shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a 3ct oval too big?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I know, it sounds pretty ridiculous
20.gif
B/F bought me a 3 ct oval and it's a gorgeous stone. I've been looking forward to getting this stone for months. I only had it on yesterday in a solitaire setting and I felt like it was too big for me. We took it to the jeweler today to start working on the setting, and picked out a beautiful micro pave/halo setting. I know it's going to look beautiful, but I'm worried it's too big
7.gif
How stupid does that sound?

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Marvel, to feel your pain
3.gif

Seriously, every time I''ve had a new ring made it has taken me a litte while to "adjust" from my expectations to the real thing. Sometimes it''s size, sometimes it''s style- I second guess myself like crazy and think a little doubt is a very normal thing. There is so much pressure (self-imposed) attached to our e-rings that sometimes it is maddening.

You didn''t mention your ring size and we don''t know if your lifestyle & career is such that a substantial stone would not be practical- did you take any photos of the stone in the solitaire? What was your BFs reaction? Maybe some ladies with similar ring sizes and ct weights can chime in... (My 2.21 omc seems TINY to me now, but I have huge 7 1/4 fingers, so I''m no help at all)

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/25/2005 10:17:52 PM
Author: fountainfairfax
Oh Marvel, to feel your pain
3.gif

Seriously, every time I've had a new ring made it has taken me a litte while to 'adjust' from my expectations to the real thing. Sometimes it's size, sometimes it's style- I second guess myself like crazy and think a little doubt is a very normal thing. There is so much pressure (self-imposed) attached to our e-rings that sometimes it is maddening.

You didn't mention your ring size and we don't know if your lifestyle & career is such that a substantial stone would not be practical- did you take any photos of the stone in the solitaire? What was your BFs reaction? Maybe some ladies with similar ring sizes and ct weights can chime in... (My 2.21 omc seems TINY to me now, but I have huge 7 1/4 fingers, so I'm no help at all)

Thanks for the laff, and the reply, Fountain!
9.gif

My ring size is about a 5, and I have a desk job, so it wouldn't be knocked around too much. We are also having two micro pave eternity bands to go with it, this way I can wear just the two bands without the e-ring. Unfortunately, I don't have photos of my stone to post for you. My b/f just laughs at me and said it doesn't make me look deformed. He thinks I'm just being self-conscience. I know I'll never have to worry about shrink agae and I'll NEVER want to upgrade...maybe add, but never replace.

We should all have such dilemmas in life

21.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I say that you''ll get used to it in no time flat. When I got my upgrade I thought it was just huge. It''s funny how quickly you become adjusted to it. I went from a 1 carat to a 2.36 carat. I have to say, no shrinkage has set in and it''s been many years. I also wear a size 5. HTH and can''t wait to see your beautiful ring.
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author:marvel
B/F bought me a 3 ct oval and it's a gorgeous stone.
How wonderful, Marvel! Lucky you!!!

Have you always wanted a diamond in a halo setting? If it were me, I'd probably want to wear the ring as a simple solitaire for a while to see how it felt before plunging ahead and remounting it.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I generally prefer simpler mountings...particularly if the center stone is big. It's not like you really need to "bling up" such a honker!
5.gif

Whatever you decide, you must post pictures...how thrilling for you to have such a dilemma!

widget

ETA...LOL...I just realized you're not thinking about remounting it...you're doing it!!! So please disregard my comments above.
20.gif
IT WILL BE GORGEOUS!!!
18.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Heh, Heh, Heh, Define TOO BIG!!! That''s easy. If it''s yours, it''s too big. If it''s mine, well I''d say just about right.
31.gif

shay

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
(chucle)

'Goodness, woman....

can you show us the ring ?

Look, I am a shy creature that does not carry eye catching stuff well.... but, just give me that diamond and watch
2.gif

PS: while looking to see if there is any trace of the ring on SMTR, I've found your thread calling me. Didn't notice at the time... Sorry for that.
8.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reassurance, girls. I'm sure I'll adjust to the size
emwink.gif
...I'll post pictures as soon as I have the finished product.

Valeria...No worries....I figured you didn't see my post.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In reply to the thread title question NO!!!!
11.gif
11.gif
Your eyes will soon get used to the size as you wear it plus it allows a little room to avoid the dreaded DSS!
14.gif
I am sure in a week or so you will find 3 carats " just right"
emsmilep.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
NO WAY!!!! Three carats is juuuuuuuuust right.
30.gif
Can''t wait to see the pics.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
It''s funny that you say the 3ct may be too big and yet you are going to put it in a halo setting which will probably going to make it look like a 4-5 ct from the far. I don''t think it will be too big at all though, esecially after shrikage sets in. My stone look huge to me but now it looks just right, not big and not small.

Perhaps try and set it lower (instead of a high setting); that will make it look more sleeker, rather than that pow in your fact look.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Check out this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-oval-ring.17497/. Epicureangirl is my friend in real life, she told me about pricescope! Her ring is just like the fourth picture posted by Hannah. It is BEAUTIFUL. I don''t even normally care for half bezels but hers is one of my favorite rings ever. Her stone is not as big as yours, but I think the setting might work for you - the stone is set very low so that it will probably not turn heads across the room - just up close.
If it were me, I''d keep the prongs though, b/c I like attention! Maybe keep wearing your solitaire for a bit and see if you get used to the giant honking stone before choosing another setting??
If you don''t want it to seem bigger, I''d avoid a halo!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That is so true, Kaleidoscopic, the halo will make a stone appear much larger than it is. So if 3 carat seems a bit large now, once it is set it will seem huge! My 2 ct pear easily gives the appearance of a 3+ carat with its halo.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a low pave setting w/ 2 bands but NO halo. Honestly at 3ct I think a halo could take the whole thing to a "cocktail" look rather than e-ring.

HOWEVER, I wouldn''t change a thing about having a 3ct oval on my hand ... keep that sucker. Maybe even consider a euro-shank back or a split shank ring to TRY to keep that baby from spinning.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that if you''re concerned about a 3carat looking too big, then a halo is not the way to go...like others have said, it ventures into cocktail ring territory. a 3 carat oval in a simple solitaire setting would be stunning. it easily stands on its own.

ps - your eye will adjust to the stone''s large size soon enough, i promise you! ;-)

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I know that a halo will make the stone look larger, but I'm sooo in love with the setting, that I'd rather have a smaller stone and keep the setting. I talked to my jeweler about being self-conscience with the size and not setting it in a halo. His wife told me that I would get over it
emwink.gif
I did look at split shanks, and I do not want it set too high. I've shown him pictures and pictures over the past few month and he said, you keep going back to this setting, so let's set it in the halo and not compromise what you want b/c of the size of the stone. I'll probably get my ring in the next week, or two, and I'll post pictures. I'm a bit concerned about the "cocktail" ring thing, but I'm hoping for the best. We'll see how it goes....thanks for all the suggestions.

ello

Brilliant_Rock
NEVER - it''s a wonderful size!!!!
31.gif

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
I wish I had a 3 carat e-ring!!!

I''m sure, in time you will love it!!!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I learned form experience that if you keep going back to the same setting, you will definately enjoy it!

Incase you decide to look for a different setting, I love this pic of the oval in tacori setting. It still has that antique look that you probably like.

what%20i%20want.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree re: haloing a large stone, to me that's overkill. I think a 3c oval in a solitaire would be fabulous, in an halo it may end up looking like a cocktail ring, I guess it just depends on the look you are going for? Can you get a smaller oval to halo it?

I tried on a 5c oval once and it looked HUGE on my hand and actually fairly fake, I was kind of disappointed!! I think if I was maybe 50 I could carry it off...but I think sometimes esp with fancies there is such a thing as big too big?

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleidoscopic, That''s a beautiful setting and after seeing your ring, I LOVE tapered bagettes.

I''ll have to see where my journey takes me. I may end up with a slightly smaller stone, to keep the halo setting. Or, I may love it. I can''t wait to post pictures and sure it with all of you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d let the 3 carat be the star of the show and put it in a simple setting. As others have mentioned a halo will just make it appear even larger. I have a RHR that is a .92 asscher with a halo and it made my stone look soooo much bigger. I also love double claw prongs, that could be really pretty as well.
2.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 7:54:19 PM
Author: marvel
I''d rather have a smaller stone and keep the setting.

BLASHPHEMY! This is CRAZY TALK (tm)!!!!
23.gif
31.gif
J/K ...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three carats is fairly big and with a halo it''s going to look huge! Why not wear your eng. ring around as it is for a bit and see if you become use to the size before choosing a setting that''s going to substantially increase it''s size? You can always keep your eng. ring in a solitaire and purchase a smaller stone and have a halo RHR designed.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2005 9:46:32 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 11/26/2005 7:54:19 PM
Author: marvel
I''d rather have a smaller stone and keep the setting.

BLASHPHEMY! This is CRAZY TALK (tm)!!!!
23.gif
31.gif
J/K ...
Thanks, Decoded, for bringing me to my senses!! I don''t know what I was thinking
9.gif
TOO BIG...what a knucklehead...I''m keeping it!!! Cocktail ring, or not, I''m wearing that baby!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Major crazy talk. Hee-hee.
There''s a disease that you are going to contract very shortly...it''s called shrinkage. Wear that puppy for 2 weeks, even with a halo, and it will begin to slowly, but surely, shrink.

beefcake

Rough_Rock
Dear, you know that old saying, "Less is more?" Maybe in this case you''d want to let the stone speak for itself, rather than put anything else around it to compete...and hey, if you''re still dissaftisfied in a few weeks, call me and I''ll give you an adress to send it...my fat hand could handle a bigger rock!
25.gif

Good luck!
-E

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Marvel,

On the one hand, you can put it in a simpler setting for now and then once the shrinkage sets in or you finally decide that you want a coctail look or larger look to your e-ring, you can always re-set it!

The problem is that you LOVE that setting. So even if we convince you to put the 3ct in a more simpler setting, you will still think about what the ring would have looked like had you decided to go with your initial choice: the halo setteing. So, go with your gut insticts!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my (humble!) but totally honest opinion. If you LOVE the look of a halo, then halo it! I think the key to keep it from looking cocktail-ring-ish would be the size of the melee used in the halo. I''d use REALLY small ones, like maybe 1 pointers (or even less) - but I''d be sure to get fully ideal-cut stones, like the baby ACAs. That would surround your stone in sparkle, accenting your oval but not "taking away" from it. Personally, I think it would be a KILLER ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Yeah, it''ll look HUGE, but um, that''s a GOOD THING! I mean, come on, look at madrock''s!
31.gif

I say, go for it!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results