shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for finding ''''The Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a lot of ladies out there doing this solo so I thought I''d add some tips I''ve learned along the way and PLEASE feel free to add to this!

Research
Well, for starters come here! Save any and all pictures of rings, settings, stones etc. that you like. I have a word document that I keep pasting helpful hints from members here onto. Bookmark sites too...a nice way to direct the love of your life to the ring.
21.gif
If you find something in a store that you like, make sure you get a business card with the sales representative''s name, plus a good description of what you were looking at, not just a number or code. If you have a favorite vendor make sure you''ve got their toll-free number in a handy place.

Communicate
An open discussion about timing, budget and how much time and energy your significant other wants to invest in the search for ''The Ring'' will help put you two on the same page. It''s in your best interest to be honest and frank about this! Doesn''t hurt to do a little prodding vs. chewing your nails with impatience!

*Some significant others do not want to be involved and some want to do EVERYTHING! Make sure you ask why. My boyfriend said that he feels very uncomfortable and pressured to accompany me to talk with vendors and jewelers...
23.gif

Be Creative
If you''ve been handed the reins yet still want to keep an element of surprise, try compiling a list of err, options. Pick your favorite setting and compile a list of stones you like or "set" a criteria ie. H&A G-I, VS1-SI1, 0.75-1.00 carat. If you have a vendor in your area you feel comfortable with they can probably create a running list for you if you have a general idea of what you''re looking for. Or if you fall in love with a particular stone and there''s a good chance that it''ll be around for a while find several settings you love.
28.gif

Keep an open mind and heart
When I first started looking I had no idea what I wanted and the more I shopped around the more confused I became about what I really wanted. Then one day I went to see a vendor who worked with beautiful H&A Ideal diamonds and fell in love with a simple solitaire, something I NEVER thought I''d pick but I did. Yes I still drool over other sparklies I see but what makes me feel good inside is that whatever ring I receive will be a gift from the person I love and that''s all that matters!
36.gif

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
to add 2 cents to very good advise. when you are looking for styles and settings.. be SURE you go someplace and TRY THEM ON!!!
21.gif

when my girlfirend started her shopping, it was all via web sites and what she saw on co-workers. she was surprised to find that she liked something different on her finger.

im still going thru the process. and from a guys POV shopping together and learning what each other likes has been wonderful. i am learning what she finds important and likes in a daimond and setting, but in the end, she wont know what exactly i will do... but knows the direction i will be taking (should cut down on the anxiety a little i hope)
2.gif

*** a tip on shopping and learning. go someplace and play dumb... dont disclose any knowledge you have gained here. the salesperson will be more likely to show you a little of everything. this also gives you an oppertunity to check how honest the sales person is with you
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results