shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice Seeking Reasurance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

EmeraldJen

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have been reding on this forum for a few hours and would like to ask a question.

My husband and I eloped several years ago and I never had an e-ring. Well, this christmas he gave one to me (sweet thing!). Here is a little background on where he purchased the diamond. I should preface this with the fact that we got it in a VERY small town on the bayous of Louisiana. My father in law is pretty wealthy and keeps my mother in law dripping in jewels, and as you can imaging, there are not many jewelery stores "on the bayou" where they live. He purchases all of his things from one jewler and as a favor for his continued business, he (the jewler) has sold each of my brothers in law the diamonds for their wives. I do not pretend to be very kowlegable about diamonds but I did do lots of reasearch and saw what seems like hundreds of diamonds while I was wishing for one. This jewler had a very large microscope and let me see the diamond in it as well as through a loop, he also let me see the stone in different lights, including outside. From what I have read, this is what every jewler should do. He was very kind and seemed straight forward. He advised me that he has been getting great deals from his sellers (?) on emerald cuts and said that if I liked that cut, he would be able to give me the best deal (he pretty much said he would give it to me at cost plus a little profit for himself). He did set the stone at no extra charge for the mounting.

Please, can those of you in the know review this GIA and tell me if we got a good deal? I have been feeling somewhat guilty for even asking this question as the jewler is a "family friend" but the fact that I am a novice and don''t know the ins and outs of a great stone will always keep me woundering if we made the right choice.

GIA
July 28, 2003
Emerald Cut
5.99 x 4.79 x 3.45 mm
1.00 carat
Depth: 72%
Table 61%
Girdle: Thick
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: SI1
Color: D
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Comments: Pinpoints are not shown

I wish I knew how to post a pic, but alas, I am still living in the past...I dont even have a dig. camera!

Thanks so much for any help you guys may be able to give...

EmeraldJen

Rough_Rock
Silly Me!!! I guess I should have put in what we paid!!!
$4,300.
Sorry, I am new to this whole forum thing.
Thanks again.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Hello, welcome to PS
35.gif
. The EC is one of my favorite cuts
3.gif
. This stone is quite deep, too deep for my preference and with the thick girdle, probably looks smaller than the 1.00 carat it is. That being said, fancy shapes with so-so numbers can still be beautiful stones; one must view them in person to evaluate their beauty. It''s difficult to say if you got a good deal w/o knowing the price. Is it completely eye-clean?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Okay, the price you paid is right in line with the online diamonds, which are usually cheaper than diamonds in stores. I wouldn't say it was a deal but for a B&M store and the personal attention you recieved from the seller, it was probably low. Also, any noticable bow tie?
All in all, if you love it then it is the perfect diamond for you!

BSHAW

Rough_Rock
I am no expert and don''t know anything about the dimensions and angles in reference to whether this is a well cut emerald but I did a search for like diamonds and the price seems to be a good price for a local B&M store. You can do the same search from the main page of pricescope. You paid for a D color which you could have went down and saved but I think the color shows more on emerald cut diamonds so this may have been a good choice. The real key is whether it is eye clean cuz that is key in picking SI2 stones. If you don''t see the inclusions in the ring then I would say you got a nice diamond there for a good price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome also
35.gif
If it is a clean SI1 which isn''t always the case in EC''s as any inclusions don''t have anywhere to hide and you love it then that''s all that matters. I don''t know much about EC''s but I agree with Jazmine the eyes are the best tool for evaluating fancy shapes. The med fluoresence in the D colour might have reduced the price a bit too. It sounds as if it is a beauty and you do realize we need pics don''t you?
41.gif
Congratulations on your lovely Xmas gift!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m partial to ECs, so I think he made a good choice!
2.gif

It is a bit deep, and the GIA cert doesn''t really give enough info for us to tell if it''s a top cut or not, but if it''s bright and gorgeous to you that''s a far better evaluation than we can give!!! Enjoy it in good health!

EmeraldJen

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replys

The stone is "eye clean" I did see the inclusion through the scope but found it difficult to see in the loop. It is in the corner of the stone. Not sure what a bowtie is but the stone just looks like a clear peice of glass, there are no visable shadows, or inclusions, it is just plain.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds good
2.gif
A bowtie is a description of an illusionary dark area in the diamond which resembles a bowtie, often seen at certain angles, you would probably recognise it if your diamond displayed this effect. Many fancies have this effect but not all, such as Marquis, pears, ovals etc. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, some people like the effect, but others will actively seek out a diamond without one. Please try not to keep wondering if you made the right choice, especially if it is a done deal - we can all do this but there will always be a better looking diamond, a cheaper one, a sparklier one etc. Your diamond is unique and as long as you love it that's all that matters, even if the proportions aren't considered ideal. Second guessing at first is natural, especially if you gain knowledge after the event, but try not to dwell on it, it sounds quite lovely!

BSHAW

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 12:31:26 PM
Author: EmeraldJen
Thanks for the replys

The stone is ''eye clean'' .... the stone just looks like a clear peice of glass, there are no visable shadows, or inclusions, it is just plain.

Those statements are all that you should be worried about!! You got a great diamond so don''t worry any more about it just enjoy
36.gif

EmeraldJen

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much ya''ll!! (and yes, the ya''ll does mean that I am a true southern girl!)

I''m not going to worry about my "deal" anymore, I love the stone. I guess I will move on to worring about more important things, such as finding the earings to match!!!!

Thanks again.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I''m no expert, so you can take my opinion for what it''s worth
face23.gif

EC''s are beautiful and a D in color sounds excellent. I don''t know enough about the other specs to give my two cents, but what do you think of the stone when you look at it? Do you love it? It also sounds like the price is fair.

My b/f and I purchased our stone from a local jewerl who has also been a mutual friend of each of ours for years. So, I trust that he took care of us on our purchase. I''d like to think that your DH''s jeweler also took care of you. There is a loyality their with him and your hubby''s family.

Enjoy! I''m sure it''s gorgeous and can''t wait to see pictures!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2006 12:48:45 PM
Author: EmeraldJen
Thanks so much ya''ll!! (and yes, the ya''ll does mean that I am a true southern girl!)

I''m not going to worry about my ''deal'' anymore, I love the stone. I guess I will move on to worring about more important things, such as finding the earings to match!!!!

Thanks again.
Hehehe a true Pricescoper in the making!
36.gif
36.gif
Don''t forget those pics!

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
i wasn''t aware that emerald cuts displayed bowties...??

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
"i wasn''t aware that emerald cuts displayed bowties...?? "

I wans''t aware of that either. I had only heard about them with pear/marquis... where would a bow tie be on an emerald cut?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
all fancy shapes can display a bow tie, especially elongated shapes like pears, marquise, and emerald cuts

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 10:00:14 PM
Author: jazmine
all fancy shapes can display a bow tie, especially elongated shapes like pears, marquise, and emerald cuts
although with EC''s its more of a "cross"

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is pretty deep and very squarish (I like shorter, fatter ECs vs. taller, thiner) and if the SI1 is eye clean (I have seen inclusions in SI1 ECs before and it was not a pretty sight) but what is important is that YOU think it is a beautiful stone. IMHO numbers are not as important in ECs as in RBs. Also I think ECs are ANYTHING but plain. The right one sparkles like no other
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results