shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanksgiving Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RJB

Rough_Rock
Hello Everybody,

I would like to get some feedback before I propose.

First: I am going to my girlfriend''s house for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I plan on asking her father for his blessing as soon as I can. I know that some people include the mother but I don''t know if I can get her by herself on Thanksgiving. (Note: We both go to school so I will only be there through Sat. morning.)
Q: Is this reasonable?

Second: I am writing her a poem in Italian (we met in Italy). I plan on taking her for a walk by the water (Monterey Bay) and stopping off at a nearby resort to get a drink of champagne. We would walk over to a spot overlooking the water. I will read her my poem, express my unquantifiable love, and propose.
Q: How does this plan sound? Any changes/suggestions?

Third: I was going to do it on Friday but the forecast calls for rain. I was hoping to get her to go for the walk in the early evening after Thanksgiving dinner is done. I want to propose privately but I want her to also be able to come back and show her family. I don''t think it would be bad to propose after dinner. (I did read the post about proposing before or after the sunset dinner.)
Q: What''s your take on proposing after the dinner? I could chance it on Friday but my timeline is kinda tight because I leave Saturday morning. I really want to surprise her because she loves surprises so I am thinking maybe Thanksgiving would work in my favor.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.
RJB

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
First of all, good luck with the proposal and congratulations!

Next....I would try to get her dad alone as soon as possible, without arousing suspicion. Maybe when your girlfriend is in another room, out at the car, etc. you can tell her dad you''ve like to speak with him privately if possible, and that you need to be discrete from your girlfriend. Then hopefully you can find a time to talk to him without your girlfriend getting suspicious.

If you''re able to include her mother in it (like your girlfriend is out of the house running an errand and you''re left at home with her parents), then that''s great. But if you aren''t able to, I think it will be fine for you to just talk to her dad and say that you''re asking for both of their blessing, etc. I''m not saying this because I''m sexist or old fashioned, but the tradition is to "ask" the father so if you''re only going to be able to talk to one, he''s probably the one to talk to.

As for timing....I think it would be wonderful if you proposed on Thanksgiving. If you take a walk after dinner, then propose, then go back to the house...will there still be family around to celebrate with? If there is family that is leaving after dinner that you''d like to share the celebration with, then I''d suggest maybe even doing it before dinner. But if they''ll be around when you get back I think after dinner is a nice time. She probably won''t be expecting it, with all the chaos of Thanksgiving preparations, guests arriving, etc. So after dinner she''ll be tired and happy and full, and maybe not thinking about a possible proposal.

Good luck! Tell us how it goes!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everything Elle said! Congratulations, good luck, and be sure to come back and tell us how it went and post some pictures!
9.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hurry back and tell us what happened!

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~How did the proposal go??
2.gif

RJB

Rough_Rock
Hello Everybody!!!
I am engaged!
ElleWoods thanks for the commments.

So, I wasn''t able to propose on Thanksgiving because her father had food posisoning from some Mexican food they had eaten the night before. He was feeling pretty ill and hanging out on the couch with everybody (there were 31 people there) all around him!

It did rain on Friday and I was upset thinking that the proposal would not be pulled off this weekend. I was trying to think up a good Plan B but then it cleared up around 3pm. However, I still hadn''t been able to talk to her father.

I told my soon-to-be fiancee that I wanted to take her out to get a drink at the nearby resort to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. Her dad was out the whole day with his parents and family and so when he finally came home I had to make a strong move. He was in his room changing when I knocked. He was pretty shocked when I asked him for his blessing. He was still in his boxers. (Oh well, I had to ask or else it wouldn''t have happened last night!) After babbling some replys to his questions and receiving some advice he gave me his blessing.

We drove over to the resort, where I bought a bottle of Asti Spumante. We went outside and sat down at an outdoor fire by the pool. The sound of the waves crashing , the firelight, and the starry sky set the scene.

After having a few glasses and reminiscing about how we met and several memorable moments I took out the poem/prose that I had written. At the last line I dropped to one knee, held out the ring, and proposed. After about 20 seconds of crying she said Yes!!!

It was a simple, beautiful moment and everything came together to provide us the type of proposal I could only dream of pulling off. Plus she was completely surprised, which was the number one goal I was trying to achieve!

We went back to her house where all the rest of her family was waiting to celebrate. It was the greatest moment. I can''t believe I''m engaged!!!

Thanks everybody at Pricescope,
RJB

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~What a great proposal!! It''s sooo good that family was back at the house to welcome the news!!!! Any ring pics??
2.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaah- so sweet! I''m so happy for you - Congratulations! Would love to see pictures...

RJB

Rough_Rock
She''s got all the pictures at her house still. When she sends some to me, I will post some. Hopefully, I''ll be getting them tonight.

RJB

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~YAY!! I can''t wait!!
36.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great, congratulations!!! I was wondering how it all went. Sounds like a truly romantic proposal. Can''t wait to see the pics!!!
36.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!!! That sounds like such a WONDERFUL proposal!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Aaaaand, hehe....you have the pics yet??
12.gif

RJB

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture at the resort minutes after I proposed.
RJB

ShowLetter4.jpg

RJB

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of my finacee with her ring.
RJB

ShowLetter1.jpg

RJB

Rough_Rock
Here''s a picture of the ring!!!
So, this was the best picture of it that she has sent me so far. I know it''s a little blurry but it is a 2.62 tcw, 2.05 c center stone, cushion cut, J/K, Si1, with two princess cut diamonds on the side and 3 bead-set diamonds down each side of the band. All I know is that it sparkles even more on her hand than it ever did in the ringbox.
RJB

ShowLetter3.jpg

BlingBlingMommy

Rough_Rock
Congrats!!! I love your proposal story! You''re so cute together!.....and that ring......yum!!!!
36.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~You are the cutest couple!! And that ring is beyond beautiful!!! Congrats!!!
36.gif

RJB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help, advice, and congratulations everybody!

Pricescope has been a huge help. Now I''m moving over to the Brides/Grooms to Be section as all the planning starts.

RJB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results