn't bring myself to get in so we walked the 35 blocks in the rain. so let me tell you, i'm looking GOOD today. uh huh. my hair's not too frizzy or anything.
14.gif

Moreeveryday

Rough_Rock
Here is some pictures of the ring I just gave to my fiancee. I had it custom designed and didn't know it was a split-shank but I suppose it is. I also don't know what to do for a wedding band but I'm thinking.
http://pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=19049

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
That ring is so pretty! Do you have any hand shots yet?

slgbug1

Rough_Rock
I LOVE the Daniel K ring! I thought for sure I wanted a round solitaire in a chunky setting--but that ring makes me re-think it!

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
The appraisal for the one I just bought says it's a split shank. Pics are here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heres-the-one-that-picked-up.19135/

jenniferdukedodd

Rough_Rock
HI, I'm new here, and I thought I'd begin by replying to the question about Asscher cuts since I have one. I am biased, because it is my favorite cut! Mine has a lot of scintillation, though it's a slightly different scintillation than a round brilliant (and perhaps lesser). Still, it sparkles a lot, has really good fire and even brilliance. I love it! Personally, I think Asschers have more scintillation than emerald cuts (my 2nd favorite), but I may be looking at them through rose-colored glasses. I traded in my emerald cut for this Asscher and I am thrilled with it.

To be fair, I should say that mine is not a branded Asscher, so I guess I should call it a square step-cut. Mine has a larger table and shallower crown than Asschers, but it is a knockout stone none-the-less. I searched every dealer in the Gem & Jewelry Show in Houston a couple of years ago, and only a few had what I wanted or even knew what an Asscher was. I was surprised by that. Anyway, the one I finally went with was larger than I thought I could get (1.70 ct), because the color is around M-N (clarity is VS2). I'm ok with the lower color because it's a very clear faint yellow that is quite attractive. (However, I admit that I would not have gone for this color of diamond if it weren't significantly bigger than I expectd to be able to get.) I even went ahead and set it in platinum with near-colorless side stones and it's wonderful. I get giddy when I look at it, every single time!

Well, I'm happy to be in a place with other people who love to talk about diamonds.

~Jennifer in TX

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a picture of your ring? It does sound lovely with the light tint center stone and bright white on either side!

jenniferdukedodd

Rough_Rock
No, I don't, but I need to get one. I tried scanning it but it's no good. I'll see if my husband can find our digital camera somewhere (we moved a few months ago and I have't seen hide-nor-hair of it).

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Oy vey- Reena, you are sooooo right, that Daniel K is flat out Asscher-gasmic!!!

VAgal, I have an Asscher, it is gorgeous- but as previously mentioned, the step cuts are mesmerizing, you look at the facets and are drawn into them. Another thing to consider at this point is that Asschers hold a lot of their weight in their depth, so you won't get as much per carat bang for your buck, visually. A 2 carat Asscher is approx. 7mm, about the same width as a 1.25-ish round brilliant.

Dammit. Now I want a split shank ring. Thanks a lot, people.

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Mrs Frk- Thank you for all the info on Asschers. Since we don't have a huge budget to work with, I may have to go with a different cut. Maybe an Asscher could be my 10 year anniversary present or something.
2.gif

I won't give up hope yet...maybe he'll surprise me with an Asscher still.

Thanks again!

reena

Ideal_Rock
hi vagal, if you dont go with an asscher what will you get? an EC or a RB might look nice in one of those split-shank settings!

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Reena- I really don't know. Maybe an RB...since we don't have a huge budget to work with, I would really like to get the most bang for our buck. I still haven't given up on the Asscher though. I am just preparing myself in case I go look at some, and can't afford the size I want.

My brother bought his fiancee a radiant cut, and I think hers is gorgeous. So, maybe I will look at some of those too.

I also really love your cushion cut. Its hard to find small ones of those too...but maybe I will luck out.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/16/2004 1:40:00 PM VAgal13 wrote:

I still haven't given up on the Asscher though.

My brother bought his fiancee a radiant cut, and I think hers is gorgeous. So, maybe I will look at some of those too.

----------------

Now... radiants and ecs are not all that different in the size for weight department. Since this is about a square emerald cut, I don;t think that the stones with more desirable proportions are all that much smaller for their weight. Definitely not so compared to other suare diamonds. You just need one with the right cut to make it look ok - even below that carat mark
2.gif

I would be looking at a stone fitting AGA 1A-1B: max 65% deep with a thin-medium girdle and a smaller table (about 60%). That should definitely look pleasing at 80 points or so. Say... G/VS2 ?

While these finer things are not all that common, you should have little trouble locating one, once you decide to give it a try.

On the other hand, Ecs are less expensive than rounds, on average - so you may well end up with a typical deeper stone of slightly more weight and the size and cost you wish rather than the options described above.

Just my 0.2 worth.

Ivy

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/16/2004 1:40:00 PM VAgal13 wrote:

----------------

VAgal13,

We also had a set budget when we decided to get engaged. I "knew" I wanted a full ct., but once I started looking at diamonds, I quickly discovered how important it was to me to have a quality stone, but at the same time hopefully have the look of a 1 ct. I chose a .91 ct F VVS2 radiant from Whiteflash. No one questions if it's a 1 ct. and we saved some money by buying just shy of a full ct. I've attached my links if you'd like see the pics.

Working with Whiteflash was a great experience. Denise is the best. I enjoy wearing my ring everyday and I love what it symbolizes. I'm sure you'll find the perfect stone/ring.

All the best. Lots of luck in your search.

2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
who owns the bezel one, it''s very unique and beautiful? May I ask where you got it?! I was thinking of doing something like that for my radiant.

Hi! I saw your post and I had to reply. I had the exact same reaction when i saw that daniel k. ring. i loved it but all those diamonds on the side were a little over the top for me. i also love the lucere cut much more than the asscher. i think it has more glitter. so my bf (now fiance :)) went over to good old gold and got a custom split shank similar to the daniel k without the side diamonds and with a lucere. it is so beautiful. and it saved him a little money doing it that way! here is the link that my friend posted for me! https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-friends-super-sparkler.38955/ Just another opinion! but really you will love what ever you get!!! :)

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-friends-super-sparkler.38955/

here i tried to post the pic.(i havent done it yet so forgive me if it doesnt work)

erinsringfacetwonder1.jpg

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondlil has an awesomeeeeeee split shank ring, I will see if I can find some pics of it..

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Ok here is a link to where you can see lots of pics to this gorgeous ring ( one of my fav''s for sure!!) but here is one to get you started!

splittyshank.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results