shape
carat
color
clarity

side stone to center stone ratio

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brian m

Rough_Rock
Hi All. I''m new here, but I''m becoming more educated with every post I read.

I have two questions:

First, Is there a general ratio of side stones to center stone? For instance, if I was looking at purchasing two .36ct side stones, what size center stone would be appropriate. I would prefer a more even look but not completely even, as I would like a little emphasis on the center stone.

Second, in general is it cheaper to buy loose diamonds and have a setting made? I was looking at the princess plus 3-stone from Littman''s. I know the setting may be proprietary, but it would be possible to find the setting elsewhere and buy the loose diamonds for less than buying the complete ring?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on what the price of the default option is...

Sometimes custom work is less expensive than designer barnds (and better, as far as I am concerned). But that may not be the case here.

You may try the database here to find out some price refference for the stones.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara posted this chart a while back, don''t know if it will help..

original.aspx

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I think the side stone to center stone ratio depends on the kind of look you are going for.

For example, if you want a true 3 stone ring (meaning where all 3 stones kind of blend together) then a jeweler told me you need to have your side stones be at least 50% of the size of your center stone. This isn't a "rule" per say, just one jeweler's opinion. For example, if you had a 1ct center then your side stones would each be .50ct.

I however, like the center to be more the center of attention and prefer the side stone to be at least 25% the size of the center, if not smaller. For example, if the center is 1ct, I like the side stones to be .25ct each or smaller. This way they are more like accent stones than a true 3 stone look.

There is a chart on a previous thread that shows different percentage side stones with a center stone. Let me see if I can find it.

As far as if it is cheaper to buy the stones separately, I think it depends. You may be able to get better quality stones separately, but having something custom may or may not cost you more. If the ring is already sold with good quality sides, then I would just get the complete ring.

ETA: MrsSalvo found the chart I was referring to! Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh well... the sides will be 4mm (princess, right?) so 6mm center will look great, IMO.
31.gif

Look for the size (millimeters) of the stones rather than weight, because princess cuts tend to vary quite a bit: there are small and larger ones for the same weight although extremes are not common, as usual.

The sides need to be bought as a matched pair, otherwise it is difficult to believe they''d match ''blindly'' based on the details on a database like this here. Some settings come with the sides in place (it may even sound cheaper, because such sides usually come with instore grades as good as the seller wants them), otherwise, if you are looking for fine cut stones it would do some good looking for loose pairs.

Just my 0.2, as usual, hope it helps.
1.gif

ringsquares.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results