shape
carat
color
clarity

Barcode discrepancy on GIA Report

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny_e77

Rough_Rock
When purchasing the diamond, I was given a photo copy of the GIA report. This was because the jewler (who was my friend''s father) was selling the diamond from one of his suppliers (or another jelwer). I didn''t have any reason not to trust him so I agreed to keep the copy until the original copy was obtained in a couple days. When I got the orignal copy I noticed a discrepancy from my photo copy and the original. The barcode on the report was different. Everything else matched (except laser incription which the diamond doesn''t have) including the report number, shape & cutting style, measurements, etc. Even the diagram of the diamond and it''s inclusions are the same.

With that said, can you tell me what the significance of the barcode on the report is? I couldn''t find an explanation of this anywhere. Also, should I be cincerned of any foul play here with the discrepancy of the barcode? I mean if it''s a photo copy, why is it different.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Regards,
Ken

kenny_e77

Rough_Rock
Any input would be very helpful. I''ve never bought a diamond before and I don''t want to screw up my GF engagement ring.

Please help!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
This may seem obvious but did you ask the person you bought it from why it was different? Maybe there is a simple explanation. I do not know myself why the barcode would be different.

ScheinerDiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi,
The diamond may have been re-certified for some reason.
They may have tried for a better color or clarity grade.
The bar code is the GIA's own number to track a diamond as it goes through the checking pipeline.
If they checked the same diamond twice the barcode will change.
There is a good chance the first copy you got was the first certificate and the original one was after the re-check.
Hope this helps.
Michael

goodfine

Rough_Rock
Hi ScheinerDiamonds

I checked the link to your site. It''s a wonderful site!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Does on of the reports mention a laser inscription? If so I would ask where it was. Just ask the man who sold it to you, if he has a resonable explination move on. If you are really worried you could always have the jewler send it to GIA again for you.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
To ease my paranoia about buying online I called the gia and gave them the cert number and they verified stuf for me like the measurements-depth table, color ect ect. It was right on!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results