shape
carat
color
clarity

Baby Names

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/4/2005 12:17:00 AM
Author: aphisiglovessae
Rhiannon, like the song from Fleetwood Mac? I love that song!

Yep. And I am a huge Fleetwood mac fan as well as a steve nicks fan..... :)

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2005 5:06:19 PM
Author: cinnabar

Date: 10/4/2005 4:55:41 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen

If there are any predujudices to unusual names, this thread only proves so. I feel really bad for children who are given strange names because it''s impossible to ignore them when they''re so bizarre. At the park, I always hear odd names, but I cannot even remember them all. The other day, I hear a parent call out ''Baker,'' and this name comes across as pretentious to me, for some reason.

A girl I went to school with called her daughters Blake and Niven. I have nothing against the names, but I think they''re just too boyish for girls. I''m not a big fan of using surnames as girls'' first names, eg Taylor. I like girls'' names to be feminine.
He he in my family the other three girls are Blair, Whitney, and Saxon...I am ALWAYS jealous as my name is "average" one I like all three better then mine even if they could be boys names. But then to me they have always been girls so maybe that is why I see them that way.

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Bill Lear, the guy behind the Lear Jet, and his wife named their daughter Shanda. Shanda Lear.
It''s true, but it sounds like you should here Paul Harvey''s voice saying - "Now you the rest of the story."
Bill

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2005 8:49:42 PM
Author: Capitol Bill
Bill Lear, the guy behind the Lear Jet, and his wife named their daughter Shanda. Shanda Lear.

It''s true, but it sounds like you should here Paul Harvey''s voice saying - ''Now you the rest of the story.''

Bill

OMG thats awful.

I remember when I was younger, my grandma used to read the Enquirer or one of those papers and they had a weird name contest. Two people tied for 1st place: Mr. Dill Pickle and Ms. Iona Hotel. I dont know why I remember that after all these years.

My friend also said she went to HS with Peter Pan and Rich Coffey.

Diamond Princess

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can totally relate with Jennifer... Everywhere you go, there are always tons of Jamie''s. In my graduating class, there were 6 of us and every last one had a different spelling!
20.gif
I guess my mom had the most sense of the bunch!
9.gif

You would think that Jamie is a pretty straight-forward spelling but you wouldn''t BELIEVE how many times people think that my name is spelled like the Hispanic version, Jaime.... ughh... I give up correcting people anymore.
40.gif

Kaleigh, I was actually bestowed the honor to name my baby niece and her name is Kalie Michelle....
9.gif
I absolutely love that name! Now I sort of wish I hadn''t used it! Tee hee

With all the names I have picked out, I will have to have a hundred children just to use them all!
9.gif

I always feel sorry for those poor children that the parents don''t take into consideration how they will ever fit in with their peers with some of the names that they give them. It would even be cruel to do that to an animal, let alone the fruit of your loins!
38.gif

35.gif

Jamie
www.whiteflash.com

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m a teacher and here are some common names for 11-12 year olds.

Madison- I''m wondering if that came from the movie, Splash, where Darryl Hannah the mermaid saw the street name and named herself Madison.

Morgan (3 girls named Morgan!)- How did that become so popular?

Mackenzie- Another very popular girl''s name

Tyler- Very popular for both boys and girls. I had 3 Tylers at one time!

They are perfectly normal names, but how did they get so popular with parents around 1993?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/4/2005 9:01:22 PM
Author: PunchNPie75

Date: 10/4/2005 8:49:42 PM
Author: Capitol Bill

It''s true, but it sounds like you should here Paul Harvey''s voice saying - ''Now you the rest of the story.''

Bill

OMG thats awful.

I remember when I was younger, my grandma used to read the Enquirer or one of those papers and they had a weird name contest. Two people tied for 1st place: Mr. Dill Pickle and Ms. Iona Hotel. I dont know why I remember that after all these years.

Myfriend also said she went to HS with Peter Pan and Rich Coffey .
My Maiden Name is Pan! My brother said he was going to name his firstborn son Peter as a joke.....I''m glad he doesn''t have children yet. My poor future nephew

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Don''t know where my post went!!!
I always liked the name Ethan for a boy but Eden and Ethan would be too much!! Like the name Morgan for a boy but Dh wants a name that is definatively MALE!!!

Some names my friends have used for their children:
Zion Josiah
Elijah Lake
Jaida Breeze
Jaida Brooke
Jagger
Marissa
Julia
Darcy Rowan
Chase
Aidia
Xavier
Zaliah
Raven
Talon
Kaya
One of my fav. names of a friend of mine is Rafer, I don''t know why but I love this name. I might help that he is such a unique genuine person!!!

micci

Rough_Rock
hi there- a newbie here.
my children''s names are...
son - Spencer Reid, but called Reid - both are family names
daughter - Fiona Claire.
I''m Scottish, as are my sons names, and my husband is Irish, hence my daughters name.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2005 11:36:31 PM
Author: Diamond Princess
You would think that Jamie is a pretty straight-forward spelling but you wouldn't BELIEVE how many times people think that my name is spelled like the Hispanic version, Jaime.... ughh... I give up correcting people anymore.

People ask about the spelling of names one thinks no one would ask about! I have the kind of last name that must always be spelled. My aunt told me that she has to spell her last name, too, however. And it is, "Franklin"! She said people will ask, is that "L-I-N or L-Y-N?". Once I made family reservations using that name and, sure enoguh, I was asked to spell it!

She named the older of her sons, "Terence". After debating on the spelling, she decided to use one "r" so that he would be able to remember how to spell it more easily. (When you have your first child you think the baby will be little forever. You don't think that after a few years he will learn to spell his name no matter what it is!) At any rate, that is why he is "Terence" and not "Terrence". He is also 52 years old and can spell his name.

Deb

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Boring names, Unusual names, different names, fun names, whatever floats your boat...when we name our child it is OUR business and no one elses.
11.gif
I can''t stand when someone thinks that they can give a pregnant woman THEIR opinion on a name. My oldest daughter is named Lauren. When I got pregnant with her baby sister, she really loved the name Taylor (she picked it)...since we liked it too we told her that he sister would be Taylor.....One day someone asked me (in front of Lauren) if we had a name. I personally don''t like to say anything until the Birth (because I can''t stand these OPINIONS that you get) but my daughter who was very excited and 4 yrs old at the time shouted out the name Taylor. Well this person says, Why would you want to name her a boys name? My daughter tells her," That isn''t a boys name that is my sisters name!" This woman tells me...oh you shouldn''t do that to your baby...and I told her , "Whatever I choose to name MY child is MY business and NO ONE elses. So next time you plan on sticking your 2 cents where they''re not welcomed, make sure you are ready for some feedback. She was floored....and my daughter was looking around ...I asked her what was she looking for...she said the 2 cents that they lady put somewhere.
9.gif

IndieQueen001

Rough_Rock
I feel your pain AGBF... my married name is Frost. I get called everything from Forst to Forest to Foster and I spell it to them!!! So finally I started saying "Frost, like Jack..." and then everyone gets it.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 10:25:43 AM
Author: atroop711
Boring names, Unusual names, different names, fun names, whatever floats your boat...when we name our child it is OUR business and no one elses.
11.gif
I can''t stand when someone thinks that they can give a pregnant woman THEIR opinion on a name.

I agree with you entirely here! We all have different likes and dislikes, and it''s natural to discuss them in a forum like this. Like saying "I prefer a classic solitaire e-ring" or "I like three-stone e-rings best". It doesn''t mean any implied criticism of anyone who has a ring of the style that isn''t our own preference. What''s horribly rude is going up to someone in person and saying "I don''t like your ring". Saying anything similar about children isn''t acceptable either.

My oldest daughter is named Lauren. When I got pregnant with her baby sister, she really loved the name Taylor (she picked it)...since we liked it too we told her that he sister would be Taylor.....One day someone asked me (in front of Lauren) if we had a name. I personally don''t like to say anything until the Birth (because I can''t stand these OPINIONS that you get) but my daughter who was very excited and 4 yrs old at the time shouted out the name Taylor. Well this person says, Why would you want to name her a boys name?

We have a similar story in our family. A neighbor once peered into my grandmother''s pram and asked what the name of the new baby was. My grandma announded "Roger", and the neighbor shrieked "Roger?! But that''s a DOG''S name!" I have never come across a dog called Roger in my life, but I suppose if this woman knew of one then she would associate the name with the dog and not with baby boys. Another reason to call pets Fluffy or Rover.

My daughter tells her,'' That isn''t a boys name that is my sisters name!'' This woman tells me...oh you shouldn''t do that to your baby...and I told her , ''Whatever I choose to name MY child is MY business and NO ONE elses. So next time you plan on sticking your 2 cents where they''re not welcomed, make sure you are ready for some feedback. She was floored....and my daughter was looking around ...I asked her what was she looking for...she said the 2 cents that they lady put somewhere.
9.gif

That''s a smart little girl you have there
1.gif
And I love the name Lauren, btw
1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 11:58:24 AM
Author: IndieQueen001
I feel your pain AGBF... my married name is Frost. I get called everything from Forst to Forest to Foster and I spell it to them!!! So finally I started saying ''Frost, like Jack...'' and then everyone gets it.

i have a family member with Fox as a last name. They get asked to spell it out ALL the time. I always thought that was funny when i was little. But i guess somewhere out there there''s a Foxx.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 1:46:12 PM
Author: jcrow

i have a family member with Fox as a last name. They get asked to spell it out ALL the time. I always thought that was funny when i was little. But i guess somewhere out there there''s a Foxx.

Fawkes? Fochs?

I know what you mean though, I have to spell "Karen" every time - everyone says "Is that with one or two r''s?" - despite my never having met a single person who does spell their name with two.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
There are Fox with two xx''s. The town I went to high school had 2 families with the last name Fox. One spelled it F-O-X and the other spelled it F-O-X-X. Heaven forbid you should mess up and misspell one of them''s last name. They seemed to be feuding just a bit.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
11.gif
I can''t stand when someone thinks that they can give a pregnant woman THEIR opinion on a name. My oldest daughter is named Lauren. When I got pregnant with her baby sister, she really loved the name Taylor (she picked it)...since we liked it too we told her that he sister would be Taylor.....One day someone asked me (in front of Lauren) if we had a name. I personally don''t like to say anything until the Birth (because I can''t stand these OPINIONS that you get) but my daughter who was very excited and 4 yrs old at the time shouted out the name Taylor. Well this person says, Why would you want to name her a boys name? My daughter tells her,'' That isn''t a boys name that is my sisters name!'' This woman tells me...oh you shouldn''t do that to your baby...and I told her , ''Whatever I choose to name MY child is MY business and NO ONE elses. So next time you plan on sticking your 2 cents where they''re not welcomed, make sure you are ready for some feedback. She was floored....and my daughter was looking around ...I asked her what was she looking for...she said the 2 cents that they lady put somewhere.
9.gif

My daughter''s name is Lauren too. I loved that name, and I''m always correcting people saying it''s Lauren as in Ralph Lauren, and not Loren.

OldBride

Rough_Rock
Being a lawyer, I receive the state bar magazine. The first thing I do, as does every other lawyer I know, is to see who has been disbarred. This month a lawyer named Cash Bonas (I kid you not) lost his ticket. Now that's a name that inspires trust and confidence.......

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with you in part. I think if I didn't have something nice to say about the name a friend or acquaintance was about to bestow on his child, that I would say nothing.

On the other hand, that doesn't mean one cannot think anything! I don't think much of calling a child, "Shanda Lear".

On the other hand (this would be the third hand), no one truly knows what "other children" will make fun of. I thought that the name, "Whitney" would be safe for my daughter. The initials didn't make any "nasty" combinations. (My 13 year-old daughter has already expresed her decision not to name any future daughter a name that starts with a "B" first name in case she marries a man whose last name starts with "S"!!!) There are no animals on television named, "Whitney". It seemed safe.

So I named her, "Whitney" and my aunt (former teacher) said children would can always find an insult and that they would call her, "nitwit" and "dimwit" and "half-wit".

Well, no on ever did, but they still found other things about which to make fun of her. Sometimes truly crazy things.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't try to make my child's name stand out, but I also realize I am powerless to control everyone in the world!

Deb

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
My daughter''s name is Lauren too. I loved that name, and I''m always correcting people saying it''s Lauren as in Ralph Lauren, and not Loren.

That is funny because people pronounce her name the same way too...or if not I have a bunch of dim-wits calling her Lawrence....what hell? IT IS LAUREN....like Lauren Bacall.........geez...

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
I like this thread a lot. :)

Atroop - that is a great story, and it is good to remind us that it really is the parents choice and no one elses what they''re child is called. I certainly don''t think that Taylor is a bad name for a girl at all! Both of your daughters have lovely names!

Jelly- It is funny how names get so popular in one year or another though, isn''t it? My cousins name is Morgan, and she was born in 88, and it was like NO ONE had ever heard of the name before we were all like "that''s a last name.. not a girls name!" (to be fair, it IS our last name, my aunts maiden name).. and then all of a sudden, a few years later, every little girl was named Morgan.
I also know a Tyler (girl) who is about 11 or 12. :) It must be fun being a teacher and seeing how the name trends change each year or so.

micci- What FABULOUS names! Fiona Clare sounds so pretty, like a little princess.. And Spencer Reid so refined and gentleman like..

And as for spelling, no one can ever spell Melissa either.. Especially my brother-in-law.. He''s only been married to my sister for 10 years, you''d think he''d have figured it out by now.. BUT! I have to forgive him, because yesterday, my father spelled my sisters name for someone and mispelled it!!! He is her step-father, and she is rarely, if ever reffered to by her full name, but STILL!!! (Her name is Corinne, he spelled it Corrine, but she is always always called Cori, which in turn gets spelled Cory, Corey, Corie on all sorts of things, including the programs from the church for all her kid''s baptisms)

My neices both have fairly unusual names, but I actually like that, since my name is really common. My youngest neice though.. Her name is Kennedy, which I LOVE, but my sister was THISCLOSE to naming her Kennedy Reagan (she was born about a week after Ronald Reagan died too) My sister claims the only reason she DIDN''T name her Kennedy Reagan was that Reagan had just died.. but even if she had.. poor Kennedy would have had to explain to all her friends why the heck her parents named her after two presidents.. They picked Kennedy Riley instead, but I think that it was just for lack of anything better to call her, and it doesn''t really fit her at all.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention....people not only pronounce Lauren wrong...but they call my baby whose name is TAYLOR....I have 2 women in my area calling her TYLER....ot TYLO.....HELLO....people give me a break.
38.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
This isn''t an unusual baby name, but there is a friend of the family whose last name is K-I-L-L, as is murder. No joke. One of the boys is a surgeon and he fortunately legally changed his last name to his mother''s maiden name. He got a lot of grief in his residency as Dr. Kill.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2005 3:41:18 PM
Author: AGBF

I agree with you in part. I think if I didn''t have something nice to say about the name a friend or acquaintance was about to bestow on his child, that I would say nothing.

On the other hand, that doesn''t mean one cannot think anything! I don''t think much of calling a child, ''Shanda Lear''.

On the other hand (this would be the third hand), no one truly knows what ''other children'' will make fun of. I thought that the name, ''Whitney'' would be safe for my daughter. The initials didn''t make any ''nasty'' combinations. (My 13 year-old daughter has already expresed her decision not to name any future daughter a name that starts with a ''B'' first name in case she marries a man whose last name starts with ''S''!!!) There are no animals on television named, ''Whitney''. It seemed safe.

So I named her, ''Whitney'' and my aunt (former teacher) said children would can always find an insult and that they would call her, ''nitwit'' and ''dimwit'' and ''half-wit''.

Well, no on ever did, but they still found other things about which to make fun of her. Sometimes truly crazy things.

The bottom line is that I wouldn''t try to make my child''s name stand out, but I also realize I am powerless to control everyone in the world!

Deb
He he...Deb I am PMing you

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I know of someone who recently named his daughter Echo. Isn''t that horrible? I mean, there''s no way she won''t be teased. In elementary school there was a guy named Rainbow who had a sister Sandia (the spanish word for watermelon). My guess is their parents had been hippies.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I cannot remember who but didnt a celeb named one of their children Moon Unit? Seriously sometimes I wonder if people are high when picking out their kids names. Like growing up is not hard enough.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
This is such an interesting thread!!!! I found that as I had my kids everyone had an opinion or two, irregardless of whether I wanted to hear it or not. My kids names are: Melanie Brooke, Ryan Scott, Lynzee Rose, Jason Matthew, Brennan, Alex James, Nicholas Jordan, Austin Mitchell and Christian Thomas. This was not an easy feat! Family names on my hubby''s side were not suitable for consideration (Cecil, Voyle, Larvin, Duncan, Garn, Marquita,...see what I mean?!) and my hubby didn''t like my other choices for our sons (Ian, Connor, Colin, Noah...to name a few). If we had had another daughter, we would have named her Isabella.

Our last name is misspelled at least once a week--which is weird, cause it is common, I think. Campbell has been spelled Cambell, Kambell, Campell, and Kambbell. Can you believe it?!
emcrook.gif

Now that my oldest son is engaged, he and his fiancee have started talking names for their future kids (which I said can wait for a couple or 3 years!
emotion-5.gif
I want them to get used to being husband and wife b4 any little ones arrive on the scene!). I am doing my best to be a guide to not have them name any of my future grandkids strange and bizarre names! I had a wiser mother than I tell me once that after giving life to our kids, giving them a decent and good name is the next gift...and that one has impact every day of their life!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of these names are hilarious!!

I read that Nicolas Cage named his new baby Kal-El after Superman...now that is just wrong! www.thesuperficial.com reported it and said that they thought he'd be spending alot of his recesses in the nurses' office with Gwynnie's kid, Apple...
20.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2005 6:31:13 PM
Author: Matatora
I cannot remember who but didnt a celeb named one of their children Moon Unit?

That was Frank Zappa of "The Mothers of Invention" (a very far out 1960s and 70s rock band). His son was Dweezel and his daughter was Moon Unit. She''s probably 40 by now!

Deb

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
There are two more Zappa children. Their names are Diva and Ahmet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results