shape
carat
color
clarity

square diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ace

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend I know likes princess shape diamonds. I was set on getting a princess, but have now learned there is an Asscher or Square H & A. Are these more preferable or sparkle more than Princess? Are there other square shape diamonds? Is Good Old Gold the only place to get a Square HA?

Thanks

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
To ask if one is more preferable is very hard to answer, let your GF be you guide for that. Any could be preferable, depending on who you ask. It really comes down to a matter of opinion and what you are looking for in a diamond. The asscher is not what I would call a "sparkly" cut (some may disagree,
2.gif
). However, its beauty is entirely unique. The cut is elegant and vey classy. The square H&A will probably have a little more of the sparkle of a round, depending on the quality of the cut. Sorry, but I do not know if GOG is the only vendor for these, someone else will chime in. A safe bet would be that the princess is the most "common" of the three. If your GF would like something different, something out of the ordinary, then you may want to consider one of the other square cuts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The square H&A diamond looks a lovely lively diamond to my eyes. Asschers as Jazmine says perform differently but are a fabulous cut, bear in mind they can look a little smaller for their carat weight compared to other shapes. Also you could look at Radiant cuts, or even Emeralds - a more understated cut but not what I would call brilliant ( none the worse for that though
30.gif
). GOG seems to be the current leader with the square H& A, so might make a good starting point. A well cut Princess would be very attractive indeed, best thing is to compare and research the different options to see which appeals to you both most. What are your GF''s actual preferences, she will be wearing the ring ?

picky

Rough_Rock
I think each of those cuts has their own personality and its just a personal preferance in which you go for.

To me the Princess is light, sparkly, cute, frivolous, fun. Just what the name implies really.

The Asscher looks serious, classic, sophisticated, elegant..

I''m not to fond of the square H&A yet...need to see more.

Right now I''m into the playfullness of the Princess. I absolutely love the cut and the sparkle.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2005 5:29:27 AM
Author: jazmine

I do not know if GOG is the only vendor for these, someone else will chime in.
Most likely not. These are branded cuts and you may find a list of distributors online.

There are other squares - square radiants are not (always) branded, and the named ones would be Lucida, Lucere, HOF square... and likely a few dozens more each with its premium and slightly different look.

For example, the Regent Cut is online at www.regent-cut-online.com with distibutors list & all

Lucere - a cousin of Tiffany''s Lucida cut, is represented at Cut by Gauge

The Jubilee - on the namesake site

...and Google will help with the others I''d bet.

I am not sure how much these subtly different cuts show of on a smaller stone though (except for the price tag). A fine cut on any square - meaning proportions that yield top brilliance - will probably have more impact on the brighteness of the finished thing, than a couple of extra facets.

Another thing to look in all squares is size (diameter) - they tend to be deep cut and smaller looking stones. This is something discounted in generic, non-branded cuts but not so in branded ones.

True enough, GoodOldGold is the one distibutor for some of these that posts on this forum and I do not know how many others would dream of lining up and comparing the looks, flaws and qualities of several brands. This sort of service is the part that does not come with branded diamonds off the bat. Usually there''s a short unspecific ''this-is-the-best-diamond-in-the-world'' mantra and off the door
9.gif

Hope this helps a bit
1.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
I''m very partial to the Jubilee myself
11.gif
but seriously, I think the Jubilee has the most square appearance when set...the square H&A looks more rounded as does the Regent. Also don''t forget to check out the Princess AGS Ideal I know GOG sells them. They are truly beautiful.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 2:43:20 AM
Author:ace
My girlfriend I know likes princess shape diamonds. I was set on getting a princess, but have now learned there is an Asscher or Square H & A. Are these more preferable or sparkle more than Princess? Are there other square shape diamonds? Is Good Old Gold the only place to get a Square HA?

Thanks
Do you think your girlfriend specifically like princess cut diamonds or just wants something that is square? Unless she is on pricescope, or does research online, it''s unlikely that she ever heard of Square H&A, or Jubilees. Asschers are becoming a bit more popular, but she may not prefer that understated look.

I have a square h&a & although in pictures, I didn''t think they looked so square (especially un-mounted), mine looks as square as it can be in the setting. Mine is super sparkley & I love looking down at it & seeing those crisp arrows!
30.gif
I''m not sure if you can get the Square H&A anywhere but Good Old Gold - that''s where mine is from!

As far as preference - that''s really a personal choice. There will always be a die-hard lover of princess cuts, cushions, asschers, square h&a, jubilees, lucida, etc. I''m sure your gf will love whatever you get her!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results