shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald cuts not bondable??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I was upset to read (per Fred Cuellar) that as of Sept. 2005 Emerald Cut Diamonds are no longer bondable. He says they will be "dirt cheap" (no offense to dirt!!) because "flats & macles" (??) are being dumped on the market. The saturated marked coupled with "lower customer interest" means they are no longer bondable. I know that he is no fan of the EC (he highly recommends the Royal Asscher), but I love mine & this makes me sad
33.gif
.....Is he correct about this??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's crazy... why do they have to motivate some random commercial policy in such terms?

Believe me, you would know the difference between some weird EC resulting from flat rough even if that was the first diamonds you ever saw
11.gif
I bet there is 'little interest' in such oddity - if they even exist. Blah ....
40.gif

On the other hand... if the author of the statement can provide dirt cheap emerald cut diamonds all for the better. I can pass on the bondage option.
2.gif

koko

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Ana....your knowledge and helpful information is what I came to Price Scope for!! To read Fred''s "Q & A" my EC is worthless.....but you''ve made me feel much better!
34.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Not bondable" means that Fred Cuellar won''t sell them, nothing more. That is, of course, his choice but the rest of the statement is nonsense. There have been several discussions about the merits of his bonding program as well as his opinions on what makes one diamond better than another. Use the search box at the top right corner of the page if you want to do a little research.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i know nothing relative to the experts BUT a synthetic diamond is not real, a badly cut diamond is a badly cut diamond, flawed crystal will be revealed through grading............i dont get it

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Okay here's a serious take on this one...

koko,
Your post appears to make the assumption that by offering "bonded diamonds", it automatically makes a diamond vendor (and that vendor's product) somehow better. In this case I would strongly urge the following:

A "bonded" diamond is only as good as the person standing behind it.
Do some research about the person making the offer to "bond" your diamond.
Read the fineprint and understand your responsibilities under the bonding agreement.
Determine if bonded diamonds is just a marketing gimmick.
Determine if an insurance policy is a more dependable way to go.

Best of luck to you!
Bill Scherlag

P.S. Beware of "warped" sales tactics.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness!
9.gif

Couldn't they find any less cheeky word than 'bondage'? Every time I read that it's hard (and often impossible to hold down a chuckle!

Anyway, this must be the first mention of 'flats' and 'macles' around here. Curious what they look like?

Here's some: flat, thin triangles and long, thin cleaved stones. Don't think ECs fit in there
20.gif

bedazzled101

Rough_Rock
Dabeers would never let their diamonds sell for dirt cheap prices...
26.gif
...if they were selling emerald cuts dirt cheap, i''d buy up every one...lol
41.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/28/2005 9:16:45 AM
Author: windowshopper
i know nothing relative to the experts BUT a synthetic diamond is not real, a badly cut diamond is a badly cut diamond, flawed crystal will be revealed through grading............i dont get it
I am not sure I get your question. Where did synthetic diamond come into this discussion. If you are referring to the terms flats and macles, those are names for shapes of diamond rough, trillions are often cut from macles as they yield better weight than trying to cut a round from them and although I am not a cutter and may be incorrect I think that emerald cuts may often be cut from flats.

Fred has a spotted reputation and his bonding program is pure marketing hype, which may have value to his clients, but has absolutely no value to anyone else in the diamond world. If DeBeers does dump flats and macles on the market and thus drives down the price of emerald cuts then it will be an excellent time for those of you who love them to pick up some steal deals.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. Valeria,

Thank you for the link to the diamond rough pictures. They have some great things there and maybe I will go buy a couple of the good looking crystals, many years ago I tried to make a pendant with one for my wife that was destroyed by the setter in his first and only job for me. I have never again seen a crystal that I wanted to work with at a reasonable price. They had several on that website, although I did not get a chance to check the pricing. Maybe my wife has a nice Valentine''s day present in her future...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2005 1:18:46 PM
Author: Wink
P.S. Valeria,

Thank you for the link to the diamond rough pictures. They have some great things there and maybe I will go buy a couple of the good looking crystals, many years ago I tried to make a pendant with one for my wife that was destroyed by the setter in his first and only job for me. I have never again seen a crystal that I wanted to work with at a reasonable price. They had several on that website, although I did not get a chance to check the pricing. Maybe my wife has a nice Valentine''s day present in her future...
Yaaaaa....ay!
36.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t see any merchandise being dumped or the price would rapidly reflect it. What I do see is a greater lack of liquidity and someone might be attempting to eliminate certain more difficult to re-sell diamonds from a guaranteed price for trading back in.

I''d look on the ending of bonding, what ever "bonding" actually is, with emerald cuts as a symptom of the bonder''s own weaknesses beginning to show. A first crack in the dike, one might believe.

We''ll see if other shapes become unbondable in the future. I wouldn''[t worry myself over it, if I were you. Don''t pay for bonding and don''t expect miracles. It will save you lots of money to just be informed and realistic.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That the guy is shonky is something that most people seem to know already.

But as Ana has pointed out - he is also ignorant of the fact that emerald cuts rarely come from maccles, and never ever from flats.
They come from slightly deformed octahedra crystals or well shaped octahedra with inclusions to one side.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And there you have it, good thing I admitted up front I was not a cutter and might be incorrect in my thinking that emeralds could be cut from flats...

Funny thing is though that the guy making the claims IS a cutter and should know this.

Wink

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2005 1:14:55 PM
Author: Wink

Date: 11/28/2005 9:16:45 AM
Author: windowshopper
I am not sure I get your question. Where did synthetic diamond come into this discussion. If you are referring to the terms flats and macles, those are names for shapes of diamond rough, trillions are often cut from macles as they yield better weight than trying to cut a round from them and although I am not a cutter and may be incorrect I think that emerald cuts may often be cut from flats.

Fred has a spotted reputation and his bonding program is pure marketing hype, which may have value to his clients, but has absolutely no value to anyone else in the diamond world. If DeBeers does dump flats and macles on the market and thus drives down the price of emerald cuts then it will be an excellent time for those of you who love them to pick up some steal deals.

Wink
i didnt mean to infer he was talking about synthetics........i just meant that a diamond is a diamond, good , bad or ugly. this person saying that there are lots of crappy Ec's being unloaded onto the market only means that there are lots of crappy EC's being unloaded onto the market...........so he shouldnt buy them or sell them or "bond" them. There are lots of us sick EC lovers who would gladly love a bunch of cheap EC's floating around. Me for one...........I'd like 5 carats--D VS1--..................

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I see any cheap 5 caraters come up I will give you a PM, but please, don''t hold your breath too long, it could be dangerous waiting for this to pass. (Darn!)

Wink

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KoKo:

I would not worry at all; the value of your diamond has not diminshed one iota. The vendor in question does not have a record of reliability, and his diamonds are not bonded at all; just marketing hype. Bonding is a gurantee issued by a 3rd party to stand behind the claims; and in most states "bonding" companies have to be licensed and demonstrait that they have the assetts to stand behind and bonds they issue.

Where is the bond issued by a legitimate bonding company - their is none; thus, his diamonds are not being bonded at all.

I would also like to point out that in most states you cannot claim things are bonded without haveing it properely bonded (false advertising). Apparently, this vendor is not in a state where he would be prosecuted for his false claims on bonding. If you research the vendor you will find that he has been successfully prosecuted for other things.

Now if he is not telling the truth about bonding - why would you believe anything else he is telling you.

Window Shopper Says:

i just meant that a diamond is a diamond, good , bad or ugly. this person saying that there are lots of crappy Ec''s being unloaded onto the market only means that there are lots of crappy EC''s being unloaded onto the market...........so he shouldnt buy them or sell them or "bond" them.

Window: I have to disagree with your conclusion: The fact that a person says that there are lots of crappy Ec''s being unloaded onto the market only means .... That the person is saying that their are lots of crappy EC''s being unladed onto the market; not that their are.

Where might I ask would only a sudden oversupply of poor quality EC''s come from. Why arn''t their a sudden oversupply of poor other cuts being dumped on the market; driving the prices down on all diamonds (because most people buy the lowest cost diamond they can get).

I see no evidence of any of these extra diamonds appearing on the market - in any shape.

My conclusion is that this vendor no longer wishes to sell EC''s; They are after all not the most popular shape. Let''s add this claim to the same pile that his "warped" diamonds is on.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results