shape
carat
color
clarity

Seaglow's Finds

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They turned me away as I didn't bring my passport with me and it's not something I want to carry around with me. Heading back to the hotel now and calling it a day.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Burmesedaze|1487997403|4133368 said:
They turned me away as I didn't bring my passport with me and it's not something I want to carry around with me. Heading back to the hotel now and calling it a day.

Sorry to hear that. :( but you will go tomorrow?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, a day of shopping and good food has fortified me and restored my spirits. Will pop by for a couple of hours.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My full color change alexandrite set as a pendant.

Very nice green in daylight with a very slight hint of blue to a pure purple in incandescent light. Stone is only 0.64 carat with a natural crystal inclusion, origin is from India. Set in 18k WG with diamond melees.

Top left showed in indoor diffused wight lighting, top right in incandescent light, bottom left in direct sunlight (registering in photo as blue but in reality a green almost same as top left photo, only brighter), bottom right in indirect daylight (photo registering as purple but in reality also a green color).

image_1463.jpg

image_1465.jpg

Also got this copper-bearing electric green tourmaline at the Bangkok Fair. Included but amazing radioactive green color. Stone from Mozambique.

In direct sunlight (apologies for the fingerprint smudges)...
image_1466.jpg

In indoor light...

image_1467.jpg image_1468.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oooh nice green. Saw nothing like them on Sunday :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh...I love those electric green tourmalines. :love:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Burmesedaze and Elle!

The good thing about the greens is I selected them from a parcel of paler stones. The seller has fantastic colored windex and swimming pool blues and blue greens but since this type of green is rare, not commercially viable, and not the market demand, it was a fraction of the cost of the blues! I interviewed the African seller and I asked him more about these type of greens, and he said it was difficult to find and returned the question to me - do you see anymore greens from my stock? That's just it.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good choice :clap: I'd rather go for what's hard to find.

I didn't see any African sellers too. You were right, they must have already packed up by Sunday :-o

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Burmesedaze!

My recent purchase is a big one.

Got myself a grape garnet! 14.45carats. For big purchases, I usually only accept a lab brief from labs that I know. But in this case I can confirm the inclusions myself as unheated rhodolite. I love looking at 100x magnification as it has interesting needle and crystal inclusions.

image_1469.jpg

image_1470.jpg

image_4547.jpg

image_1471.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WOW. Would you be setting it? :love:

You make me want to get one too!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm sure you could. Throw in some big Burmese peridots!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I forgot to answer your question
...yes I'll most likely set it as a pearl enhancer pendant...or a cocktail ring...but most likely an enhancer with neon pink or red spinel melees and diamonds on a double halo.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
:shock: :shock: ! I LOVE your new gigantic garnet! I also love your setting ideas. Can't wait to see how this one plays out. I love the idea of red spinel Melee around it. You could do something like Beyonces sapphire ring! I'll try and attach picture later.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks austinj! Yes, I'd definitely would like to see the photo! :)

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Ok here you go! Your rich purple garnet with delicate red spinel halo.. ahh it would be gorgeous!

img_15601.jpg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow. Blue on blue looks exquisite! Thanks for the photo austinj!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How about customising a setting that lets you wear it both as a pearl enhancer and clips tightly onto a ring too?

I like pink so the pink spinels have my vote :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got a couple of Thai sapphires straight from the mine. I reserved to order for a couple of big cleaner stones stones among a batch that came out fresh from the mine. They are cut for weight so they are windowed. The roughs are mostly bi-colored yellow and green, so the pavilions aren't usually deep and honestly quite thin for most stones. I selected stones with a decent depth. They are traditionally heated (no diffusion), with the green a bit dark which is common for Thai green sapphires. The stone is 6.73 carats. The other stone is a Mekong whiskey color at 5.32 carats.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a red Burmese spinel that holds its bright color in every lighting. It doesn't turn brownish, the most it gets is a blood red or a stoplight red and neon in some lighting. It is included though and it is at 1.15 carats. The inclusions though appear in some lighting (in others the inclusions are not pronounced) but look like fireworks inside so I decided to have it set in a half eternity band with diamond melees in 18k white gold.

Here are the photos of the spinel:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I also had set a light watermelon tourmaline into a very simple solitaire ring in 18k rose gold.

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about customising a setting that lets you wear it both as a pearl enhancer and clips tightly onto a ring too?

I like pink so the pink spinels have my vote :)
Great idea. However, I would have to go to Bangkok or at the gem fair to get a nicely colored calibrated melees. :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My bright yellow Thai sapphires (no diffusion) that I had sent for re-cut. They used to be lopsided with the pavilion not centered. The oval used to be 2.43carats and now down to 1.98 carats because the culet was not centered. The other stones used to be a lop-sided cushion at 2.53 carats, and now at 2.22 carats.

image.jpeg

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also had another 18k rose gold ring done with an unheated mint tourmaline and yellow and pink sapphires to pair with my watermelon tourmaline ring.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those two rings go so well together. I love it. Pastel goodness! :love:

deco1

Rough_Rock
The tourmaline looks very pretty in rose gold -- I would not have thought of it. Your spinel is a showstopper.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seaglow you have such lovely gems and jewelry. :love:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you elle, Burmesedaze, deco1, and Lisa RN!

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like rose gold and have a couple of rose gold rings that I haven't really focused on here on this thread. One is a 7.53cts. color-change diaspore (aka as "Zultanite") in 14K. I bought it direct from the producer of color-change diospore Turkish company called Zultani after unsuccessfully finding one in Istanbul (the stones at the shops were usually fakes). Another one is a morganite ring in 18K made by Spanish jewelry maker SuperOro.

Here are the web photos and actual photos. The morganite is more of a peach and I have taken a photo of the ring beside my 5.82 carats unheated pink morganite.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Taken in different lighting conditions....
Here's a nice unheated hot pink tourmaline, 2.68 carats.

Beside it is an unheated Burmese flame spinel solitaire ring, 1.66 carats in 18k gold.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results