shape
carat
color
clarity

Halloween Candy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I raided the stash tonight...I bought out a small candy section at Target the other day so I could give out treats to the kids near here, assuming any trick or treat. I couldn''t handle the bag of Reese''s Assortment staring back at me so sadly...so I opened it. I have pigged on several items. I hope I leave stuff for kids.

So...what do you give to little kiddies?

My folks go to Sams/Costco and buy full-size bars like they would use in a concession stand. What''s left we get.
9.gif
LIke I need it. I bought those minis because I figure if I have more and get lots of kiddies I have more chances to hear bad jokes. If not many kids come, I can give 2-3 pieces per kid. And have some left over for ME.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Yummy! It''s too early to buy Halloween candy, because we have hungry ghosts in our house. But when I do, it will be....the classic tootsie rolls. Unfortunately, we live on 2 acres and don''t get any "Trick or Treaters" out here in the country....so the tootsies are for me!!
27.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LLLLOOOOOOOVE tootsies! I bought a couple 10 lb bags a couple weeks back. hehe. I also spotted a bag of ALL CHOCOLATE TOOTSIE POPS...oh how I love those.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My trick is to buy what I don''t like so I won''t be tempted. Then I am really bad cause I raid the kids bags when they are at school. But this year they are saying they won''t go out as they are too old. Guess I will buy what we all like and I won''t have to cheat!!!!
31.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Idon''t have anything to cheat on, even though I REALLY should.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I once went to a in-home "spa" party, where the ladies all got pedicures, and they used "baby" tootsie rolls to separate our toes while painting the toenails!! LOL

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s clever!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Tootsie Rolls are popular! We always give those out for Halloween. I buy those huge 4 pound bags of Tootsie stuff called Child''s Play that has a bunch of assorted candies, like the long skinny tootsie rolls, the short pudgie ones, the fruit flavored ones, the suckers, and the little boxes of Dots. My kids love the Dots the best. My favorites are the orange and vanilla flavored midgies. We also buy the little rolls of Smarties. The little kids really like those. And last year we also gave out little single serve bags of microwave popcorn. I love Halloween. I kind of cheat a little...I usually put on a costume when I take the kids out, and since I''m somewhat petite, a lot of people think I am just another kid, and they give me candy, too!
11.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Those vanilla mini tootsie rolls are wonderful!
36.gif

I always give out chocolate candy bars and then either Smarties or a Dum Dum lolipop with it. I buy candy bars that I like because if there are leftovers, I want to have something I like. I eat the left overs whether they are my favorite or not, so I may as well get what I like!

Candy bars that I buy: Snicker''s, Kit Kats, Baby Ruths, Reeces PB Cups, Nestle''s Crunch.

We got TONS of kids on Halloween here. We live on a long block with lots of houses close together so the kids can hit a lot of houses in a short amount of time. Last year I had to turn out our light because we were running out of candy! But by then it was mostly just big kids left so I didn''t feel too guilty.

Ame, I think the telling jokes thing is local to St. Louis. In other cities the kids just say "Trick or Treat!" and they get the treat. Only in St. Louis do we get to hear all the dumb jokes.
19.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I love flavored tootsie rolls, and now and laters...soo good. I had a wonderful time at the Target the other day pressing the little door bells and listening to the monster replies.
9.gif
I wanted to go on the candy aisle but I get through a 5lb bag alone in a single night if I am not careful so it is best for me to avoid it. But I am going home next week....wonder if Mother has any costco sized bags in the pantry yet.
27.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Oh man! I''m terrible about candy. I just LOVE it. I''m more of a fruity girl, though I enjoy an occassional godiva truffle here and there.

Being around middle school kids all the time, I know they love the sour candies. I always go to drugstores, buy a big bag of candy, eat what I want out of it, feel guilty, and then take the rest to school and give it to my students as prizes/rewards.

How much weight have I gained since I started teaching? Don''t ask!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Ame - We have not had a trick-or-treater at my house in about 10 years. When I was younger we''d get a kid or two or three.. but in the past few years, we have NONE, everyone goes somewhere like a development where houses are close together and its well lit. But, anyway.. my mom still buys a bag of reeses every year. So then I just HAVE to eat them. yummy

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
We go to costco and get a few 5lb variety bags, and then i also always get a bunch of spider rings. I make little bags of mixed candy and put the spider rings in it. I think they are cute...

Last year we didnt have that many kids. We are in an area that is developing and its all new homes, but across the street wasnt built yet, so not many trick or treaters leaving all the candy for me.

This year I''m having a small dinner party on halloween. I found a recipe for a pie with rum raisin icecream and pumpkin puree... that was enough inspiration to have friends over to help give out candy and eat.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
For the past couple of years, we''ve been on a blow-pop/tootsie-pop kick. The kids seem to like that.

Unfortunately though, we don''t really get many trick or treaters anymore.
8.gif
We live in a HUGE neighborhood with tons of houses and last year we got 3 sets of kids come by. Most people have been living here the same 18 years we have & I''m sure it has a lot to do with all the kids being post-college age by now. But kids from other neighborhoods used to come over here because it was so big & some people were notorious for giving out full-sized candy bars.

My personal favorites as a kid were krackel bars, tootsie rolls, sugar daddy''s, and mini milkay ways. I always gave away my Smarties to my one friend who LOVED them.

My friends still like to get dressed up for Halloween to go to parties and such. I get the most stressed out and always end up with the worst costume! My boyfriend waits until the last minute and always ends up with the best costume!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We don''t get that many either...so many go to the malls now. It''s so disappointing to me to see the tradition going away of house-to-house trick or treating...but I understand safety is an issue. I am hoping this year we get more now that our community is settled and there is another new community next to us. Seriously if I were the neighborhood kids, I would DEFINITELY come to our communities...not alot of walking and everyone waiting to give out candy. hahha.

So we buy it every year but usually just a big grab bag of the mixed small ones of stuff like Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Reeses and M&M''s or whatever is in the bag. Last year we went through 1/2 a bag I think. So nothing impressive. I also don''t eat alot of candy in general, so usually whatever doesn''t get eaten, Greg eats over the next few months and then I toss the rest.

I am debating decorating this year, one of our neighbors did a cool grave in the dirt thing with fake spiders and stuff from Michaels that looks fun so if I feel creative, it may incent the kids to come to our house too!
31.gif

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
haha where I live I swear we get 2 kids every year. sometimes 4 ( I think thats the max we''ve ever gotten). The houses are too far apart and although each house has large chocolate bars, pop cans etc.. kids want to be able to walk.
Not far from where I live there''s a sub-division, and each house gets an average of 300 kids in the night
23.gif

so, whereas we can buy a few large chocolate bars(or a bag of mixed chocolate-and later eat the rest) they end up having to buy those suckers and anything that comes with like a million in the bag..
31.gif

well HURRAY for a bit of privacy I guess,
but I miss seeing cute little kids in costumes..
7.gif

oh well more for us I guess..
21.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 10:59:36 PM
Author: ame
Idon''t have anything to cheat on, even though I REALLY should.

I hear that Ame! I have gained 10 lbs since college (4 years).
39.gif
39.gif
Yet I have no modivation to do anything about it. Oh well.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since being with my husband I swear its 30lbs. We did well on Atkins a couple years back but since I survive on Carbs...it was a hard life for me.

I could stand to do that again...

Patty I make those kids EARN their treats. haha!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I''m a chocolate gal and so I never liked the dots, gummie anthing, or suckers. I always go with the mini bars and we never never buy the candy until one or two days before. It''s too tempting.

We just moved here from Chicago where most people do the safe trick or treating before I even got home from work. Last year in this small town our place saw about 30 kids. I wore a mask when I answered the door and didn''t realize how many small kids I would scare
23.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
A couple years ago when my brother was still in HS we got him into this lion costume he borrowed from a drama teacher (who was the wife of his football coach). We forced him to go trick or treating at the neighbors and give out candy to the kids that came by. My sister and I are really easy to entertain...well a gaggle of really cute young ones got nervous when he was trying to give them their candy and he did his little "Im a lion" and made a cat scratch and said "Rarr" ...they freaked out and ran. It was cute but funny. The parents were dying.

Parents tend to give beers to other parents. I know my dad does sometimes, if he''s the one giving the candy out. That wouldbe a good treat.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I''ve never heard of kids going to MALLS for Halloween!

That''s just wrong!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea around here that''s not a huge deal. Kids are almost always in a gaggle with parents, I don''t think I have ever seen unattended kids.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really? OMG everyone around here goes to the malls where the stores hand out candy and it''s a safer environment (supposedly)...it''s sad for me because I used to go out with my parents and it was just as safe..we only went to neighborhood houses we knew. And all of us were fine. But I guess people are more cautious now? Anyway, I hope we get some kids this year...esp since we are dressing Portia up as a biker chick!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG I need photos.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 12:21:09 AM
Author: ame
OMG I need photos.

There will be TONS...it should be hilarious. Assuming of course you mean of the DOG in her outfit.
2.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
OMG I MUST SEE this little white biker chick!!!!! How adorable is that?!?!?! I think, in order for this biker ensemble to be complete, she needs a black leather collar with alternating platinum spikes and ACA''s....hehehehehe
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 12:47:45 AM
Author: HOUMedGal
OMG I MUST SEE this little white biker chick!!!!! How adorable is that?!?!?! I think, in order for this biker ensemble to be complete, she needs a black leather collar with alternating platinum spikes and ACA's....hehehehehe
31.gif
Haha what an idea!! So is there a PS donation fund for this? Hehehe. Then all the PS dogs can share it. Like that Today necklace..HAH!

Nahh... she's gettin' a plain old spiked collar from the store! We are going to spike her hair on her head, when it's dirty (aka right before her weekly bath!) it stays up (with help of hairspray) and a black leather vest. Hehe we have been talking about it for months!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
OMG!!!! That will be ridiculously adorable!!!!!!! HAHA!!! I can''t WAIT to see pics.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results