shape
carat
color
clarity

Just paid $11.4k for this stone. How'd I do?

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen it in person? How does it look?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please post the ASET image.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you have a photo of the actual stone or did you buy off the numbers?

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock
Tophat1|1488077756|4133746 said:
Have you seen it in person? How does it look?

Looks like a diamond which I suppose is a good thing. It sparkles fine and I don't see any inclusions. I'm happy with it, just want to know if I got a decent deal

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock
whitewave|1488078113|4133749 said:
Please post the ASET image

No ASET as I bought in person from the jewelry district.
It looks good in real life

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock
bmfang|1488078249|4133750 said:
Do you have a photo of the actual stone or did you buy off the numbers?
The stone is at home. I guess I can post a pic tomorrow if that would help

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you liked it enough and you bought it so that's that. I'm sure she will love that it came from you. post hand shots!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did some quick searching before at BGD and G SI1 there that's 1.5ct and BG Blue which is $15.4k. However, that's an AGS 000 Ideal which is cut to super-ideal proportions so we aren't necessarily comparing apples with apples here.

If you're happy with the stone, that's the main thing. This stone personally doesn't quite fit my tastes but that's me, not the OP. Would love to see some shots of the stone unmounted or mounted! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1488078835|4133755 said:
Well, you liked it enough and you bought it so that's that. I'm sure she will love that it came from you. post hand shots!
Not if he can return it... ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About_To_Propose|1488077381|4133743 said:
How'd I do?
Cut too deep! .The cutter was aiming for the 1.5ct weight target.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The weight of your stone is in the depth, not where people can see it. It faces up like a smaller than 1.5 carat stone because of that. It also has an HCA above 2.

There isn't a good selection of stones online at the moment because of Valentine's Day. Are you proposing this weekend? Which city's diamond district did you go to? People here may know a contact.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your purchase. Does your intended know much about diamonds?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me show you a graphic. Here are two 1.5 carat diamonds, yours is on the left:

Your 1.5 ctw diamond: 7.24 x 7.30 x 4.57 mm

Ideal cut 1.5 ctw diamond on right: 7.35 x 7.38 x 4.52 mm (CBI at HPD for anyone interested)

img_2283.png

Let me stress again though: at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your diamond. I'm glad you didn't buy the over 4 HCA diamond.

About_To_Propose

Rough_Rock
So the consensus is that I messed up huh?

The other diamond I was considering had the inclusions right in the middle of the table and it was bothering me to know that. Also the HCA was 4.something.

Besides me paying too much, is the diamond decent at least?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About_To_Propose|1488132538|4133945 said:

The other diamond I was considering had the inclusions right in the middle of the table and it was bothering me to know that. Also the HCA was 4.something.

Based on quick research, I think you paid a fair price for what you got.
Regarding light performance, 57/35.5/40.8 combo can be beautiful and stunning. It is not a super ideal cut, but I say better than decent.
Of course, the depth of 62.8% is not desirable as other members said.

You did not mess up, although you could have done better. We would like to pay a great price for a great stone, instead of a fair price for a decent stone. :naughty:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like above, you could have done better, but I wouldn't say you "messed up".... I think you paid an ok price for an average stone. Is it sparkly? Does it catch the light well? When you look at it, do you think wow, this is fascinating and I can't take my eyes off of it? What does your mom think, or your friend, or your friend's GF?

When we bought my original engagement ring in 1993, we walked in a jewelry store because they had an ad: .75 $1,000. We saw it, thought it was sparkly and bought it. It's not certified and its an I1. Did I die? No. Was my life negatively impacted? No. Did everyone look at it and say "meh"? No. In fact, I got lots of compliments on it, especially when the flashes caught people's eyes. The only reason I upgraded it was because it became too small over the years.

Did you ask the jeweler what the upgrade policy is?

So you bought a diamond for the price you wanted even though we could have found a better stone.... but did you DIE? :drool:

We would love to see a photo of it just because we love looking at diamonds,

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Just paid $11.4k for this stone. How'd I do?1

About_To_Propose|1488132538|4133945 said:

I think you paid a fair price for a stone that is a decent stone which is far better than a lot of diamonds bought at mall jewellers. With a HCA of 2.8, it does state that such a diamond is worth buying if the price is right. We'd all love to see the stone as we're diamond junkies :D

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, given what's out there it is probably better than average.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results