shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay customs question (Japan into US)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am considering bidding on something but have never had to deal with customs before. How does this work...? I'll posts two screen shots in a sec with info from the seller's listing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_15289.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

img_15290.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I've bought online from India, China, Great Britain, Canada, various places... I've never had to do anything on my end (in the US). I don't *think* it's any different with Japan. I don't believe you'll have any fees or anything on your end; I know it can apply to other countries, but I don't believe it should affect you in the US. It will just take a bit longer for you to receive your item, and it will have to clear customs (and you may need to sign for it. Sometimes I've had to sign for really cheap stuff too and have no idea why; I just suspect it may have to do with it being international?)

Sorry that I don't have more to add, but I know it's the weekend and slower around here, so I thought I'd chime in until someone can definitively/100% tell you?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I bought my alexandrite from MC, it was shipped to me (in the states) from Thailand (where MC is) via FedEx, who reported the shipment to the state & fed, and I did have to pay state import or sales/use taxes on it, even though it was not a finished piece of jewelry (just the loose stone). I believe a finished piece of jewelry may incur both.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1488145145|4134041 said:
When I bought my alexandrite from MC, it was shipped to me (in the states) from Thailand (where MC is) via FedEx, who reported the shipment to the state & fed, and I did have to pay state import or sales/use taxes on it, even though it was not a finished piece of jewelry (just the loose stone). I believe a finished piece of jewelry may incur both.

I've also bought loose gems from Thailand, but never had to pay any fees. Possibly it depends on the value; and it could definitely depend on what the seller writes on the form.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Kath and Jenn! The item is a pre-owned Cartier ring. Maybe I should just ask the seller (but it's the middle of the night over there and the auction ends soon). Wish I would have seen this at least a day ago so there would have been more time for me to correspond with the seller. Or maybe this is the ebay god's way of telling me I don't really need this thing (just like I don't need any of the other stuff I get off of there either!). I would just hate to buy something because it's a good deal only to get some crazy tax/customs fee slapped on.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1488145421 said:
I've also bought loose gems from Thailand, but never had to pay any fees. Possibly it depends on the value; and it could definitely depend on what the seller writes on the form.

And what state you live in. NC was all about getting that couple hundred dollars, even after I provided IRS documentation showing the fed didn't collect tax on loose stones. And it was almost a year later, I think, when they sent me the letter and demand for payment, with late charges (which they later waived).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1488145698|4134049 said:
I would just hate to buy something because it's a good deal only to get some crazy tax/customs fee slapped on.

Can you do some googling of your state's tax regs online, and see what they say? I would be happy to help, but don't know the state.

Yes, I am an enabler. :angel:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1488145811|4134050 said:

And what state you live in. NC was all about getting that couple hundred dollars, even after I provided IRS documentation showing the fed didn't collect tax on loose stones. And it was almost a year later, I think, when they sent me the letter and demand for payment, with late charges (which they later waived).

Did you have to pay the tax, even after giving them IRS documentation?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1488145996|4134052 said:
I would just hate to buy something because it's a good deal only to get some crazy tax/customs fee slapped on.

Can you do some googling of your state's tax regs online, and see what they say? I would be happy to help, but don't know the state.

Enablers Are Us -- isn't that the PS motto?!

I'm in Illinois and this state is in need of very penny. They might not only charge me tax on what I buy, but also on things I only *think* of buying! Off to google though -- thank you for the suggestion!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1488145811|4134050 said:

Yes, definitely could depend on the state too!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought a couple Tiffany things from Japan on ebay and have not had to do anything on my end. Just sign at delivery.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1488146134|4134055 said:
JoCoJenn|1488145996|4134052 said:

Enablers Are Us -- isn't that the PS motto?!

I'm in Illinois and this state is in need of very penny. They might not only charge me tax on what I buy, but also on things I only *think* of buying! Off to google though -- thank you for the suggestion!

Mmmm Cartier...I want you to get it!! LOLOL. I hope you find the info you need :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this which may help on the Fed side: http://www.dutycalculator.com

I don't know how accurate or legit it is, but Pitney Bowes isn't some no-name company in Bescamistan.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just note that site has a limited number of 'free' uses.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what the value of the ring is, but I have bought things many times over the years from Japan (vintage scarves and purses) and haven't personally had any issues with import duty, and I think it is just luck of the draw. I think under a certain value, it tends to slide through. And if they are using Japan Post (EMS) which is like International Express, then it has less of a coincidence with customs from what others have said (and from my experience as well). However, I have never bought anything from Japan valued over $1K, and no jewelry (did you get it authenticated?) so don't have any experience with that.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The calculator (thank you for that!) says $62, which I would be fine with. I guess there could also be state sales tax on top of that, which would be another hundred bucks or so (which i'm also fine with but at some point if there are any other fees on top of those to potential ones I am starting to be less fine...).

The piece is a little over $1K (I wonder if that's some sort of magic trigger number...?). It's being listed as an authentic (box but no paperwork) and I would take it to Cartier to get polished (even though it's just been polished according to the listing) and if it wasn't real I would have to rely on eBay, Pay Pal and/or Am Ex (which is what what my Pay Pal account is tied to). I don't have any reason to think it's NOT real, but since you never know I guess it is definitely a risk.

Hmmm... what to do... what to do... :think:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, do you happen to recall what shipping method was used?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IIRC the shipping was $35 and I tried to get them to lower it LOL. The value for one was $325. Maybe the fees are included in the shipping. It was pretty fast, like a week.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1488147959|4134067 said:
The calculator (thank you for that!) says $62, which I would be fine with. I guess there could also be state sales tax on top of that, which would be another hundred bucks or so (which i'm also fine with but at some point if there are any other fees on top of those to potential ones I am starting to be less fine...).

The piece is a little over $1K (I wonder if that's some sort of magic trigger number...?). It's being listed as an authentic (box but no paperwork) and I would take it to Cartier to get polished (even though it's just been polished according to the listing) and if it wasn't real I would have to rely on eBay, Pay Pal and/or Am Ex (which is what what my Pay Pal account is tied to). I don't have any reason to think it's NOT real, but since you never know I guess it is definitely a risk.

Hmmm... what to do... what to do... :think:

Well, as a tpf member who sees a lot of authentication questions, I can say that it would no likely be as easy as that.

I see this in the Hermes and Channel subforum a lot. People used to be using taking bags to spa and seeing if they would be accepted for repair as a free "authentication" and I believe they started cracking down on that. Tiffany as well, if I am not mistaken.

When you receive something that you believe is unauthentic, it's not a simple task of tell eBay and they fix it. Once the object is in your hands, you have to PROVE with a written affidavit from a ebay approved authentication source, that something is not authentic. And it can costs hundreds of dollars to do it. I do believe TPF has a Cartier subforum, and they do authentications, so you might post it there though I don't know how much traffic that section gets. I do know that it is not a simple "this is fake" and you get your cash back. It's a lot more involved.

The good news is (and I have bought Hermes and Channel vintage items from Japan) that there are a fair amount of reputable Japanese vendors.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that you won't be responsible for customs fees unless it costs over a certain amount. I haven't had to pay any customs fees from gemstones, etc, but they've all been under 1K.

My guess is that even if you are responsible for some fees, they'll be relatively small (under $100). I wouldn't let it stop you from buying something you want if it's a good deal but it's something to take into account in terms of price.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bunnycat, that you for that info about authentication.

Lovedogs, I agree the (small) fees shouldn't factor much into my decision. Now that I know they are indeed small fees (when I started this thread I had no idea if they would be $1 or $1000 or anywhere in between) I feel better. What I DON"T feel better about is that the auction ended without me buying the thing and now it's been relisted... at a higher price. Ugh.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1488172337|4134195 said:
Bunnycat, that you for that info about authentication.

Lovedogs, I agree the (small) fees shouldn't factor much into my decision. Now that I know they are indeed small fees (when I started this thread I had no idea if they would be $1 or $1000 or anywhere in between) I feel better. What I DON"T feel better about is that the auction ended without me buying the thing and now it's been relisted... at a higher price. Ugh.

At a higher price??? WTH? if I were you I'd write the seller and say you were considering buying it, but at the originally listed price. It can't hurt to try!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results