shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2005 8:23:02 PM
Author: pearcrazy
There are two more Zappa children. Their names are Diva and Ahmet.

Thank you. I tuned in and turned off. Or was that tuned out and dropped out? Whatever it is, I stopped paying attention. I am glad the Zappas were so prolific. :)

Deb

"Turn on, tune in, drop out"

Hamster

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 7:09:30 PM
Author: jaysonsmom

I had a co-worker named Kim Chi (like the Korean pickled cabbage dish)

I also had another co-worker named Phuc……poor guy.
My aunt is hamed Kim Chi and Phuc is also very common amongst Vietnamese. Yes, it is unfortunate that foreign language names don''t always sound so great in English. That is why my parents gave us an English name and a Vietnamese name, but made sure that the Vietnamese name didn''t sound "funny" to the English-speaking ear.

But there''s no excuse when you give your kid a really weird English name!

There is a lady at my company named Venus Commander. I got an email from her one day and it pops up in Outlook as "Commander, Venus". I didn''t think it was for real.

I went to highschool with three siblings named Chastity, Delight, and Charleston. Oddly enough, they were old money bluebloods and the two sisters were both Debutantes.

There was also a Precious at my highschool.

In an earnest attempt to give their son an "English" name, the parents of a guy I knew decided to rename their son while fleeing Vietnam as one of the boatpeople. They were picked up at sea by some cargo ship, which was carrying some containers full of Sony products. They liked the sound of it, so he was named Sony (like the electronics).

A friend of mine knew this guy that wanted to name his daughter Luscious. Everyone spent months trying to convince him it was a bad idea.

There was also a Professor Ball at my college. When I signed up for class, it noted that the instructor was "R. Ball" on my schedule. I thought to myself, "I hope his name is not Richard." Then I got to class, and the first thing he says is "my name is Dick Ball." I nearly fell out of my chair.

Well, my mom had wanted to name my half sister Ophelia, Desdamona, or Guinnevere, but settled on Jennifer instead. Nothing like going for extremes.

Not quite the same thing, but you know how email addresses are sometimes some truncated form of first initial, last name? A former coworker of mine was R. Baldassarre. At his first day of orientation at a former job, they were assigning out emails and the lady got to his and couldn''t stop laughing - it was "rbaldass". He asked his boss if they could change it, but she just kept laughing at it.

This thread is too funny, but it reminds me how unfortunate it is for the kids that get stuck with some of these names. Nothing wrong with being original, but what in the world would make someone name their kid "Audio Science"?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
This thread is great!

I''m a teacher, but in a really "white bread" district, so no intreresting spellings or names for my kids. I guess the most unusual I have had is a Gerilyn and a Kristalynn. I do have a Sirhan (Sir-han) this year, but I think it is a French name, because his last name is French. There was a student in my school last year who''s name is Corey Feldman (as in the 80''s teen star). His parents would have been teens in the 80''s, so I''m sure it was intentional. I giggled to myself everytime I heard it.

I have a LOT of Samanthas...last year I had three in one class AND they all had last names beginning with "R." I had to call them by their whole names all year! I also have had a lot of Nicholas/Nick, Michael/Mike (4 in one class), Amanda (3), Ryan, Jessica, etc. Pretty common.

When my Aunt was on her NICU roatation, there was a Female (rhymes with tamale) because the woman thought they had already named the baby for her when she looked at the bracelet. So I guess that one is common. There was also a Nosmoking (Noz-mo-king)...yep, from the No Smoking sign in the hospital.

On a final note, the baseball park near my house is "Harry Rash Field"

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2005 5:29:06 PM
Author: Hamster
Date: 10/3/2005 7:09:30 PM

Author: jaysonsmom

I had a co-worker named Kim Chi (like the Korean pickled cabbage dish)

I also had another co-worker named Phuc……poor guy.

My aunt is hamed Kim Chi and Phuc is also very common amongst Vietnamese. Yes, it is unfortunate that foreign language names don''t always sound so great in English. That is why my parents gave us an English name and a Vietnamese name, but made sure that the Vietnamese name didn''t sound ''funny'' to the English-speaking ear.

I used to tutor a Vietnamese girl and her name was "Dung". She was such a sweetheart but you can imagine that the kids at school were not very nice to her about it.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
When our first daughter was born, my husband wanted very much to name her "Crystal" but I just couldn''t do that. Unfortunately, sometimes one associates certain names with an unpleasant connotation or situation and with that name I thought of the red light district...sorry to anyone named Crystal out there. My hubby and I both knew girls named "Denise" and had had very negative experiences with them and decided early on that we were never to even consider that name for a daughter based on that. The name "Eric" is a very nice name, but because I was formerly engaged to a guy named that, my hubby said no to that even for a middle name. I loved the name "Sam" but I hubby had had a dog named Sam that passed away and he was very attached to him...so, once again, no. I kind of wish people would be careful naming their dogs or cats people names cause in conversation sometimes you might think its their actual child they are speaking of, when in reality, its their pet...which, I guess, is sort of like their kid...I guess...in a very abstract way. We have a friend who has a dog named "Steve" and sometimes in conversation you forget that Steve is a dog and ask a non-relevant question that pertains nothing to Steve the dog, hence my reasoning. My mother in law never had a daughter so she named her dog "Katrina" and that was a challenge to get used to.

On another note, one must be conscientous about what you name your child if you purposely shorten their name. My hubby''s name is Chris--not Christopher, nor Christian, or anything else close and people are always asking for his full name when we have filled out important papers, thinking it must be shortened for a full name. My mother in law did the same thing with my brother in law--Randy Fred.

Just thought I''d chime in...

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
When I was pregnant I told my husband that we couldn''t use any ex''s names for our children...first nor middle name. Unfortunately, that left several names off the list. I really like the name Adam for a boy, but since I dated an Adam in high school, and haven''t spoken to him in like 15 years, that name was still out of the running.

I too have friends that give their dogs people names and when they send out Christmas cards, they include their names on them. Last year my mom was looking at my cards and she saw one from one of my friends and she said "I didn''t know so-and-so had two kids!" and I said she didn''t, it was her dogs'' names.

We also tried to pick names that you couldn''t get a bad nickname from. For instance, my sister really liked the name Marty for a boy, but then someone pointed out he would always be called "Farty Marty" so she quickly dismissed that name.

OldBride

Rough_Rock
My husband was in love with Irish names, which are fine, however our last name is Nagano, which is Japanese. For our first child, he was toying with Brendan Nagano, Maureen Nagano and even Seamus Nagano, while I was pushing for Michael, David, Daniel, Elizabeth or Emily. I just couldn''t handle Seamus Nagano, which few people would be able to pronounce anyway. One of our friends suggested Stefano Nagano. Yeah, right.

Anyway, my older son turned out to be Aaron Aiji, a Hebrew first name and a Japanese middle name. When I was pregnant with our second child, my husband was in love with the name Max. At that time, Max wasn''t particularly popular,and from my cultural perspective (I''m Jewish) Max was a name for old men who smoked cigars and had Yiddish accents, because my grandmother had a cousin named Max who was exactly that. We compromised and named him Joseph Maxwell, but always called him Max. However, using his middle name as a first name is somewhat confusing for medical prescriptions, cashing checks(who''s Max??) and other petty annoyances.

I don''t recall either of my sons complaining about his name, and my older son is surely glad that he isn''t Seamus.

Deborah

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My only contention with my hubby was that he wanted to name ALL our kids after him (Jay). He wanted our firstborn to be Jay Jr. (which didn''t happen, hence the name Jayson). Then when we found out about our daughter, he wanted to name her Jaymie or Jayden!!! I put my foot down, and told him to stop with the egotistic mania......

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Then I got to class, and the first thing he says is ''my name is Dick Ball.'' I nearly fell out of my chair.
That is hilarious... i just fell out of my chair at work!

I laid in the hospital nameless until a few hours before i went home because my father was facing the fact that he hadnt made any of my brothers a Jr., so he was going to make me the Jr, or as close as he could get with girl names... Rhonda Lee.
14.gif
Thank goodness my mother held out!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
My oldest''s name is Ashlyn... when I wa pregnant I had never heard of an Ashlyn.. a lot of Ashley''s and some Ashlands but not Ashlyn''s... Now I hear of a ton.

My youngest name is Tara.. but Tara as in the plantation, but as in ''tar'' as Tara. A lot of poeple call her Tara (as in the plantation) she rarely corrects them anymore...LOL

vsylvia

Rough_Rock
the worst name i have ever heard was my first year psychology prof''s name, Dax Urbzat. hahahaha, it sounds like an alien''s name.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
A previous dentist I had, had a "what were his parents thinking name". Nothing outrageous, but together....EEEK

Garret Barret - what were they thinking???

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
In college I was waiting in the hallway of the music department and I saw a poster for the "Ima Hogg Music Competition."

How could anyone name their kid, Ima Hogg????

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 2:10:41 AM
Author: Jelly
In college I was waiting in the hallway of the music department and I saw a poster for the ''Ima Hogg Music Competition.''

How could anyone name their kid, Ima Hogg????
Supposedly she was one of three sisters the others being Youra and Werea....but I think they may have been making fun of a popular myth...

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
This is a great thread!!
Here are the names I chose for my three kids.
Christopher Andrew for my son. I chose it and my husband agreed to it and it was fairly easy to chose.

For my second, I couldn''t decide. I found it a lot harder picking a girls name than a boys. If she had been a boy, I would have named her Michael. When I asked my friend, she suggested Kayla and when I mentioned it to my husband, he said that was it. He didn''t want to pick another name at all.
I got to chose the middle name, so her name is Kayla Nicole.

For the most recent addition, again I had a hard time picking a girl''s name and really didn''t find one that my husband liked until July, I think. He didn''t like any of the names I picked. He wanted something easy to spell, two syllables.

I suggested the name Kara, but I felt it was too close to Kayla, but he loved it. Again, he said that was the name and he didn''t want to even bother hearing other names.

I think I finally decided on it because when I had my baby shower, we were playing a game where I had to put names into a bag, including the name I wanted to name the baby. I put KARA ANNE and KARA ANNE ELISA into the bag along with a bunch of other names.
My name is MaryAnne, so I was toying with the idea of naming the baby KaraAnne and having another middle name for her.

Everyone had to pull a name out of the bag and whoever picked the name I wanted, won the prize. Well guess who pulled the name out of the bag? My daughter Kayla. She actually pulled out Kara Anne, so it was then I decided to name the baby Kara Anne only, no other additional names.
2.gif

i think it''s just a coincidence that all three names start with the "k" sound. If I had had another boy, it would have been Michael.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/8/2005 12:48:13 PM
Author: butterfly 17
i think it''s just a coincidence that all three names start with the ''k'' sound.

A childhood friend, whose father''s name was, "Joe", was one of nine children, all of whose names began in a "J". She married a man who was one of nine children, all of whose names began in a "J". (They had two children. I don''t know with what letters their names began!)

The children in my friend''s family were:

Janet
Judy
Joel
Jeremy
Jessica
Jocelyn
Jevera
Justine
and
Johanna

Deborah

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Well Zeke Finn was born Tueday night!!!!

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations MingaGreen...I love the name you've chosen!!!

Our daughter...who is due in May...will be named Lilja (pronounced Lil--ee-yah) It's my maiden name...and her nicknames will be Lily or Lil. I grew up with a difficult name, but an ethnic one -- Kaarin...it's Finnish. I've grown to love it. I hope our little one will like being a bit different too. I do, however, as an English teacher, cringe at invented spelling of names that just don't require reconstruction!!!

klr
30.gif
prongs

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I know a Bryden and a Charis (girls). My son went to school with girls names, Princess and Precious (not related). Some people just don''t think before they name their children and end up with initials that are terrible. Children will find something to tease each other about. They all do it to each other, so why give them easy ammo with a strange name. I also had a cousin who name his daugher Magan so the spelling would be different. I really think some parents think they''re doing something unique for their children and what will make them popular, but they''re just not thinking. The whole Hollywood name game comes down to getting more attention. Remember, some in Hollywood are just bizarre anyway and what they name their children just confirms it.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2005 2:43:27 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 10/8/2005 12:48:13 PM

Author: butterfly 17

i think it''s just a coincidence that all three names start with the ''k'' sound.

A childhood friend, whose father''s name was, ''Joe'', was one of nine children, all of whose names began in a ''J''. She married a man who was one of nine children, all of whose names began in a ''J''. (They had two children. I don''t know with what letters their names began!)

The children in my friend''s family were:

Janet

Judy

Joel

Jeremy

Jessica

Jocelyn

Jevera

Justine

and

Johanna

Deborah

I know of a family whose 4 kids all have names that begin with Z.
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2006 8:57:59 AM
Author: Momoftwo
I know a Bryden and a Charis (girls).

"Charis" means, "grace" in Greek. Georgette Heyer named the younger sister of one of her heroines, Frederica, "Charis" which is the only reason I happen to know that!

Deborah

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Mina! Zeke Finn is a fantastic name for an adorable baby boy!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2006 8:26:24 AM
Author: mingagreen
Congratulations mingagreen. Zeke Finn is a great name!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2006 8:26:24 AM
Author: mingagreen
aww, congrats mingagreen! Zeke is a really cute name
1.gif

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/2/2006 1:49:31 PM
Author: AGBF

Date: 1/2/2006 8:57:59 AM
Author: Momoftwo
I know a Bryden and a Charis (girls).

''Charis'' means, ''grace'' in Greek. Georgette Heyer named the younger sister of one of her heroines, Frederica, ''Charis'' which is the only reason I happen to know that!

Deborah
That''s right and I actually know 3 girls named Charis. One about 27, one 13 and one 2. All through our church. It''s just unusual enough that they''re the onlyones I''ve ever met and they know each other and were each named after each other. The Ch is pronounced like a K.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all!!! We are doing really well, the name has stuck well although almost everyone we have told that his name is Zeke they all say "What is it?" Kind of annoying!

Here is a pic of him w/ his big sis Eden!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
sorry forgot the pic!

DSC01607_1.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mingagreen--Congratulation on Zeke!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is beautiful, and so is his sister. It is hard to be the older one. It''s great you are making Eden feel she has a special role! If guests don''t bring her a present when they bring one to Zeke, make sure you have something on hand to give her! Sharing your parents is bad enough. When everyone brings presents to the baby and wants to hold him, it can be unbearable!

All the best!

Deb

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on baby Zeke Finn! When I saw the name Finn, I thought- hm... (I like it) Well, my parents named me Amber and our last name was Brown. Amber Brown. All through school people would say, isn''t that a color? Ha ha. Like I didn''t know. My brother almost had it worse- they were going to call him Dark! It''s funny, someone mentioned awhile back having an irish first name with a japanese last name- well, my boyfriend and I want to call our children Aiden (boy) and Dannan (like the yogurt, I know, I know- I just love it anyway) but the last name is hispanic.
19.gif
People won''t really notice, will they? We got the name Dannan from our nephew''s favorite tv show- Jakers! . The main character (an irish pig) has a duck friend named Dannan (also irish). Whoops. We don''t really care, we like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results