shape
carat
color
clarity

So how long would you wait to pull the plug...

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
On a diamond you were consigning? It's been 7 months. Should I go a year? Just seems SO long?
Thanks for the advice in advance!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it depends how quickly you want/need to get the money back from the sale?

Have you tried posting a link in the preloved section above? That will increase exposure a bit.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your other options? Why do you think it hasnt sold? 7 months does seem like a long time...

- is it not getting enough exposure where its at?
- is it priced to high?
- have you created links in the pre-loved forum, Diamond bistro and Loupe Troop?

If you give us more detail on the stone we might have some other ideas that could help (maybe).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Is it consigned locally, online? Maybe it's priced too high? Maybe make it clear you're open to reasonable offers? Are you consigning just the diamond, or as a piece of jewelry? Sometimes I wonder if a loose diamond is more appealing than a stone that's set, so if it's in a piece, maybe unsetting and having loose photos taken would help?

Also, definitely list on LoupeTroop, Diamond Bistro, in the Pre-Loved forum, etc.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had diamonds take that long to sell. But I agree with the others, sometimes there are reasons a diamond doesn't sell quickly. The two main ones are pricing too high or specs are not in the most popular range.

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies everyone! It's being consigned loose with a big vendor often mentioned here so I know I can't advertise it. Seems priced well and a very attractive round brilliant. Honestly I don't think they're pushing it to customers enough, I just get that feeling. Thinking I may take it back soon as 7 months going on 8 is too long in my opinion.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a price reduction?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkleLady|1487870990|4132614 said:
Thanks for your replies everyone! It's being consigned loose with a big vendor often mentioned here so I know I can't advertise it. Seems priced well and a very attractive round brilliant. Honestly I don't think they're pushing it to customers enough, I just get that feeling. Thinking I may take it back soon as 7 months going on 8 is too long in my opinion.

You could still post it in Preloved, I've definitely seen posts there pointing people in the direction of a stone consigned with a vendor.

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
Snowdrop13|1487886477|4132725 said:
SparkleLady|1487870990|4132614 said:

You could still post it in Preloved, I've definitely seen posts there pointing people in the direction of a stone consigned with a vendor.
Ok I will plan to do that thanks!

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
PintoBean|1487874469|4132638 said:
How about a price reduction?
Price is set on lower end compared to others so it's not the price. Maybe it's the specs, it's in the 2+ carat range (round) and I've noticed a lot of people are currently in the market for smaller sizes or different cuts. What would you suggest I tell the consignor to get them to push my stone to potential buyers?

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1487853408|4132504 said:
What are your other options? Why do you think it hasnt sold? 7 months does seem like a long time...

- is it priced to high?
- have you created links in the pre-loved forum, Diamond bistro and Loupe Troop?

If you give us more detail on the stone we might have some other ideas that could help (maybe).
I don't want to reveal too much info as to not steer people away from considering it. I don't think it's getting enough exposure where it's at. It's priced on the lower end so I know it's not that. What would you suggest I tell the vendor in order to get it more exposure and SOLD!?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkleLady|1487993481|4133348 said:

- is it priced to high?

I don't want to reveal too much info as to not steer people away from considering it. I don't think it's getting enough exposure where it's at. It's priced on the lower end so I know it's not that. What would you suggest I tell the vendor in order to get it more exposure and SOLD!?

I think you should talk to the vendor and ask them why they think its not selling. If they dont have a good reason then put it with
another vendor.

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1488033510|4133463 said:

- is it priced to high?

I think you should talk to the vendor and ask them why they think its not selling. If they dont have a good reason then put it with
another vendor.
Ok will do! Thanks tyty333!

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1488033510|4133463 said:

- is it priced to high?

another vendor.
Hi tyty333, I'm about to write the vendor but just have a question: is it appropriate to have them reimburse me for shipping my diamond to them in the first place? Or should I just ask them to pay to ship it back since they were unsuccessful selling it?
Thanks!

BELLA9280

Shiny_Rock
it took me about a year to sell my engagement ring i first sold it in 5 months then that sale fell through i lowered the price and sold it 5 months later. it def takes time!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I dont know what to tell you...I've never sold a stone with a vendor. I would think the shipping cost would be on you both ways (just my opinion which is neither here nor there). They did not make any money off the deal so not sure why they should have to cover
it (except out of the goodness of their heart).

See if some other folks have some input on who should pay for shipping because I dont really know.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding the shipping costs, those kinds of things are best agreed to upfront. Having said that, you can look at consignment as a loan. The jeweler is getting a free asset with which he/she has the potential to make money. It is not unreasonable that they cover expenses such as shipping and insurance in return for that privilege.

One of the problems with consignment is that because the jeweler does not have an investment in the piece, they also have little motivation to go above and beyond for you in trying to sell it. Especially if they have other things like it which they do have their money in. Consignment pieces are often just case fillers for some jewelers.

There are other potential problems with consignment, which is why it is important to make sure you are dealing with the right jeweler, like those that come well recommended on this forum.

SparkleLady

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1489014759|4138174 said:
Regarding the shipping costs, those kinds of things are best agreed to upfront. Having said that, you can look at consignment as a loan. The jeweler is getting a free asset with which he/she has the potential to make money. It is not unreasonable that they cover expenses such as shipping and insurance in return for that privilege.

One of the problems with consignment is that because the jeweler does not have an investment in the piece, they also have little motivation to go above and beyond for you in trying to sell it. Especially if they have other things like it which they do have their money in. Consignment pieces are often just case fillers for some jewelers.

There are other potential problems with consignment, which is why it is important to make sure you are dealing with the right jeweler, like those that come well recommended on this forum.
Thank you for the valuable feedback and information, Texas Leaguer! Nice to hear a different perspective from someone in the trade.
I think I will wait a couple more months to see if someone buys it and then I will contact vendor to take it back.
Thanks!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SparkleLady|1489087050|4138504 said:
Texas Leaguer|1489014759|4138174 said:

Thank you for the valuable feedback and information, Texas Leaguer! Nice to hear a different perspective from someone in the trade.
I think I will wait a couple more months to see if someone buys it and then I will contact vendor to take it back.
Thanks!
It probably would not hurt to let them know that you intend to do something else if not sold within (x) months. I also think it's reasonable to ask them if there are currently any interested parties, which could lead into a discussion of whether they are doing all they reasonably can do to attract a buyer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results