shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
So, awhile back I was asking about black opals for my grandma. Well, my grandpa had decided that we would just head up to L.A. to visit Richard's shop, but we never found the time.

Fast forward to this afternoon, and my grandpa called to say he still wants to get my grandma a stone for her 85th birthday (which is on February 2nd) yet doesn't want to go up to L.A. to see stones.?

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
That is an interesting Auction site with lots of Opal.

LOL, At first I thought the prices were priced on the high side but then I noticed that the link took me to the > $1000 section.

I have seen some of these opal dealers on eBay also.

Now, if you need an opal by Feb 2, IMHO, you don''t have enough time to get one through any auction house.

Joker....

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would Richard Wise's shop do the trick ? There isn't much black opal on the website, but usually that is only the tip of the iceberg in just about any category. It doesn't have to be a requirement for some world class piece either - there should be some choice. Their reputation and the availability of ready-made jewelry may just help with the deadline, if anything.

On the opposite site... well, miners sell opal too and there's no telling how small the world has gotten. However, I usually keep an 'open mind' for potentially unstable opal from unknown sources (and even known ones - the seller may not know either). From this point of view, antique opal pieces that have survived unscathed are probably the safest bet - if anything proves just so.

Among the sellers posting here, there are a couple of interesting pieces posted at Kashmirblue. The fact that the sellers accept the harsh Pricescope environment
2.gif
must be worth something. I a sorry I cannot give better insight...

Speaking of relatively exotic sources, here's some Opal Guys
34.gif
Mostly for browsing fun, because aside a minor non-jewelry purchase, I don't know anything about them. Opal is notoriously hard to photograph because stones change face as they move and the background color changes appearance with light... but this site took care of some of the issue by making small movies and taking up to a dozen pictures of each of the better pieces. Quite impressive. Anyway - I would think their 'big ones' would be great 'eye candy' to anyone (movies included), and do check out the story of the 'Mintabie suite' and what remains of the fantastic lot (on this page).

Hope better info is on its way
1.gif

luvgem

Rough_Rock
Ideal Rock,i also just found this forum and also opalauctions last month...the world is getting smaller but internet takes up so much time to research,dont know how efficent this is but ive got the time...
im also in Aussie but dont think you can get mail service that quick to USA .
ive won several auctions for opals and all have been good,,i did exchange a black opal that had inclusions on the back that wasnt mentioned in listing and they exchanged for another win,so im pleased with their service.
Miners and opal dealers in aussie are straight forward i think as i have been buying opals as hobby for 8 years and if you ask the right question they will answer you ,so dont be afraid to ask lots questions.Im hooked on their no reserve opalauctions just for fun,and i have also purchased opals from ebay but site has too many imitation opals on now...its always best to build repore up with wholesaler of opals so you can exchange and build up good business relationship as i have found opal guys look after you better if your repeat customer,and its more fun.so enjoy your opals..

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help, Everyone! Ana, those sites you provided are great!

Now, I've been in contact with the PS vendors and am considering going that route (obviously I feel safer), but my grandpa is interested in several stones I've found online as well (he's now considering buying a couple of stones instead of just one). So, what do you think of the following stones? What's good/bad about them, and what do I need to ask the vendors about?

NON-AUCTIONS
2.6 cts, Solid, Black (N2), opaque, Brilliant, rolling flashes--Lightning Ridge
2.9 cts, Solid, Black (N2), opaque, Extremely bright, rolling flashes--Lightning Ridge
3.6 cts, Solid, Semi-black (N5), opaque, Very Bright, rolling flashes--Lightning Ridge
10.8 cts, Solid, Semi-black (N5), opaque, Very Bright--Lightning Ridge
3.75 cts, Solid, Black crystal, translucent, Extremely bright, broad rolling flash--Lightning Ridge
1.36 cts, Solid, black crystal, Brilliant--Mintabie

Right now my grandpa is leaning towards the first stone I listed, but we both wish that the orange in the top picture was present in the images that follow on the bottom of the page.

At any rate, please let me know your thoughts and whether there is anything I should know about opals before buying!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the first one is ''sold'' researcher, did you get it?
20.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the first stone. I hope you got one in time!

Btw, my grandmother''s birthday is also tomorrow.
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Yes, we did buy the first stone. I think it will be perfect for a pendant! And, the best part is it will arrive by the 4th (the day we''re celebrating her birthday)!

Because my grandpa likes so many of the black opals, I think he''s going to buy a few more. I don''t think this search of mine will ever end!
37.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations researcher!
will you be able to get pictures? i would love to see this stone!
3.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I will definitely take pictures. My grandma has an AMAZING collection of opals, but unfortunately she doesn''t want me taking pictures of all of them. However, this stone is being shipped to me so I can sneak a few in
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great researcher. I can''t wait to see the pics. I adore opals!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 1:19:52 AM
Author: researcher

my grandpa is interested in several stones I've found online as well (he's now considering buying a couple of stones instead of just one).

Unless you guys want to play with some interesting & relatively inexpensive thing just for the sake of a nice 'hunt' on Ebay, I would always vote for one of the best feasible kind than a handful of not-so-hot-but-cute.

In general, I'm baffled by opal pictures - in the good days, I might hope to see if bad crazing and potch spots are there 50% or so, but there are more bad days than good. The color of the base, intensity of fire, or whether it is directional or consistent... I wouldn't know what to look for to see them in pictures beyond a very wild guess - those I am trying to even 'ignore' mentally before talking with the seller and calling the stones in. For example, the dark 'border' and the slightly distorted pattern of the first stone on the list make me think that the layer of opal over dark base is thinner there, but it could well be a photographic quirk and me wrongly denigrating a great opal.
38.gif

Since not even the type of goods is obvious (to me) from the picture, all I would really want to know about the shop, is how reliable the return policy is. And with this info, sit back, choose among pictures and wait for the package
1.gif

Some things in that shop are quite darn amazing... by pictures and description. No wonder you guys got hooked. Wow!
10.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, K!
When I emailed the vendor I was told the stone has a lot more orange than showed up in the photos. I think it''s going to be a great stone for my grandma. For the setting I think we''ll do a simple yellow gold bezel-type setting. I just hope it all comes together as my grandma is so picky!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 4:03:03 PM
Author: valeria101
Date: 2/1/2006 1:19:52 AM

my grandpa is interested in several stones I''ve found online as well (he''s now considering buying a couple of stones instead of just one).

Unless you guys want to play with some interesting & relatively inexpensive thing just for the sake of a nice ''hunt'' on Ebay, I would always vote for one of the best feasible kind than a handful of not-so-hot-but-cute.

In general, I''m baffled by opal pictures - in the good days, I might hope to see if bad crazing and potch spots are there 50% or so, but there are more bad days than good. The color of the base, intensity of fire, or whether it is directional or consistent... I wouldn''t know what to look for to see them in pictures beyond a very wild guess - those I am trying to even ''ignore'' mentally before talking with the seller and calling the stones in. For example, the dark ''border'' and the slightly distorted pattern of the first stone on the list make me think that the layer of opal over dark base is thinner there, but it could well be a photographic quirk and me wrongly denigrating a great opal.
38.gif

Since not even the type of goods is obvious (to me) from the picture, all I would really want to know about the shop, is how reliable the return policy is. And with this info, sit back, choose among pictures and wait for the package
1.gif

Some things in that shop are quite darn amazing... by pictures and description. No wonder you guys got hooked. Wow!
10.gif

According to the vendor, the layer of opal is great, but the stone is a little on the bummy side (although not overly so). That may be what you''re seeing. I told the vendor I''m fine with the stone being slightly bummy as my grandma is a bit bummy too
11.gif
9.gif

As for the return policy, they said we can return the stone at no cost to us other than shipping. On their website they talk about restocking fees and being given credit only in some cases, but when I emailed them they said they would give us our money back if we were not satisfied. Also, the fact that I paid through PayPal makes me feel even better about the purchase.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 4:14:34 PM

According to the vendor, the layer of opal is great, but the stone is a little on the bummy side (although not overly so).

That would make sense. Even thought ''triplet'' from looking at the picture
11.gif
but just like you, if interested, I would have called and asked. I hope you will come back on this thread with news when the stone comes in
5.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 4:27:40 PM
Author: valeria101
Date: 2/1/2006 4:14:34 PM

According to the vendor, the layer of opal is great, but the stone is a little on the bummy side (although not overly so).

That would make sense. Even thought ''triplet'' from looking at the picture
11.gif
but just like you, if interested, I would have called and asked. I hope you will come back on this thread with news when the stone comes in
5.gif

I really hope it ends up being an amazing stone. My grandma has such an amazing collection of stones that she will know right away whether it''s a good one or not (she even has a couple of big ones that are in the $10,000/carat range). With this stone my grandpa was just looking for a nice black opal that she could wear on an almost daily basis without worrying about it like she does her more expensive stones. I guess you could describe this stone as a little "treat". But, if the stone really is that brilliant and the colors are more amazing than in the photos, we''ll be VERY happy!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I know you''re going to kill me, but I didn''t have time to take photos of the stone
39.gif
I wasn''t expecting the opal to be here in time for my Grandma''s birthday dinner this past Saturday, but sure enough, an hour before we had to leave, the package arrived!!!

And the stone is SPECTACULAR!!!
30.gif

Seriously, this is one of the few times when a vendor tells you a picture doesn''t do a stone justice and it really doesn''t. There is so much orange and yellow in the stone, and even a touch of red! Oh, and the black around the stone in the photo that Ana was concerned with doesn''t show at all in person.

The best part is my grandma LOVES the stone!
36.gif
I could not be happier
9.gif
My grandpa now feels comfortable buying "sight unseen", so I think he''s going to have me find some additional stones to buy for him to give as gifts for things like Mother''s Day, their anniversary, etc. So, I''m going to have to find some good resources on opals!

Thank you again for all of your help!
35.gif
I will do my best to take photos once the stone is set.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the good news
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to your Grandpa, Researcher!

If that picture ''doesn''t do the stone justice'' it must be absolutely dazzling in real life!
30.gif

By the way:
According to the vendor, the layer of opal is great, but the stone is a little on the bummy side
What does "bummy" mean?

widget

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sorry researcher, you should not give me that opal's picture
i can't resist to set it......................................on fire

Researcher_op.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 8:52:02 PM
Author: Pricescope
Sorry researcher, you should not give me that opal''s picture

i can''t resist to set it......................................on fire

Too funny! I''ll have to share that with my grandparents
9.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 9:17:01 AM
Author: widget
Congratulations to your Grandpa, Researcher!

If that picture ''doesn''t do the stone justice'' it must be absolutely dazzling in real life!
30.gif

By the way:

According to the vendor, the layer of opal is great, but the stone is a little on the bummy side
What does ''bummy'' mean?

widget

''Bummy'' means the stone is a little thick on the backside
11.gif

And yes, this stone is EXTREMELY beautiful in person!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results