shape
carat
color
clarity

tiffany earrings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been looking for some small diamond or pearl earrings to carry me though the professional earring-wearing everyday life, and I could swear when I was in the Boston Prudential Tiffany''s I saw Tiffany legacy *earrings.*

Now I cannot find them on the website to save my life! There are some "square studs" but I think these earrings had the speical new diamond cut they use for the legace and milgraining on the sides.

has anyone seen these??

I''m also looking for a pair of nice, classic pearl studs but know next to nothing about pearls. Tiff''s had some for 250, Akoya 7mm. Fair?

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
About the pearl earrings- have you seen americanpearl.com? 7mm AAA Akoyas go for $200 in 14kt. (18kt +$35) (platinum +$200) And their collection quality 7mm are $300.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Tiffany Legacy earrings? *perk*

This I gotta see!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Legacy pearl earrings? I haven''t seen diamond ones either - although several other designers (and an untold number of nameless jewelry makers) make halo-style earrings similar to the Legacy rings'' frames tops.

Could they have been these?

plat_cushion_cut.jpg

14B23.jpg
24L23.jpg

Btw. If you liked that idea, you may find some of the earrings by Karen Bleifer interesting - take a look
37.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
no, the legacy earring weren't pearls...differant thing.

the legacy looking ones were diamond.

pretty eye candy!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, you did see the Legacy in earings, The Diamonds used in the Legacy collection are a Patented Cushion Shape.

I hear they are marketing the same in Precious and semi Precious colored Gems.

Tiffany are actually expanding the Legacy collection, and people love it.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I went to the store today and asked. They are brand spanking new though, so they are only making them at half a carat per stud and above, and that is NOT within the realm of reasonable graduation gift from the parents....

I did try on their studs, which seem nice and decently reasonable, although I don''t know anything about diamonds. 900-ish for matched I VS2, .25 ctw studs? anyone? outrageous?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
RT,
I would check out the expert selection from WF. Great cut and you will be able to get a bigger pair than you would get at Tiff''s.
2.gif
I would have them set in a 3 prong martini setting.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
cool, I will look at them. What do you think is a good size for studs? How big is too big/uncomfortable, what is too small? of course this will mostly be dictated by my budget (about 900-1000 I think, must ask the parents and grandparents what they wanted to spend exactly)

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
For me personally, I wouldn''t go smaller than 1cwt (.50ct each) for diamond earings. I don''t even have diamond earings, but I have a pair of cz earings that are around 1/3ct each and they are too small for my liking. One of my girlfriends has .50cwt (.25ct each) and they look so teeny tiny in her ears.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
well, it''s offical, I have a 1,000 dollar budget for them and am okayed on working with the internet...

Oi. Bit scary, never owned any diamonds before.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s pretty good for pearls (and no, I wouldn''t pay that much for 7mm - not these days).

There are more pearls on the market than one can shake a stick at - and much of good quality below 10mm, including freshwater. Even larger than 10mm are not hard to find. And ''Akoya'' the brand has become quite hollow - as far as I know: with stories of thin nacre, extensive color treatment etc. You may want to shop around a bit.

If you want to play a bit without spending allot, have a look on the loose pearls at Wise''s and his story about cultured pearls. Perhaps in the context it sounds self-serving... but the darn pearls are ... barely $200 apiece (barely visible amount in that neighbourhood!) and his is definitely not an isolated opinion, as far as I know.

Sorry I''m not making this simple. Could be fun though
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely don't think that you have to get 1ctw minimum...I have had that before, not so well cut and they were okay but nothing breathtaking because the cut wasn't good. Now I have .76ctw earrings, .38c each and it was around $1200 or so ~1.5 years ago, and they are fabulous..I love them. I have small ears though...it may depend on that as well, aka how large your lobe part is and the rest of your ear. I do want to upgrade to around ~1.30ctw at some point but when I wear my set, they definitely get noticed because of how darn sparkly they are!!

I agree, check out WF ES, maybe you could get around .50ctw to start? And then an upgrade policy which is the fun part!

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
i have a pair of the ready set go studs in .8 tcw and they at .4 each are the perfect size IMO. :)

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I have the .8 tcw from WF aswell, Punch!

I think that they are perfect and love wearing them everyday! These were an upgrade from O.5tcw which I thought were sooo beautiful - I may even buy them again, they were just so perfect! I guess you can''t really have too many pairs, right?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking I may start with the .5tcw, and get nicer stones. I found some H&A ideal cuts about I VS2 for my price range.

We''ll see, I''m not to order them for a month or two as my birthday is not for a bit of time. I am feeling rather spoiled, between graduating college and turning 22 the family has decided I''m getting earrings and a new computer (Hoping for a 12 inch macbook pro, like that''s going to happen!), despite my insistance that I NEED neither. At least it is all of them chipping in together, I would feel bad if it was just one of my parents or grandparents.

Whee, between these earring and the engagement ring (crosses fingers) it is going to be a very sparkly year! Never owned any jewelry with anything more expensive than citritine or garnets in it, and only one or two little gold charms.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
btw, has anyone ever had issues with screwbacks? i couldnt help thinking--yes, secure--but a little scary in that they won''t come out without ripping your ear. Paranoid, but I live in West Philly and it''s pretty crime laden at the moment and I can''t help thinking trying to get them out for some mugger (or if I am in a car accident) would be a doozy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t get screw backs they are a nightmare. After a while the threads wear down and are hard to put on and take off. I have never lost a pair of studs and have the regular post and clutch. I do like having the monster backs to hold the earrings in place. They come in WG or YG. For size I think .40 in each ear is nice to start. I guess it depends how big you earlobes are. I have normal size I guess and .25 would be tiny. But that''s just me. Good luck, HTH.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The threads have worn down in mine too and they are such a pain to screw back in - causes lots of bad language as I always miss the right hole and they slip out at the side
29.gif
It has got so I can''t really wear them now as they loosen and no longer feel secure. I would think twice about buying screwbacks again.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I love that your family is getting you really nice stuff and that you seem like a very appreciative, down to earth person!
(Have just been reading a couple of old threads that were resurrected about people being really materialistic - the opposite of you!)

I received small studs several years ago for an important birthday and was afraid of losing them so I never wore them. I bet they are about .2 or .25 each. I decided to start wearing them and I love them! They are set in gold and I think I will have them switched to white gold to match my other jewelry. If I had had a choice, I would have gotten slightly bigger earrings because they seem quite small. however, they are very sparkly and I know they are real as opposed to the fake larger CZs that I also have :)

In short, I''d go with whiteflash or another reputable internet vendor, get the biggest you can get in a great cut, and don''t worry too much about the color or clarity - especially for earrings.

Tiffany''s is so fun to shop in, and I really love the few silver things I have from them, but when it comes to stud earring, nobody (but you) will know where it is from. I think you''re smart to look at the other vendors!

Congratulations on your birthday and graduation!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha, 1 ctw min. That is funny. I have 1/3 ctw (yes, 1/6 per ear) and I actually like the size. I have small ears and I am not saying I won't want a larger pair, but for now I think they are great for everyday wear plus they look real. (2ctw would not look real on me, oh the curse of looking young) I have the screw backs. They hurt the first time I put them in but they are SO secure. No way I am going to lose one of these. Plus I keep them in for weeks at a time so I am not it doesn't bother me. For your budget I think 1/2 ctw is perfect. You will be able to get a really great pair.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
tacori, how long have you had the screwbacks?

people whose threads wore off, how about you? I''m thinking maybe they wear off over long amounts of time?

also, have people gone with WG or plat? it''s not like I am worried about the prongs slipping since I am not likley to bang my ear, so is there a reason to go platinum other than weight?

thanks!
35.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
and who thought of trying to make a screw out of a soft precious metal anyway? I do wish they would make stainless steel settings.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had them for three years. They still look like they did when they were brand new (they look AMAZING after I put them in my ultrasonic cleaner). I think it is pretty hard to strip the threads. I know they bother some people but there is NO way I can lose one when they are on my ear. That comfort is worth the extra 10 seconds it takes to put them in. My earrings are set in WG and have no tint of yellow. I personally only think the extra money for PLT is worth it for rings (because of your skin's acid levels) otherwise get bigger/nicer diamonds and stick with WG.

ETA: I wanted to add that I have worn them for MOST of the three years daily.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the white gold for studs. Has anyone here ordered them from Signed Pieces/Facets? She could go there and compare prices. They seem to put good diamonds in all their jewelry.

I am uncertain about the screwback issue. I used to have CZ''s set in 14k with screwbacks and left them in all the time. I never had stripped screws. But when I did get some larger real diamonds, I was advised not to get screw backs, so who knows??? Maybe it strips them faster if you take them on and off everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results